PDA

View Full Version : Sully The Movie

Stationair8
8th Sep 2016, 08:05
Worth a look at for those interested in them flying machine devices.

das Uber Soldat
8th Sep 2016, 09:09
Thought the whole thing was great, thought I cringed in true pilot nerd fashion at the sim sessions.

'fpv on!', so she changes the range on the ND. Lol what?

Then we she crashes it into a building, selects full reverse. Yep, that'll help! Haha.

mrdeux
8th Sep 2016, 11:24
Loved the selection of reverse.

First aviation movie that I can recall that made any attempt to get aviation right. And if you've ever been involved in an incident, it was all too close to home.

Recommended.

Centaurus
8th Sep 2016, 13:02
Certainly worth viewing. Tom Hanks did a fine job as Sully, IMHO. The open court scene towards the end of the film with the NTSB Board trying to nail Sully and his co-pilot to the floor, was the best part.

Ollie Onion
8th Sep 2016, 16:55
I really enjoyed it, the aviation related subjects were surprisingly accurate for a Hollywood production who normally even struggle to keep aircraft types consistent. Well worth a look.

Squawk7700
8th Sep 2016, 22:42
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc75/sully.jpg

The name is Porter
9th Sep 2016, 11:33
the NTSB Board trying to nail Sully and his co-pilot to the floor, was the best part.

Hollywood bull****, you might want to read the NTSB's comments on this.

mattyj
9th Sep 2016, 19:57
I still think Whip Whitaker was the better Hollywood pilot character

PukinDog
10th Sep 2016, 02:13
Hollywood bull****, you might want to read the NTSB's comments on this.

Well said. Hollywood always needs a "bad guy", believing conflict advances any story, and they've been using various government agencies in this role forever.

The notion of objective, dedicated pros/experts existing within an government Agency is one they view with cynicism, despite the fact that so much knowledge and foundation of what we do to enhance safety and mitigate threats in aviation comes directly from decades of accident investigations conducted by them. Historically, the NTSB has found fault or identified causes for accidents that have as much to do with Company deficiencies and FAA oversight as they have with individual pilots crewing an accident aircraft. In many ways, their techniques are the basis for the broad-based approach to identifying ALL causal factors that we expect today, not just the forensic expertise.

Sad the producers felt the need to try and cast the NTSB as the "opposing force" just because there wasn't an obvious choice of person, Corporation, or the FAA to fill the role. Completely unnecessary, and unfounded.

cogwheel
10th Sep 2016, 11:32
Have just seen the movie

Has to one of the best and authentic aviation movie ever made.

Highly recommended :ok::ok::D:D:}

Checklist Charlie
10th Sep 2016, 12:50
Since when is CAsA (the regulator) doing accident investigation which is the preserve of the ATSB.

CAsA can't get the regulatory environment right so how on earth would they be any better at accident investigation.

CC

costalpilot
10th Sep 2016, 18:34
Well said. Hollywood always needs a "bad guy", believing conflict advances any story, and they've been using various government agencies in this role forever.

The notion of objective, dedicated pros/experts existing within an government Agency is one they view with cynicism, despite the fact that so much knowledge and foundation of what we do to enhance safety and mitigate threats in aviation comes directly from decades of accident investigations conducted by them. Historically, the NTSB has found fault or identified causes for accidents that have as much to do with Company deficiencies and FAA oversight as they have with individual pilots crewing an accident aircraft. In many ways, their techniques are the basis for the broad-based approach to identifying ALL causal factors that we expect today, not just the forensic expertise.

Sad the producers felt the need to try and cast the NTSB as the "opposing force" just because there wasn't an obvious choice of person, Corporation, or the FAA to fill the role. Completely unnecessary, and unfounded.
total bs storyline. typical hollywood. cant find enough drama in the most dramatic events imaginable, so they feel the need to make things up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/10/business/sully-is-latest-historical-film-to-prompt-off-screen-drama.html

otoh, i enjoyed the heck out of the flight scenes. i flew the 320 and out of laguardia many times. better sully than me.

