PDA

View Full Version : USN Helicopter Sqn Cdr Arrested After Fleeing From Scene of Alleged Sexual Assault

RAFEngO74to09
14th Sep 2016, 14:59
All over the local TV this morning including 911 call from neighbor who heard screaming - details in linked Navy Times article.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/navy-co-attempted-to-sexually-assault-fellow-officer-in-san-diego-police

RAFEngO74to09
14th Sep 2016, 15:25
Local TV segment including media briefing from SDPD Lt:

SDPD: Navy Commander accused of assault with intent to rape - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8 (http://www.cbs8.com/story/33084244/sdpd-navy-commander-facing-sexual-assault-charges)

NutLoose
14th Sep 2016, 20:00
Such a sad turn of events if he is guilty, the reply to the second post infers that there is probably more to the story than in the report, however I totally agree with their first line, rape is rape no matter how you put it.

Lonewolf_50
15th Sep 2016, 14:37
Such a sad turn of events if he is guilty, the reply to the second post infers that there is probably more to the story than in the report, however I totally agree with their first line, rape is rape no matter how you put it. NutLoose, you are not quite right. Sexual assault and rape are not by default the same thing, particularly when the law sits down and decides what charges to proffer. Aside that, your pun is in bad taste.
Just to remind you of how it works: rape can usually be classified as sexual assault (of which is a specific subset) but not all sexual assault is rape. (Example: your boss comes up behind your wife at a party and grabs her tits. Were this to result in charges, he could be charged with sexual assault, but not with rape, and rightly so. There may be further charges if you subsequently deck him, assault and battery, but I digress).
From the Navy Times article: Police allege that Cmdr. John Neuhart was arrested at around 3 a.m. while fleeing the residence of the alleged victim, a Navy junior officer, according to an internal report obtained by Navy Times. And then there are the possible fraternization charges, and a few on conduct unbecoming, all in the UCMJ. Here's a clue that someone was out to lunch: what were you doing at a JO's house at 3 in the morning?

We'll see what's behind this story in due course, but I am reminded of an old line from Captain Hopwood's well worn poem:

Though Armor, the belt that protects her,
The ship bears the scar on her side;
It is well if the court acquit thee;
It were best hadst thou never been tried.

NutLoose
15th Sep 2016, 14:50
Aside that, your pun is in bad taste. I am at a loss, what pun???

There were comments added on the original article, as you can note I mentioned what I was commenting on, the person adding them seemed to know more about what had happened than the article inferred, if you had read it, it inferred he had been drinking with her and had been invited back, hence my reply the reply to the second post infersAs for the rape is rape line, I was again making it clear i was referring to the comments added by the same person and mentioned above at the bottom of the article, something I totally agree with, regardless of whether this incident has anything to do with it.

I was also not being judgemental as various things can and cannot have happened and he as a respected figure in the community needs a fair shake of the dice to see if he is gulity or innocent, hence the Such a sad turn of events if he is guilty..

West Coast
15th Sep 2016, 14:52
I didn't see it either.

Shack37
15th Sep 2016, 15:05
We'll see what's behind this story in due course, but I am reminded of an old line from Captain Hopwood's well worn poem:

Though Armor, the belt that protects her,
The ship bears the scar on her side;
It is well if the court acquit thee;
It were best hadst thou never been tried.

Not quite sure what you´re saying here LW50. Do you mean he should not have been arrested and therefore not tried either?. This would indicate to me that you are accusing the JO (victim) of crying Wolf.

NutLoose
15th Sep 2016, 15:08
If you look at the link you will see

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 6:30 PM Updated: Sep 14, 2016 3:23 PM

I bet they were advised to remove the comments and prevent additional ones being added.

NutLoose
15th Sep 2016, 17:21
I found the reply, the browser I use on my iPad shows it, here is what I was referring to.

Philip Peter Princetta · Works at Chiropractic Physician
First of all--rape is rape end of story--No is no is no is no. However, in this case I question the fact that both partied knew one another; they had been drinking together; and she invited him over to her house. It would seem the intention of both parties was to have intimate relations at her place. And if she changed her mind then she has the right to--still seems to me something not right here.
Like · Reply · Sep 14, 2016 4:15pm

downsizer
15th Sep 2016, 18:39
I can't be the only one who fails to see the point of threads like this?

NutLoose
15th Sep 2016, 21:41
I agree, I just do not like people inferring I am making cheap jokes out of what must have been and probably still is an horrific time for the lady involved.

salad-dodger
15th Sep 2016, 22:01
How ironic Nut that you agree that threads such as these are pointless when you have started so many of them.

S-D

Lonewolf_50
16th Sep 2016, 19:07
@NUtloose:
The pun I picked up was perhaps unintentional.
Rape is rape no matter how you put it.

Lonewolf_50
16th Sep 2016, 19:09
Not quite sure what you´re saying here LW50. Do you mean he should not have been arrested and therefore not tried either?. This would indicate to me that you are accusing the JO (victim) of crying Wolf.
Shack37:
No, you are not even close to right in parsing my post. The point is that for an officer, the commander, getting yourself into enough trouble to face the court martial in the first place is the problem, whether or not you are able to beat the rap won't matter. ('Twere best hadst thou never been tried refers to staying out of that kind of trouble in the first place.) The person against whom the allegations are levied is a senior officer, who is doing precisely what at the dwelling of a junior officer at 3 in the morning? Does that clear up my meaning for you?

How you got out of that my thinking the other party cried wolf is curious to me.

As an aside: are you not familiar with the poem I cited. It's called The Laws of the Navy.

Shack37
17th Sep 2016, 15:44
Shack37:
No, you are not even close to right in parsing my post. The point is that for an officer, the commander, getting yourself into enough trouble to face the court martial in the first place is the problem, whether or not you are able to beat the rap won't matter. ('Twere best hadst thou never been tried refers to staying out of that kind of trouble in the first place.) The person against whom the allegations are levied is a senior officer, who is doing precisely what at the dwelling of a junior officer at 3 in the morning? Does that clear up my meaning for you?

How you got out of that my thinking the other party cried wolf is curious to me.

As an aside: are you not familiar with the poem I cited. It's called The Laws of the Navy.

LW_50
Thanks for the clarification. I´m not familiar with the poem but will look it up and see. Certainly the verse you quoted appears to say he shouldn´t have been tried which indicates to me at least that you believe he has been "set up" Do we know that he was invited back to her place by the JO?

Off now in search of The Laws of the Navy.

Just read the poem in full and agree. T´would be better had he not allowed himself to get into this situation.