PDA

View Full Version : One fingered Watch..?

Peter-RB
9th Sep 2016, 07:00
Nearly every day I see an advert at the bottom of Pprune main page for a Swiss Made One Fingered Wrist Watch......Why...only one finger have the Swiss done away with seconds and minutes..??

Adam Nams
9th Sep 2016, 07:07
How does a one handed watch work? (https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-single-handed-watch-and-how-to-you-tell-time-on-one)

izod tester
9th Sep 2016, 07:43
The clock on the church tower at Coningsby has only one hand and is large enough to be read from a long distance.

ShyTorque
9th Sep 2016, 08:12
Interesting that the link from Adam Nams is about one handed watches but shows a photo of a watch with two hands!

Sue VÍtements
9th Sep 2016, 13:28
So it's just a watch with the minute hand removed then?

lomapaseo
9th Sep 2016, 15:07
So it's just a watch with the minute hand removed then?

How would you really know?

ian16th
9th Sep 2016, 15:33
So it's just a watch with the minute hand removed then? The church clock in Coningsby village has only 3 marks between each digit on the clock face.

This is to show the quarter hours using the one 'hour hand', rather that the 4 marks used to indicate minutes by the minute hand.

ShyTorque
9th Sep 2016, 15:36
As the late Hylda Baker used to say: "It's a quarter past ....er ... Eeh, I must get a little hand put on this watch!"

Sue VÍtements
9th Sep 2016, 16:05
Freaky! There's an advert at the bottom the page for a Swiss Made One Fingered Wrist Watch! :ooh:

G-CPTN
9th Sep 2016, 16:09
Advert?

What are they?

Fareastdriver
9th Sep 2016, 16:17
Never see them. I've got Adblock.

Sue VÍtements
9th Sep 2016, 16:26
I had pruneblock for a while. Several years in fact, but it seems the effect is wearing off

Tankertrashnav
9th Sep 2016, 16:47
Its funny, Mrs TTN who doesn't use the internet much is always looking over my shoulder and saying (for example) "what's that one-handed watch thing?"

The point is I never notice the things she sees around the periphery of the screen until she points them out, I only see what I'm concentrating on.

Have I got tunnel vision?

(Must look out for that one fingered watch!)

(Just had a look - today it's a Beatles limited edition watch which has the usual complement of hands. Only £975, how can I live without it?)

Sue VÍtements
9th Sep 2016, 16:51
Cue the obvious joke:

A one-handed watch is perfect for the internet which after all consists largely of one-handed web sites :=

ShyTorque
9th Sep 2016, 16:52
I was in the pub earlier and a bloke offered me one fingered watch. As he had said it was stolen I didn't want it.

meadowrun
9th Sep 2016, 17:32
http://www.journeyifc.com/modx/assets/images/Refractions/NowWatch.jpg

Pontius Navigator
9th Sep 2016, 19:37
The church clock in Coningsby village has only 3 marks between each digit on the clock face.

This is to show the quarter hours using the one 'hour hand', rather that the 4 marks used to indicate minutes by the minute hand.
Digressing, the judges of the best kept village voted Coningsby down for two reasons. The top of the war memorial had broken off and the church had lost its minute hand.

It was later pointed out that the memorial featured a symbolic broken column and of course the clock . . .

Geordie_Expat
9th Sep 2016, 19:51

Haven't seen that one before. Like it :ok:

Sue VÍtements
9th Sep 2016, 20:02
I was in the pub earlier and a bloke offered me onCe fingered watch. As he had said it was stolen I didn't want it.

Pontius Navigator
9th Sep 2016, 20:21
I was in the pub earlier and a bloke offered me one fingered watch. As he had said it was stolen I didn't want it.
May be he had several and offered only one :)

onetrack
10th Sep 2016, 04:24
The one-fingered watch is obviously the perfect accessory for the light-fingered person.

rans6andrew
10th Sep 2016, 21:09
I have a one handed clock. It was advertised on our local "freecycle scheme" and, not surprisingly, needs a little attention. It is a floor standing pendulum clock, not as big as a grandfather or even a grandmother clock. Someone suggested it my be called a granddaughter clock. It stands about 4ft6 tall. The wooden case has seen better days and it needs a new glass. The person giving it away says it fell over some years ago but before that it was working. My first thought was that it had lost a hand at some point in it's long lifetime but a swift look at the mechanism shows that it never had another hand, there being no spindle or wheels to drive one. The mechanism seems to be complete.

