PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Fatigue Documentary

ps123
8th Sep 2016, 16:40
Hi everyone, my name is Paula Slier and I posted a few times in the past as part of a series of ​reports I did for RT (Russia Today) on pilot fatigue while covering the FlyDubai crash in March. Sadly the topic faded with time but our investigation hasn't. That's why we are now working on a documentary about this global challenge facing the airline industry. The documentary will air on RT which is watched in more than 60 countries and we are looking for pilots from different airlines and countries that would agree to be interviewed and can share both facts and personal stories with us - the focus is fatigue as an international airline problem/challenge. Of course, as in the past, all information will be treated with the utmost confidence. We do need people to appear on camera. First prize is being able to show your face - second prize is we will blur all details. I will come with a cameraman to interview you.

Anyone who is willing to participate can contact me at [email protected]

Here is a link to some of the work we've done: https://www.rt.com/op-edge/338525-fl...nalism-russia/

Thank you in advance,

Paula Slier

LLuCCiFeR
10th Sep 2016, 13:38
Good to see that you're still on the case Paula! :ok:

777boyindubai
10th Sep 2016, 18:05
I am sure that there are many EK and FD pilots, both current and past, that would talk to you. Perhaps you should also post in the ME forum.

Wageslave
10th Sep 2016, 20:48
What exactly is Russia Today's angle on fatigue in Western airlines, I wonder? It doesn't strike me as a very independent-minded organ, to say the least.

777boyindubai
10th Sep 2016, 20:59
And the GCCA is? The EasyJet mob are set to go on strike over fatigue. Fatigue is fatigue where ever and I hope that unsafe operators are pulled up. Fatigue is rampant at EK. The rosters are unsustainable.

racedo
10th Sep 2016, 21:44
What exactly is Russia Today's angle on fatigue in Western airlines, I wonder? It doesn't strike me as a very independent-minded organ, to say the least.

Like BBC....................... funded by UK Govt is ?

ExDubai
10th Sep 2016, 21:59
To be fair, WSJ and RT where the first media outlets which started investigations on this topic. Most "western media" are silent on this topic.

Edit: From my point of view Paula did a great job on FZ.

das Uber Soldat
11th Sep 2016, 03:25
Comparing the BBC to RT is absurd. RTs coverage of the Ukraine annexation bordered on satire, as it did with the South Ossettia war.

"Cliff Kincaid, the director of Accuracy in Media's Center for Investigative Journalism, called RT "the well-known disinformation outlet for Russian propaganda".

I'd be highly suspicious of any attempt by an RT journalist in giving an accurate and balanced report in regards to western airlines.

peekay4
11th Sep 2016, 04:54
Apples, oranges.

RT like most outlets today have different types of programming: news, entertainment, documentary / investigative journalism, talk shows, etc.

RT news has been criticized at times for having a pro-Russia bias, and we've seen high-profile resignations in the past from journalists accusing RT of censorship.

But that's just one part of RT. As a whole RT has journalists & correspondents doing good work. During the Ukraine crisis Abby Martin famously condemned Russia's action on air. Larry King and Jesse Ventura currently host shows on RT and they're hardly fans of Putin.

Evaluate Ms. Slier on her previous work to see if she's the person to talk to or not.

https://www.rt.com/news/337388-emirates-gcaa-watchdog-oversight/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Slier

das Uber Soldat
11th Sep 2016, 05:12
RT may be comprised by many sections, but I've never once seen any of those sections criticise Putin. Not once. Not ever. Abby Martin was brave in calling out the absurd propaganda, and it cost her her job. Hardly a good reflection on the organization as a whole.

Sorry to sidetrack.

peekay4
11th Sep 2016, 07:06
Abby Martin was brave in calling out the absurd propaganda, and it cost her her job.
You don't know what you're talking about. Abby Martin did not lose her job and was not sanctioned in any way. In fact she stayed on with RT until the end of the series (the following year) after a three year run.

When the series ended, Abby left in good terms to start her own independent media venture, and to do more field journalism instead of being in the studio. She released a statement thanking RT for her time there (and likewise RT released a statement praising her.)

das Uber Soldat
11th Sep 2016, 07:27
Oops, you're correct. I got my names mixed up, was thinking of Liz Wahl.

“Personally I cannot be part of a network funded by the Russian government which whitewashes the actions of Putin,” Wahl said."

Or Sara Firth;

“It was the most shockingly obvious misinformation and it got to the point where I couldn’t defend it any more,” Firth told the Guardian."

Etc. Difficult to keep track of all the reporters quitting in protest over the blatant misinformation and propaganda distributed by this organization. My apologies.

peekay4
11th Sep 2016, 07:51
Again... apples, oranges. Already covered above.

Ms. Slier has risked her life covering conflicts on the ground in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, etc., and here you are accusing her of bias from the comfort of your basement.

Stan Woolley
11th Sep 2016, 08:12
And you wonder why the state of the industry is the way it is.

Within a few posts the argument has been distracted from what matters. Management have a really easy job keeping pilots in line. Drop the ego's and start working together! :ugh:

das Uber Soldat
11th Sep 2016, 08:13
I haven't accused her of a thing, I've said I'd hold a healthy suspicion of someone from that network, given their history. A not altogether unreasonable position given the actions of those above.

das Uber Soldat
11th Sep 2016, 08:17
Within a few posts the argument has been distracted from what matters. Management have a really easy job keeping pilots in line. Drop the ego's and start working together!
The thread is a request from a journo for help. They've listed their contact details and anyone is free to contact them. The objective of the thread has been met. Having a discussion about the credibility and reliability of the journo and network they represent I don't believe is a bad thing. Is the article a legimate attempt to shine light on a difficulty faced by all of us, or simply a vehicle to ram home a political point that aligns with the usual tripe pushed by RT? Thats what I'm getting at.