RENURPP
11th Sep 2016, 00:59
It is an indictment on the writer/producer etc that they cannot write a script around an exciting event and keep it factual AND interesting. I agree that's modern media. (Not just Hollywood) having said that it is not a documentary it's a movie.

sms777
11th Sep 2016, 10:44
Don't forget the fact that it was directed by Clint Eastwood with vast amount of experience....unlike the muppets made the Transformers ..:yuk:

Flying Binghi
11th Sep 2016, 11:12
Havn't seen it yet, though having read about the dishonest story line I won't be wasting my money on it. Yet more Hollywood shiyte for the muppets to watch..:hmm:

AerocatS2A
11th Sep 2016, 13:16
It is an indictment on the writer/producer etc that they cannot write a script around an exciting event and keep it factual AND interesting. I agree that's modern media. (Not just Hollywood) having said that it is not a documentary it's a movie.

I suspect that although an exciting event in and of itself it probably didn't have the elements that make for an engaging story, e.g., character growth and some kind of adversity to overcome.

tj916
11th Sep 2016, 13:55
Looking forward to seeing it. I like Tom hanks.
Going on Wednesday, 100 baht at the local cinema ( £2) bargain!
And you can take your own beer and nibbles in.

Yag
11th Sep 2016, 17:57
I look foward to watching it.
First aviation movie that I can recall that made any attempt to get aviation right.

Really? Have you seen "Whisky Romeo Zulu"?

Biggles78
11th Sep 2016, 18:50
Really? Have you seen "Whisky Romeo Zulu"?Damn Yag, beat me by 40 minutes (from when I started typing). :)
Brilliant movie but not surprising considering the writer, director and actor (all the same person) was a pilot for the airline in the movie. Well worth watching IMO. :ok:

Whisky Romeo Zulu (https://www.google.com.au/#q=whisky+romeo+zulu+english+subtitles) is available on YouTube but in Spanish. If you click on the link at the start of this line it may assist in getting English subtitles for the excellent movie. I believe it's also available on Netflix with English subtitles.

5000 metres
11th Sep 2016, 19:28
I usually avoid Eastwood-directed flicks, but was talked into seeing this one last night and loved it. Hanks outstanding. Verisimilitude outstanding. Highly recommended.

dr dre
12th Sep 2016, 06:23
Whilst the flying scenes were technically accurate, the decision to write the crash investigators in as the "villains" ruined it for me. It makes for good storytelling, but for accuracy it throws out the good work done on the crash itself.
And outside of the crash scene, I honestly found it a bit boring. There's no real character development, tension or drama, and sort of ends on a flat note.
There's probably been aviation incidents involving pilots nursing crippled aircraft safely back to earth that would lend themselves to a better script. Not a bad film in itself, but not one I'd consider to be a aviation classic.

Density
13th Sep 2016, 05:16
Dr Dre

I tend to agree with you. At one stage I was looking around the theatre seeing if there was anything else more interesting. I sort of think that a more apt title could have been yielded. i'm sure the man himself would agree that it wasn't just him the resulted in the survival of all involved.

airtags
14th Sep 2016, 01:06
best 90 minute safety video I've never seen!

5th officer
14th Sep 2016, 04:25
I agree about this being a movie I would not pay to see, we have seen the outcome countless times so there is very little to anticipate and certainly not a surprise ending, also the term hero worries me somewhat. The water landing was brilliant but how the crew arrived at this point is of some concern.
Although I have taught many crews the never turn back procedures over the years in this case there may have been some merit. After having both engines stuffed with wild geese I am not sure spending time descending whilst flying away from the nearest airport and attempting a restart was the best action.
I have always wondered if the NTSB carried out simulator re-enactments to see if it was feasible, in my day with an 18 degree climb profile and a 3 degree approach profile there is a good chance the height loss in the turn could have worked?
But I suppose it is easy to be wise after the event when saying this sitting at the computer and not sweating it out at the controls.

