PDA

View Full Version : Soviet fighter lands in Japan - 1976

vapilot2004
9th Sep 2016, 06:58
Caution - aviation content (apologies) :O
Excerpt from a fairly in depth and interesting article on a piece of Cold War history.On 6 September 1976, an aircraft appears out of the clouds near the Japanese city of Hakodate, on the northern island of Hokkaido. It’s a twin-engined jet, but not the kind of short-haul airliner Hakodate is used to seeing. This huge, grey hulk sports the red stars of the Soviet Union. No-one in the West has ever seen one before.

The jet lands on Hakodate’s concrete-and-asphalt runway. The runway, it turns out, is not long enough. The jet ploughs through hundreds of feet of earth before it finally comes to rest at the far end of the airport.

The pilot climbs out of the plane’s cockpit and fires two warning shots from his pistol – motorists on the road next to the airport have been taking pictures of this strange sight. It is some minutes before airport officials, driving from the terminal, reach him. It is then that the 29-year-old pilot, Flight Lieutenant Viktor Ivanovich Belenko of the Soviet Air Defence Forces, announces that he wishes to defect.

The Pilot Who Stole a Secret Soviet Fighter Jet - BBC - In Depth (http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160905-the-pilot-who-stole-a-secret-soviet-fighter-jet)

Sue Vêtements
9th Sep 2016, 13:32
If it took 'some minutes' for anyone to reach him, why would he need to fire 'two warning shorts from his pistol'?

Warning about what?

Sounds more like an American pilot - except that it would have been 'from one of his many pistols'

ok we're off and running now :E

GordonR_Cape
9th Sep 2016, 14:41
Don't tease, it was the Mach 3.2 Mig-25 Foxbat!

I read the article (posted 3 days ago), a good mix of history and aviation conent IMO.

Harley Quinn
9th Sep 2016, 16:55
Caution - aviation content (apologies) :O
Excerpt from a fairly in depth and interesting article on a piece of Cold War history and how actions of a Russian pilot led to the development of the F-15 Eagle:

Pretty certain F15 first flight was 1972

charliegolf
9th Sep 2016, 17:11
I read Belenko's biography- by Barron, I think. Good read, called, 'Mig Pilot'.

AtomKraft
9th Sep 2016, 18:03
It's not Mig

It's MiG!

Mikoyan is the 'Mi' bit.

G for Gurevich.

MiG, ffs!;)

GordonR_Cape
9th Sep 2016, 18:10
The MiG-25 was unveiled in 1967, and entered service in 1970, while the F-15 was still under development. The paraphrased context at the start of the thread may be slightly garbled, but the article is clear about the sequence.

The whole point of the article is that until 1976 the capabilities of the MiG-25 were misunderstood. Until then its mere existence spurred on development of the F-15, and a lot of performance enhancements were added after the first F-15 flight in 1972!

tony draper
9th Sep 2016, 18:16
Dont think the Mig 25 after they got to peek at its clockwork turned out to bethe wizbang bit of kit the Murican military industrial complex had warned them of,never mind they still got to build the F15 Eagle just in case it had been.:E

Pontius Navigator
9th Sep 2016, 18:22
The Foxbat was intended to counter the XB70. The F15 was intended to counter the Backfire which was credited with an inter-continental capability.

Mechta
9th Sep 2016, 20:49
Back in 1991 I visited the in-laws in Zhukovsky, home of LII, the Russian Flight Research Institute. Knowing that I was a bit of an aviation enthusiast, a visit to a club of like minded locals was arranged.
Upon discovering that the chap next to me, who spoke some English, was part of the ground crew for LII's MiG 25, I asked if what Belenko had written about the ground crews drinking the pure alcohol used for cooling the aircraft's systems was true. My new-found friend just pointed at the glass in front of me and asked, "What do you think you are drinking?"

SilsoeSid
9th Sep 2016, 23:29
I read Belenko's biography- by Barron, I think. Good read, called, 'Mig Pilot'.

Certainly is, I have a copy in the garage somewhere. Looks like I should put it up for sale :ok:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mig-Pilot-Final-Escape-Belenko/dp/0380538687

Nervous SLF
10th Sep 2016, 00:34
Has anyone read this book on a very similar theme?
https://secure.syndetics.com/index.aspx?type=xw12&client=nlonzsd&upc=&oclc=&isbn=9781628996845/MC.GIF (https://ent.kotui.org.nz/client/en_AU/rotorua/search/results.displaypanel.displaycell.detailclick/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:3820128/0/0/0?qu=The+MiG+Pilot)

The great leader and the fighter pilot: the true story of the tyrant who created North Korea and the (https://ent.kotui.org.nz/client/en_AU/rotorua/search/results?qu=The%20MiG%20Pilot#)
young lieutenant who stole his way to freedom (https://ent.kotui.org.nz/client/en_AU/rotorua/search/results?qu=The%20MiG%20Pilot#)

Harden, Blaine, author.

Publication Date(s)

Summary
"The story of Kim Il Sung's rise to power, and the brave North Korean fighter pilot who escaped the
prison state and delivered the first MiG-15 into American hands."--

Lookleft
10th Sep 2016, 00:41
From the book I have on the F-15 it was also the MiG 23 that spurred development of the F-15. The USAF was after a tactical fighter in the mould of the F-86. The F-15 was always designed to be capable of close in dog-fighting which is why it was given the gun back. A lot of the lessons from the air war in Vietnam were incorporated into it.

T28B
10th Sep 2016, 02:13
Read Belenko's book when it came out. Interesting read. Even more interesting, when one learned a bit more, was some of the simple but effective engineering that went into the Foxbat.

WhatsaLizad?
10th Sep 2016, 03:02
Spare us the anti American BS Sue. You just sound like a fool.

vapilot2004
10th Sep 2016, 04:42
GordonR and Harley - thanks for pointing out my incorrect assumption regarding the F-15 development. I now realize the article correctly stated:

"The spectre of the MiG-25 had caused the US to embark on a major new aircraft project – one that had helped create the F-15 Eagle, a fighter designed to be fast but also highly manoeuvrable like the MiG was thought to be. Forty years later, the F-15 is still in service."