If its legit, then have at it. Peekay seems to think so and posted evidence to support his/her position which is a good outcome in my view.

777boyindubai
11th Sep 2016, 11:40
Fatigue is fatigue wherever. I am very happy that Paula is enlightening the general public. Given her past work, I think she deserves a chance. The BBC, Fox and RT all publish their own agenda. By engaging with Paula, we have a chance to show our side of things.

RAT 5
11th Sep 2016, 14:59
I think she should make direct contact with the BALPA CC at easyjet.

Dan Dare
11th Sep 2016, 20:36
Not only pilots fatigue, but ATC and Engineers too

Wageslave
11th Sep 2016, 23:40
The BBC, Fox and RT all publish their own agenda.

Sheet! We're banging our heads against a wall with people as blinkered as this! Are you seriously trying to compare those three as equally biased? On reflection, you can't be.
er - can you???
What ails some peoples' brains? (Bar an INOP Master Caution)

RT isn't journalism, it's PURE ANTI WEST GOVERNMENT PROPAGANDA.

Fox is a bit right wing and BBC is cringe-makingly politically (in)correct and luvvie-leftie biased so both demonstrably far from toeing any government line.

How does anyone who's seen them not get that?

777boyindubai
12th Sep 2016, 11:54
Did I say equally balanced or having their own agendas?

tong
12th Sep 2016, 12:05
Hey Waveslave is that opposed to the pure anti-Russian propaganda, and the USA is going to save the world from the evil (most of which it creates) crap, that we are fed down here by Australian networks? You should take your blinkers off mate :)

RAT 5
12th Sep 2016, 12:42
Does it really matter who lifts the lid off the pot of poo. The more conventional routes and institutions have failed to address the problem or even achieve an airing of the debate.
As has been seen in politics, and even in our industry, the unconventional method can achieve results.

Trossie
14th Sep 2016, 08:33
I would be very, very wary of any 'documentary' by RT. Ms Slier may have a good reputation in other fields, but with RT involvement I would suspect the motives of the 'documentary'. (I would also question the usefulness of any RT documentary in bringing about any real changes in the fatigue situation as I can't see RT being taken that seriously on the matter; the easyJet pilots might be in the process of doing a lot more to promote concerns on this matter.)

If 'fatigue' is going to be investigated, then this incident might be of interest:
Incident: DAT AT72 at Karup on Jan 25th 2016, aligned with runway edge lights for takeoff (http://avherald.com/h?article=492f020f), especially the HCL comment "Due to the recent sleep and the time of day, flight crew performance was impaired equivalent to more than 0.05% blood alcohol concentration."

This could create in interesting link to aircraft accidents where actual blood alcohol concentration has been a factor. Could Ms Slier do a documentary on that or would RT veto such a documentary? (Any guesses why RT might veto it?)

Mr Angry from Purley
14th Sep 2016, 09:28
Paula
Wasn't there a recent report on Avia Traffic Company Boeing crash where the F word was mentioned.
Might be worth starting a little closer to home!

framer
14th Sep 2016, 10:05
Any spot light on this subject is worthwhile .

DH_call
14th Sep 2016, 10:40
There is no shortage of stories where an American media has criticized American policies and policymakers. Even fox news criticized W for his immigration policies. This is in fact how they make a name for themselves. Should Trump become president you can be sure that he will not have any friends in the American media and all his moves will be under a microscope. I have yet to see a story where RT is very critical of putin and his policies. Not a single counterpoint to Russia's invasion of the Ukraine. If you have a link please give it here. When all you do is regurgitate the state's point of view then you are nothing but a propaganda machine.

notapilot15
14th Sep 2016, 10:41
@tong
If I recall most managers and anchors of RT are Americans.

@Trossie

It is not unusual media to make unrelated comparisons/links. Texting while driving stats to DUI stats and most famous on US media is to compare a country size in terms of US State eg., UK is 1/3 of Texas.

RAT 5
14th Sep 2016, 11:49
Wasn't there a recent report on Avia Traffic Company Boeing crash where the F word was mentioned.
Might be worth starting a little closer to home!

Wasn't the F word mentioned as a possible contributing factor in the B732 freighter at Coventry >25 years ago? What's changed since then? Oh, things have become worse. Now there's a thing.

Global_Global
14th Sep 2016, 12:00
Lets face it. Even if you don't like the outfit for the right or wrong reasons: THE STORY NEEDS TO BE TOLD.

So either:
A) get of your high horse and get this topic on the agenda of YOUR favourite media
B) Help Paula

notapilot15
14th Sep 2016, 16:45
Option A is not available because main stream media bought the silence package. Tabloids may publish one article and move on.

SilverSeated
14th Sep 2016, 17:04
Why don't we remove the scepticism and realise that any publicity of pilot fatigue is good publicity!

Paula has provided a vehicle to move this issue forwards, help her out!

Again, thank you Paula for bringing this to light.

If you want to make your life easy just appeal to the airline that probably has the most fatiguing and potentially life threatening roster practices in the industry on their Boeing fleet.....Emirates! Wont be hard to find someone willing to speak given the numbers that are resigning due to this issue.