Ollie Onion
14th Sep 2016, 07:38
^^^ If your assumption that an immediate return would work then proved to be wrong after you had committed to the turn then this could have killed hundreds of people. That is a massive gamble to make without taking 30 seconds to think about it and assess the situation by which time the decision is made for you, I am sure if it was flat land/water between them and the airport as opposed to one of the most densely populated bits of land in North America then a turn may have been attempted I suspect.

bentleg
14th Sep 2016, 08:12
Best movie I have seen for a long time!

josephfeatherweight
14th Sep 2016, 10:20
Yep, I thoroughly enjoyed it too!

Hogger60
14th Sep 2016, 10:33
Excellent movie.

5th Officer, you should see this. You sound just like the NTSB investigators in the movie.

Metro man
14th Sep 2016, 12:34
Worth seeing, shouldn't have taken the wife along though.

zkdli
15th Sep 2016, 03:28
Best aviation movie in years, a very good insight to survivors guilt and a true view of the investigation from Sully's perspective. Ok the NTSB May have issues with how they are portrayed but as an investigator I have to say that I have seen some spectacularly bad ways of interviewing and this film shows some of them. The film really stands up CVR AND ATC transcripts were used verbatim so no Obviously wrong dialogue! Just Merican rt :)

currawong
15th Sep 2016, 03:54
Metro, I often say the same thing myself....

Centaurus
16th Sep 2016, 06:08
In another era I often flew Cessna singles with students from Essendon to various training areas. Usual initial track was Essendon direct to Westgate Bridge. The nearby Marylebone River was parallel to our track most of the time. My advice to students was if an engine failure happened and it wasn't possible to comfortably glide to Moonee Valley or Flemington Racecourses, then a ditching into the river was the way to go rather than risk trying to land at local sports grounds. Also not far to swim to the banks of the river. :ok:

propnut
16th Sep 2016, 20:27
I've read his book

Highest Duty

I'm sure I will be disappointed with the movie, but i have to see it :)

Squawk7700
16th Sep 2016, 20:55
If you haven't seen the movie yet, make sure you stay right to the end after the credits start where they speak to the real pilot, passengers and family. You'll then realise that some of the actors are the real life survivors and or others from the event.

Don't do what half of the movie-goers did when I saw it and leave too early.

PoppaJo
17th Sep 2016, 00:45
Big involvement from US Airways in the production which explains the accuracy.

Sim pilots in film were actually check and training captains with the carrier.

Charlotte-based pilot helped Clint Eastwood get flight simulator scenes right in ?Sully? | The Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article100849667.html)

troppo
17th Sep 2016, 04:41
Suspension of disbelief. It's a movie...sure some ad lib/poetic licence to make it into candyfloss for the audience and sell tickets.
Even with a cold, dark heart, I found it moving and chilling in places...not since Watership down when I was but a child....
See if he gets an Oscar...

gerry111
17th Sep 2016, 12:04
Centaurus, Always a good informative read from you.

But "The nearby Marylebone River.." cannot pass without a comment..

Perhaps Maribyrnong River? For most here are possibly living in Orstralia? :ok:

Hempy
17th Sep 2016, 12:29
Couldn't be the Maribyrnong. The health issues would be less if you tried to put it down on the Tulla during peak hour rather than risk getting that water into your system!

Centaurus
17th Sep 2016, 13:53
But "The nearby Marylebone River.." cannot pass without a comment..

Perhaps Maribyrnong River? For most here are possibly living in Orstralia?

Thanks Gerry,
Just testing the readers of course:ok: Mea culpa though. :ugh:

harrowing
18th Sep 2016, 07:19
The FAs wandering around within a minute of take-off seemed out of the ordinary, otherwise an excellent film without too much Hollywood cringe factor.:D

Ollie Onion
18th Sep 2016, 11:12
Not that unusual, flying in the UK the FAs were able to get up as soon as the signs cycled with gear retraction. Seatbelts then came off once through 10,000ft, so the crew could commence service whilst the belts were on.

Sunfish
18th Sep 2016, 22:48
great movie!

ExSp33db1rd
19th Sep 2016, 01:28
Just seen the film, enjoyed it immensely, tho' of course not sure if all the presented "facts" were indeed "facts".

