PDA

View Full Version : Which to do first Medical or ATPL assessment.

LukeT
9th Sep 2016, 18:07
Hello there,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm looking to apply at either CAEOAA early next year for my ATPL. I was wondering whether or not to apply for my class 1 medical before I do these tests or after? If I get my medical first would it be beneficial to my assessment? Or should I hold out on my medical and see if I can even pass the aptitude tests first? I've been weighing up the PRO's and CON's. If anyone could shed some light on what they find preferable or how they went about it, it would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Luke

paco
10th Sep 2016, 06:08
If you don't get the medical, there's no point in doing the assessment, aside from personal interest.

Phil

fa2fi
10th Sep 2016, 08:08
I always recommend you do the medical before anything else. You could be capable of 100% passes in all subject and first time passes on flight tests but those would all be pointless without the relevant medical.

MaverickPrime
10th Sep 2016, 08:24
Cure-able or temporary illnesses aside, if you fail the medical that's it all over!

If you fail an ATPL assessment it's not the end of the world, you can go away and work on your weaknesses and try again later.

oggers
10th Sep 2016, 10:18
Well it would certainly be unwise to embark on training without a class 1. But taking aptitude tests? Bearing in mind the intial medical costs more than the CAE assessment and you have to go to Swanwick, it isn't such a straightforward question. I would simply do whichever is most convenient first. Having the medical is not going to improve your 'score', if that's what is on your mind.

LukeT
12th Sep 2016, 13:59
Thank you all for the speedy responses. So the general consensus is, do your medical before doing anything else.

jamesgrainge
13th Sep 2016, 08:40
Can someone fill me in on the benefits of actually doing the aptitude tests? Would I be thinking that if you have never sat in a cockpit before and intend on embarking on the career they have some benefit, but if you are doing the modular route by the time it comes to the CPL you should have an indication of your abilities during flight?

RichardH
13th Sep 2016, 19:13
Remember NO class 1 medical = no CPL/ATPL end of story - this is your priority.
Can't pass aptitude tests might mean a more longer/modular route, however their lots of commercial pilots flying around without ever passing an initial aptitude test.

The aptitude tests are supposed to give an INDICATION on how successful you might be during an integrated ATPL course and then onto a flying job. They are supposed to weed out those with little chance. This of course is all depending on how good the test actually is or is it a money generating scheme in disguise. You are unlikely to get on an integrated course without passing one but modular is normally no problem.

If you did an aptitude test and performed badly in most of the sections then that might be a message for you and if you found difficulty in either ground school of the flying that might be confirmation.

As an experienced freelance ATPL instructor I do see some students who have passed aptitude tests but they can't work out 10% of 20 without reaching for a calculator - worrying. Then there are those with no aptitude tests do very well I can think of a couple of over 30s who have just secured good initial F/O jobs.

IMHO they are okay not critical but a class 1 is a must.

Alex Whittingham
13th Sep 2016, 21:06
Aptitude tests, properly conducted (and not all are), can give you an indication whether you are likely or not to run into problems in training. They cannot measure effort, and some who pass the tests with flying colours won't apply themselves and others who score lower will work and work and achieve better results. Aptitude tests for pilots who are substantially into their training are pointless. Some very experienced pilots with thousands of hours of jet time and TRI qualifications have taken cadet aptitude tests and failed them.