Devon Flyer
10th Sep 2016, 21:17

You've got it on upside down and its telling you its MONday

Uncle Fred
10th Sep 2016, 21:24
Should one have little extra money tucked away, there is the Bell&Ross one-hander: E-boutique - WW1 HEURE SAUTANTE ROSE GOLD - Bell & Ross Official Site (http://www.bellross.com/us/shop/watches/details/467.html)

I like the Botto 24 hour models better--and a person can afford them!
https://www.botta-design.de/en/watchmodels/uno-24/

10th Sep 2016, 22:41
Telling the time with one hand:
rkGIEt1o9m4

ShyTorque
10th Sep 2016, 23:25
May be he had several and offered only one :)
I gave him a two fingered one.

Loose rivets
10th Sep 2016, 23:40
Pal just qualified and then took me flying. He did quite well until he needed to give an ETA. He frowned at his watch for a very long minute.

'Watcha doing?'

No answer, but he then gave an erroneous ETA.

Later he explained that while setting the watch he felt the crown shaft break. It had stayed broken for a couple of years.

All he had to do was remember if it was GMT or Summertime, and then add one or two hours and twenty-three minutes. Easy - if ATC are not waiting for an answer. :8

radeng
11th Sep 2016, 01:12
Today's youth can't tell the time from an analogue dial anyway, so it's simplified for them. Like the old joke of the military aircraft that asks control for the time and is told "If you're army, its 3pm, if you're navy it's 4 bells in the afternoon watch, if you're air force it's 1500 and if you're marine corps, the big hand is at Mickey Mouse and the little hand is at Goofy".

vulcanised
11th Sep 2016, 12:39
Allegedly heard on ATC

"Can you give me a rough time check?"

"Tuesday"

ShyTorque
11th Sep 2016, 14:56
A certain "observatory" (met office) advertised that they now had a new, extremely expensive atomic clock and aircrew could now get a far more accurate time check than ever before.

Seeing as they'd advertised it at some length, I rang the new number given, for a time check for our morning formal met briefing. I was expecting to hear an automated speaking clock.

Instead I heard a fumbled rattling as someone picked up the receiver and said "Yes?"

Me: "Er...hello. I thought I had rung the new number for a time check".

Him: "What? Time check? Oh..er hang on..I'll go over and have a look..(short pause)... OK, it's just coming up to a quarter to eight".

Me: "Er, right, thanks....!"

I never rang again.

teeteringhead
11th Sep 2016, 16:10
It's a bit more than a normal watch with the minute hand removed (although apparently the movement inside has the drive for one).

I have one myself - the idea of it intrigued me so I got myself one as a retirement present!

The single hand sweeps 24 hours in a rotation, rather than 12 (don't know about Coningsby) and - with practice - you can read it to the nearest 5 minutes. And to be perfectly honest how many of us - especially poor pensioners comme moi - really need to know the time more accurately than that .....

I quite like its eccentricity, and their slogan: "Make every second count; but don't count the seconds!"

Pretty good motto methinks ................

[And I get the adverts below, but I thought that was because Big Data knows I bought one online!]

ian16th
11th Sep 2016, 20:08
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz108/ian16th/Coningsby.jpg

Coningsby Church, courtesy Giggle Earth.

The Land Rover with the smudged number plate, I wonder where it comes from? Anyone care to guess?

teeteringhead
11th Sep 2016, 21:15
Thanks for sight of the Coningsby Church, Ian.

That seems to have a 12 hour dial - like Westminster Abbey which also has one hand IIRC? - but the as the watch has a 24 hr dial, it means that while midday is still at "12 o'clock", midnight is at "6 o'clock", 6pm at "3 o'clock" and 6am at "9 o'clock".

Reading that sounds totally confusing, but honestly it isn't!

Loose rivets
11th Sep 2016, 22:42
Just for general interest, a mention again about the Seiko electronic chronometer. It was the first in the world and finally, I purchased one in Colchester. That was '85.

In recent years I restored mine and then bid for a load more. I loved the time I spent on restoring them, yet most are still in Texas.

t'other day I received another one I 'won' on the US bay. Ripping it apart is totally absorbing. It has four motors each with a gear train. The circuit layer is thin floppy with the one c 7mm square chip to one side. All connections are made by simply laying it on and then screwing down the back plate.

