PDA

View Full Version : Outdated Airservices Folders - CAR, CAO etc… replace or amend?

rymi
11th Sep 2016, 07:07
For those of you who, like me, did your CPL a few years back and may now be doing ATPL exams.

My Airservices folders (CAR, CAO, DAPs, AIP) have been gathering dust and are grossly outdated (5 years or so). With almost everything one could need a finger touch away on an iPad, there has been no need to update them.

For the ATPL exams, is it possible to update them by buying the latest amendment, ie. will that bring them up to date regardless of how old they are, or do I need to replace the entire document?

Thanks for any help.

Dawn Patrol
12th Sep 2016, 00:12
When I did my CPL exams I had old outdated versions of everything but the AIP.
While I studied I just checked the references as I went along and found pretty much everything was the same. Just printed out a few things like Part 61, the new Duty Time instrument and some various others as required and replaced them myself.
There'd be a chance of being caught out on a question, but it didn't happen and saved lots of dollars.

Hasselhof
12th Sep 2016, 01:25
You'll probably find that a cheap laser printer and two reams of paper is cheaper than buying it from Air Services, so just do that and print it out. It you've already got a printer then happy days.

mattyj
12th Sep 2016, 08:05
Go on the website and check each pages effective dates against yours. By the time you're finished, you're going to be so familiar with the stupid regs you'll ace the exams

Supermouse3
12th Sep 2016, 09:26
I heard New Zealand uses Ipad's for accessing regs in exams.

give it 10 years and we might see the same in Australia.

aldee
13th Sep 2016, 05:42
Don't think we're that advanced yet.
However Massey are certified to carry 2 iPads with avplan efb & no paper for their CPL training:ok:

MakeItHappenCaptain
13th Sep 2016, 08:47
For the ATPL exams, is it possible to update them by buying the latest amendment, ie. will that bring them up to date regardless of how old they are, or do I need to replace the entire document?

You will miss out on any pages that were amended between your previous subscription and the amendment you purchase. Occasionally, with a big enough change, Airservices will reissue the entire document.
You could always put your set up for sale to a CPL student after you're finished...