Yes, the NTSB are indeed portrayed as over-zealous, but if the "facts" that they were apparently presented with initially were indeed fact, then they wouldn't have been doing their job if they hadn't at least asked the questions.

ACARS. According to the film, ACARS indicated that the left engine was quietly idling all the time, and was therefore undamaged, and of course this was discounted when the engine was recovered and subjected to engineering analysis. In view of the fact that the missing MH 370 is being sought in an area derived from ACARS information - perhaps Malaysian Airways should ask Sully where to look ?

Lantern10
19th Sep 2016, 03:47
Seriously looking forward to watching this film.

ausworld
19th Sep 2016, 07:47
Saw it today.

Excellent movie and so realistic.

Best aviation movie I have seen for accuracy.

Go and see it if you can and you will not be disappointed.

Well done Sully and Crew

leffe
19th Sep 2016, 07:59
Can I claim the movie ticket back on tax ? 😛😛😛

Dufo
19th Sep 2016, 08:08
No, but you can claim the duration as CRM recurrent time credit.

Squawk7700
19th Sep 2016, 10:54
ACARS. According to the film, ACARS indicated that the left engine was quietly idling all the time, and was therefore undamaged, and of course this was discounted when the engine was recovered and subjected to engineering analysis. In view of the fact that the missing MH 370 is being sought in an area derived from ACARS information - perhaps Malaysian Airways should ask Sully where to look ?

I was thinking there might be merit in this until such time that I realised that they were only tracking the "pings" to the ACARS unit and not the actual engine data unless I am mistaken... They only knew that the engines were running because the ACARS unit was responding until such time that it didn't. Then by tracking ping packet response times with latency calculations, they derived a potential position.

Snakecharma
19th Sep 2016, 21:00
There will be someone somewhere that claims the 90 odd minutes as ICUS :)

aussie1234
20th Sep 2016, 12:28
This is a fantastic movie to show to all those who are on this website picking and choosing their next jet job based on how quick it is to command. This is a fantastic illustration of what being a captain of an aircraft is truly about. It's not having the command endorsement, knowing the AIP backwards or just your time in the list. Being the captain of an aircraft is so much more and I think this movie shows a fine example of how a captain should perform. I'm talking more post water landing rather than the flight itself.

das Uber Soldat
20th Sep 2016, 12:59
Big involvement from US Airways in the production which explains the accuracy.

Sim pilots in film were actually check and training captains with the carrier.
Then why where the sims so innacurate then? Wierd.

Zaphod Beblebrox
20th Sep 2016, 14:37
I have seen the movie twice, and will see it again. I was, in a distant way, involved in the investigation. I was in the union at a level that was dealing with both the press and the investigation.

As to villains, there really aren't any. If however, you are naive enough to think that the special interests don't circle their wagons immediately after an accident like this, there is a bridge in Brooklyn I would love to sell you. Airbus immediately started having pilots fly the immediate return scenario and very quickly submitted their findings, that a return to LGA was doable, to protect themselves. CFM submitted certification test data proving that the size of the birds, based on recovered remains, were outside of the certification limits for both EU and US. US Airways was very quick to close ranks on maintenance and performance data. They were slow getting it to the NTSB, not slow illegal, but very slow and deliberate and many high level meetings went on and there were behind the scenes negotiations over what data was pertinent tot the investigation.

The union did what it was supposed to do and that is; protect the crew. If the crew is at fault the information will come to light. There are criminal penalties for interfering or attempting to falsify information in an accident investigation. However you must remember that all the other parties have million dollar stakes in the outcome of an investigation like this. To say that they are all "just seeking the absolute truth" is simply not true. They are all attempting to protect themselves to what ever extent they can. Sully, Jeff and the back end crew, different unions, had legal representation on site within an hour of the crash. USAPA's law firm at that time was NY based. The senior counsel met the crew at the hospital and was with them for a week. Later the law firm advised on various aspects of the investigation and reviewed all replies and prepped Sully and Jeff for depositions and interviews.