Wanna look? Some fine photos on a UK forum. The bluey green stuff is amazing. I use it mostly to capture screws, but its chemistry really does take off mild corrosion.

These chaps really know their stuff.

Topic: Inside the 7A38 - Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers (http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7517616-inside-the-7a38)

Uncle Fred
12th Sep 2016, 00:16
It's a bit more than a normal watch with the minute hand removed (although apparently the movement inside has the drive for one).

I have one myself - the idea of it intrigued me so I got myself one as a retirement present!

The single hand sweeps 24 hours in a rotation, rather than 12 (don't know about Coningsby) and - with practice - you can read it to the nearest 5 minutes. And to be perfectly honest how many of us - especially poor pensioners comme moi - really need to know the time more accurately than that .....

I quite like its eccentricity, and their slogan: "Make every second count; but don't count the seconds!"

Pretty good motto methinks ................

[And I get the adverts below, but I thought that was because Big Data knows I bought one online!]

What make and model do you have Teteeringhead? Sounds like a lot of fun.

teeteringhead
12th Sep 2016, 10:30
Uncle Fred

Mine is a Slow Jo 17, made by Slow - website is here. (https://www.slow-watches.com/?gclid=CJDMi8rAic8CFcZuGwodgwYEUw)

Prices are around 200GBP, but it's a fine looker - and a conversation starter!

I'll PM you this in case Mods delete me for advertising!! [No commercial connection!] :ok:

Uncle Fred
15th Sep 2016, 15:06
Cool watch Teetering. I really like this idea...as the question is posed on the site "Does it matter if it is 3:41 or 3:42?"

Mostly Harmless
15th Sep 2016, 16:31
The Land Rover with the smudged number plate, I wonder where it comes from? Anyone care to guess?

India? ;)

Duck and cover.

rans6andrew
15th Sep 2016, 21:50
I am making my self a bedroom clock that only indicates to the nearest five minutes. Five minutes is plenty precise enough in the night It has a unique display which illuminates just bright enough to see however bright the room is. For the curious it is similar in principal to the Fibonacci clock, gurgle is your helper. The segments have been reshaped to make them all different. The idea is to make a clock that I can read, day or night and when I don't have my contact lenses in. Despite only reading to give or take 2.5 minutes the actual time is decoded from the NPL atomic clock signal transmitted from Althorn.

ExSp33db1rd
16th Sep 2016, 00:16
What make and model do you have Teteeringhead? Sounds like a lot of fun.

Around the end of the '60's I bought a "Glycine Airman" watch, this had a 24 hr dial as above, but also a minute hand and second sweep, and date, and in addition an exterior moveable bezel to set "local" time.

I used to keep the movement, i.e. the hour hand, on GMT and when arriving in some far removed time zone just move the bezel around to the required number of hours difference.

This did mean that the 24 notation for "local" time was no longer at the top, and it took a bit of practice to read. It was also automatic, i.e. body movement kept it wound up, no batteries.

The date display of course was slaved to whatever time zone the moving hour hand was set to, in my case usually GMT, so of course that caught me out a few times !

I still have it, but as I rarely leave the present 12 hour time zone difference there is little point,and I now use a "normal" analogue watch of regular size, not one of the present vogue of enormous watches. I hate digitals as much as I hate Windows H'eight, one doesn't need to "read" a watch to the nearest second, rather one looks at the "picture", and decides that it is "nearly" a quarter to ten, etc.

Offers ? ( in the region of a million quid please )

Uncle Fred
16th Sep 2016, 06:09
Ex,

Looking at the images of the Glycine Airman reveal a nice bit of kit. Ebay showing some of the older models at close to 1,700 USD.

What is it about piloting and watches. Just this week I mentioned to SWMBO that I was thinking of taking a slice of the profit from a recent stock sale and....

....as you can imagine that I did not get to finish the sentence as she cocked the eyebrow and said "A new watch is it then?" Obviously another watch was clearly implied. Guilty as charged.

ExSp33db1rd
17th Sep 2016, 06:40
What is it about piloting and watches. ............

Stewardess at a crew layover hotel approached the Concierge and asked that he stop all the pilots on the crew swimming naked in the hotel pool. Madam, said the Conc. If they're naked how do you know that they're Pilots ? Easy, was the reply, they've all got big watches and little cocks.

Captain Dart
17th Sep 2016, 06:43
An oldie but a goodie.

The comeback is to say to the stewardess, 'My, what a small watch you're wearing'.