PDA

View Full Version : Flight Planning Software Australia

Brakerider
8th Sep 2016, 18:45
Hi All

I recently learnt that Command Flight Planner is being discontinued.

What are other organisations/people using for Flight Planning? I understand Champagne FP3000 is fairly common, but it has some odd limitations, such as not being able to add more than 2 alternates, and the NAIPS weather import is nowhere near the standard of that in Command.

I understand Ozrunways and Avplan have flight planning functions, but I am keen for something that is primarily PC based.

zanthrus
8th Sep 2016, 22:43
OzRunways for PC would be awesome!
Great for an up to date reference library and flight planning.

holdingagain
9th Sep 2016, 04:38
And make sure its ok on my big mac and not limited to windows

AerocatS2A
9th Sep 2016, 10:42
holdingagain, Parallels is your friend.

PLovett
9th Sep 2016, 12:09
I understand there is a version of FP3000 now available for iPad. Some limitations to the program version I believe. Concur with Aerocats about Parallels. It has worked well for me.

Jenna Talia
9th Sep 2016, 13:01
CFP fell asleep at the wheel a long time ago.

A few years ago I contacted them and asked whether they intend to develop an iPad app and was told there was no plan to do so. They didn't intend to develop a Mac version either.

AvPlan and Oz Runways have obviously impacted, resulting in their demise.

Horatio Leafblower
9th Sep 2016, 13:28
Jenna,

The cause of the demise is the cost of Airservices Data.

"Cost recovery" is so much greater than any other State.

We have been searching for a replacement for CFP and frankly there is nothing out there that can match it for useability. Champagne doesn't come close.

MikeJulietHotel
9th Sep 2016, 22:24
I've pasted below text of a recent email I got from OzRunways. I hope I'm not breaching any rules here, but this may be of interest to the topic.

SkyVector maps - available now!

SkyVector.com is a great mapping & planning website with complete worldwide VFR and IFR maps. We have recently licensed these maps to make them available for offline use in OzRunways.

We have given you a free trial to try the maps. They are in your OzRunways maps list now. Check them out !

To permanently add SkyVector to your subscription, visit your account page and choose 'Optional Extras' → SkyVector

Global ERC High and Low IFR maps

Global VFR extracts: SE Asia, Africa + Middle East and Latin America (more available on request).

Create a flight plan on skyvector.com → Export to OzRunways

Jenna Talia
10th Sep 2016, 08:38
Horatio,

I agree with you that CFP was a superior product and I have no about what you say is true in reference to costs associated with ASA.

I contacted them a few times in the hope they would create an app, but to no avail. I tried Champagne once and it is was no where near as good as CFP. Champagne have an app and if they did not go this route, I am sure they would have been also been left behind.

Bevan666
21st Dec 2016, 21:35
Hi Folks

I'm happy to let you know that we (AvPlan EFB) have acquired Command Flight Planner and will continue to maintain and support it into the future.

All functionality will remain the same moving forward, except we aim to add the ability to wirelessly push flight plans from CFP into AvPlan EFB.

As before, head to www.commandsoftware.com.au (http://commandsoftware.com.au/) to buy or renew. Direct support enquiries as before to [email protected] or call on +61 3 8370 3024.

Learn more at http://www.avplan-efb.com/blog/avsoft-australia…command-software/ (http://www.avplan-efb.com/blog/avsoft-australia-acquire-command-software)

Thanks,

Bevan..

mcgrath50
21st Dec 2016, 23:19
Only just noticed Command has some log book software. It look nice and simple, clean with all the features you need an no more. Which I like but it's a little expensive!

Anyone used it and have any thoughts?

PPRuNeUser0201
22nd Dec 2016, 01:58
Jenna,

The cause of the demise is the cost of Airservices Data.

"Cost recovery" is so much greater than any other State.

We have been searching for a replacement for CFP and frankly there is nothing out there that can match it for useability. Champagne doesn't come close.
Horatio,
Firstly, I have no knowledge of how much the Airservices data costs however, you’re making a pretty bold,and unsubstantiated claim about the cost of Airservices data being the reason that a product to failed particularly when a number of products such as OzRunways and AvPlan EFB have been able to develop software/apps that are financially viable, successful and useful. I note that AvPlan EFB have even been able to grow by purchasing CFP!

I would suggest that if Champagne or CFP didn't realise a technical revolution was occurring right before their eyes, with tablet based products being the new way of doing things, that's their fault for not adapting. And from my reading of the other posts, this is exactly what has occurred. 'You snooze you lose'. Many people (not all – I know) have moved away from using PCs/Macs and are solely using Ipads or similar. For instance when I go flying (privately) I only use my phone and Ipad to obtain wx, Notams, submit a plan or to navigate. Gone are the days of needing to have paper onboard other than the AFM and licence and medical.

In terms of cost recovery, this is common across most Australian government departments or enterprises, including Airservices. If you haven't noticed, it costs a lot of money to do business in Australia - not just in aviation. So unless you have a contemporary business model that is able to leverage the financial operating environment or get government incentives, give it away.

Old Akro
22nd Dec 2016, 02:37
Command Flight Planner was a great programme. I let it lapse after I started using AvPlan. Now that the two are going to integrate I look forward to picking it up again for the convenience of desktop flight planning.

Nice move Bevan.

As an aside, the ADS-B traffic display on Avplan from the Stratux box is really cool. Can't wait for Cy Young to get AHRS working on Stratux.

Ultralights
22nd Dec 2016, 03:12
Will current users of Avplan have access to CFP in the future?