Some outside the US may say that this all seems overly legalistic, and they may be right. The US legal system has evolved into a monster that is very good at extracting money from people and giving it to lawyers. That being said, when you are in an investigation interview and the room is packed with lawyers form Airbus, CFM, the company, the New York Port Authority and everyone else and their brother, you are a fool to go in without representation. Everyone there has an interest to protect. Investigations, as in both civil and criminal law, are at their heart, adversarial proceedings. That's just the way it is.

The only criticism I have of the movie is that the investigation timeline is very compressed. A full on NTSB investigation is a long process. The findings were not formally published until May 4, 2010, almost 16 months after the accident occurred on January 15, 2009.

The players and names were all real and correct. However Arnie Gentile is bald and does not have a beard. Everyone else was a very close facsimile of the real life person. The simulator scenes were flown by real US Airways pilots. One was a union committee chairperson active in the investigation and others were Airbus check airmen.

There was a line in the film about "I didn't know I had so many cousins" spoken by Hanks. It reflected the persistence of the press to get at the crew by any means possible. They tried to get into the union office in Charlotte, into crew rooms at various bases and into the hospital and hotel were the crew was staying. The union moved the crew several times to the press guessing and at bay.

There was another accident at US Airways, in 1994, where the investigation took a great deal of time to uncover the probable cause. This was US Air 427 in Pittsburgh, PA. The final determination of that accident was that a rudder reversal and hard over occurred and at low altitude and the crew was unable to recover the aircraft. All aboard perished. In that accident the NTSB took almost 5 years to find a probable cause.

The NTSB released its final report on March 24, 1999.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAir_Flight_427#cite_note-NTSB_AAR-99-01-1)[7] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAir_Flight_427#cite_note-7) The NTSB concluded that the accident was due to mechanical failure: The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the USAir Flight 427 accident was a loss of control of the airplane resulting from the movement of the rudder surface to its blowdown limit. The rudder surface most likely deflected in a direction opposite to that commanded by the pilots as a result of a jam of the main rudder power control unit servo valve secondary slide to the servo valve housing offset from its neutral position and overtravel of the primary slide

It is a great movie but simplistic as to how an actual NTSB investigation is conducted. FYI, the current NTSB senior aviation investigator, Robert Sumwalt is a former US Airways pilot.

Capn Bloggs
21st Sep 2016, 01:15
Sounds good enough for me, Zap, thanks for the review/info.

TBM-Legend
21st Sep 2016, 02:06
Given that Sully is a movie and not a documentary and also set to appeal to the public, i thought it was excellent. ZB's comments confirmed it to me..

Preemo
21st Sep 2016, 10:45
Given that Sully is a movie and not a documentary and also set to appeal to the public, i thought it was excellent. ZB's comments confirmed it to me..
TBM-Legend, i fully agree

ACMS
22nd Sep 2016, 04:18
Yep, it didn't disappoint.

In IMAX too. :ok:

RobShan
26th Sep 2016, 22:52
I really enjoyed the movie, but I hang around forums like this. My wife who won't watch Air Crash Investigation thought it was great too.

While the NTSB role was dramatised for the film, it was very accurate from what I have read.

I'd highly recommend this film and don't leave before you see the re-union of the people involved during the credits.:ok:

gerry111
27th Sep 2016, 12:43
I saw it tonight. Some inflight simulations of the A320 and particularly the Phantoms could have been more realistic. But I found it an enjoyable movie. There were only about a dozen people in my local cinema but everyone stayed until the end of the credits.

oldpax
27th Sep 2016, 12:50
Saw it today and stayed to the end!!Enjoyed it very much.

Rodney Rotorslap
5th Oct 2016, 08:12
The only criticism I have of the movie is that the investigation timeline is very compressed. A full on NTSB investigation is a long process. The findings were not formally published until May 4, 2010, almost 16 months after the accident occurred on January 15, 2009. Yeah but who wants to sit in a movie theatre for 16 months?

Seriously though ZB, thanks for the very interesting insight.

Great movie.