PDA

View Full Version : Scandinavian doors

57mm
8th Sep 2016, 21:35
Really enjoying the Scandi-noir thrillers, like The Bridge and Wallander, for example. But would like to know why their external doors open outwards, unlike ours. Seems to me to be a a good idea, both from the security and the weatherproofing viewpoints.

pineridge
8th Sep 2016, 23:34
57mm said...............

"But would like to know why their external doors open outwards, unlike ours. Seems to me to be a a good idea, both from the security and the weatherproofing viewpoints"

You are absolutely correct; however, if you knock on a door in Norway, remember to take an immediate step backwards to avoid ending up on your butt or, even worse, at the bottom of the steps.

vapilot2004
9th Sep 2016, 01:02
While I don't know the definitive answer, I have been told an outward opening door is more secure than its inward swinging cousin.

chevvron
9th Sep 2016, 01:06
My main door opens outwards and I'm not in Scandinavia(does get bloody cold in winter though). Lots of homes in the UK have this.

DA50driver
9th Sep 2016, 02:33
I believe it is due to fire codes. Less chance of a pile of bodies in front of the door preventing it from being opened.

Metro man
9th Sep 2016, 02:40
Fire doors open outwards as do most emergency exits. Much harder to kick in a door which opens outwards as well.

Don't their switches move in the opposite direction as well, ie up for on ?

Ancient Mariner
9th Sep 2016, 05:59
So we can push the snowdrifts out.
And yes, up is on, down is off. Rather logical.
Per

ORAC
9th Sep 2016, 06:01
Also sounds like a good way to get trapped inside by the snowdrifts for the winter?

ExSp33db1rd
9th Sep 2016, 07:20
On an early trip to New York, I was told that all American shop doors open outwards in case of fire. Haven't seen them all yet.

Kelly Hopper
9th Sep 2016, 09:42
I know all about this. It is fire regulations as it is considered habitual to push a door when you are panicking to evacuate. That said the snow outside in winter is a potential problem if it drifts up to the door! It wont open. Large windows that open inwards are a good idea but for some reason outward opening windows are preferred?

G-CPTN
9th Sep 2016, 10:04
I recall the winter of 1947. When we opened the back door, the snow was solid up to the top (the door was in a corner of the yard).
My older brother was let out of the (sash) window to wade to the shed to retrieve the shovel and begin digging.

jimtherev
9th Sep 2016, 10:52
I recall the winter of 1947. When we opened the back door, the snow was solid up to the top (the door was in a corner of the yard).
My older brother was let out of the (sash) window to wade to the shed to retrieve the shovel and begin digging.
Yup - feel cold just to remember that one. In Jan '63 had to take a shovel up to me front bedroom, climbed out of the window and dug my way down to the door. Since the snow had drifted to 8 feet, 'twas a whole lot of digging.

Sue VÍtements
9th Sep 2016, 12:22
I thought Scandinavian houses had two doors: A summer one on the Ground (American First) floor and a Winter one on the First (American second) floor

I figure the front door opening outwards it probably to protect it from getting pushed in by the pressure from the snow drifts

Light switches are backward in the US too

RedhillPhil
9th Sep 2016, 13:34
We have outward opening doors for no other reason than it gives the impression of having more space in the room.