PDA

View Full Version : Air China Magazine comments for tourists

OldCessna
8th Sep 2016, 02:02
Bet this is going down well with the natives!

Air China magazine tells tourists visiting London 'avoid Indian, Pakistani & black areas'

Air China magazine tells tourists visiting London 'avoid Indian, Pakistani & black areas' | Travel News | Travel | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/708065/Air-China-magazine-London-Wings-of-China-ethnic-areas)

Metro man
8th Sep 2016, 02:18
So basically most of South London, not that there is much worth seeing there anyway, and the east end.

Of course crime figures will be produced showing crime in these areas is no worse than average won't they ?

finfly1
8th Sep 2016, 03:50
Still confused why people think one should apologize for telling the truth. I hope China has a little more spine than the US where that is concerned.

vctenderness
8th Sep 2016, 10:06
Don't disagree but what advice to they give to passengers visiting, say, Lagos?

RedhillPhil
8th Sep 2016, 10:21
I'd happily walk around alone at night in an Indian area. Not so sure about the other two though.

Fareastdriver
8th Sep 2016, 10:33
In China the ultimate penalty for rape is death; and they use it. As a result women are comparatively safe in China so they have to be warned that there is not the same level of safety here.

That is not to say that they are not careful at home but in a strange country it is too easy to stray into an area where local women would fear to tread.

Metro man
8th Sep 2016, 20:07
I wouldn't think twice about walking around Golders Green (Jewish area) at night. I wouldn't go near Brixton even in daytime.

chevvron
9th Sep 2016, 01:57
Do they give similar advice for visiting Maryhill in Glasgow?
Drove through there once when I was detached to Glasgow airport; even with my doors locked it didn't feel safe.

chevvron
9th Sep 2016, 01:58
Don't disagree but what advice to they give to passengers visiting, say, Lagos?
Portugal or Nigeria?

meadowrun
9th Sep 2016, 02:05
I can think of several helpful things they could tell their citizens on the pages of their magazine.
Besides lots of tips on how to behave in foreign countries, one worthy of a full page is:
"Do Not Attempt to Open the Aircraft's Doors or Windows At Any Time."

Future 737NG pic(?)
9th Sep 2016, 02:54
Can also think of a couple of helpful suggestions such as no spitting and not allowing one's child to defecate in the cabin as stated here (http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/1850140/toilets-too-small-chinese-child-allowed-defecate-passenger-cabin).

Metro man,
So basically most of South London, not that there is much worth seeing there anyway, and the east end. and
I wouldn't go near Brixton even in daytime.

Please stay north of the river whenever you are next in London, I wouldn't want my weekend ruined by having an oaf like you about, peddling sneering viewpoints and out-of-date information. The riff-raff south of the Thames will happily keep Wimbledon, Greenwich Park and even Brixton where there's a decent pop-up 'market', making itself known for all the right reasons.

Metro man
9th Sep 2016, 03:19
When in London I generally stay at my club in St. James. Very convenient for the Royal parks and West end shopping. Due to the proximity to Buckingham Palace, security in the area is very tight and crime doesn't usually get beyond pick pocketing and shoplifting.

Hoodies would stand out like a sore thumb amongst the Barbour jackets and Saville Row suits. Sarf London ? You can keep it.

chevvron
9th Sep 2016, 05:55
So basically most of South London, not that there is much worth seeing there anyway, and the east end.

Of course crime figures will be produced showing crime in these areas is no worse than average won't they ?
Dulwich is in south London, and not far away is the Horniman Museum; definitely worth a visit (if you can find somewhere to park)

Tankertrashnav
9th Sep 2016, 10:57
Imperial War Museum also south of the river, although I must confess I havent visited it since its recent "improvements" which I understand from friends are nothing of the sort.

Metro man - pickpocketing is absolutely rife in the West End, for the obvious reason that is where the well-heeled tourists are. China Air Lines are warning their pax about the wrong demographic. It's well organised gangs of thieves from certain Balkan countries that are most likely to ruin their visit.

Metro man
9th Sep 2016, 11:47
Unfortunately tourists in any country are a magnet for thriving scum not just pick pockets, there are plenty of scam artists around as well. Remember the guys on Oxford Street running the sales ? Bloke with a microphone draws a crowd into a shop and various bargains are offered. Stooges in the crowd get to buy quality goods at knock down prices, everyone gets caught up in the hype and ends up shelling out good money on junk worth a tenth of what they paid for it. By the time they realise what's happened they're out in the street with the doors locked behind them. Cycle repeats again after about twenty minutes.

There can't be a single inch of the West End not covered by CCTV so catching criminals shouldn't be too big a problem. Once the UK is out of the EU it will finally be able to deport them.

sitigeltfel
9th Sep 2016, 12:02
Dulwich is in south London, and not far away is the Horniman Museum

A museum for horny men?

DirtyProp
9th Sep 2016, 12:10
Shurley that cannot be.
Whatever happened to "No Sex Please, We're British"?

OldCessna
9th Sep 2016, 21:01
I do recall years ago that an Air Malawi inflight magazine and indeed Immigration rules stated that men with beards and bell bottom trousers will not be admitted to the country!

Good old President Banda. Is his daughter the defacto ruler now?

troppo
10th Sep 2016, 01:05
they ain't white, but they ain't wong

Stanwell
10th Sep 2016, 06:39
Or, as Oz politician, Arthur Calwell, commented many years ago...
"Two Wongs don't make a white."