PDA

View Full Version : Pan American!

JAY SUDRA
14th Jan 2001, 19:20
Has anyone been to Pan-Am flight training in the U.S for JAR training at all or thinking about going in the near future?

i know they have a web site but i need a little more info on what its like up there!

Thanks!

smoothkpilot
14th Jan 2001, 22:11
Hi mate
I'm thinking of going to Pan Am at Fort Pierce in March, from my research its the one of 2 schools in the USA that can offer the full JAA approved course, according to the CAA. many schools quote that they do but in fact are not approved by the CAA. West Michigan Uni, where British airways sends its students and Pan AM are the only 2. I've just recently graduated from the University of London with an Aerospace Engineering degree and I've just completed the GAPAN aptitude tests at RAF Cranwell and got the second highest score possible. I've also just got my Class 1 from the CAA at Gatwick. I would advise any self sponsored student to at least do GAPAN and get a medical, you're about to spend ALOT of money so make sure you have the aptitude and meet the medical requirements before you spend your cash.

If you are going out there or will be out there in March drop me an EMail and maybe we can hook up. I know Pan Am is slightly more expensive than other flight schools but I believe it offers the best training for the self sponsored student. A few of my friends went out there to have a look at the school and were amazed at the professionalism that they have. Don't cut corners on your training, especially if you're paying for yourself, the only other school that comes close and has such a good reputation amongst the airlines is probably Oxford, but hey the British weather is so unreliable, and Florida is a much better place than Oxford. So I hope this helps, drop me a line if you have any questions and all the best with your training.

Smoothk
Giving the smoothest landings worldwide.

Dizzy
14th Jan 2001, 22:33
Smoothkpilot?
Are you absolutely certain that PanAm is fully approved? My recent information suggests that, yes, they and a very few others offer courses similar to the JAR courses in the UK, but you still have to sit exams / flying tests in this country to get your licence? If you don't mind letting me know either on e-mail or here - I'd like to know. It may affect my decision.

Nookie Bear
14th Jan 2001, 23:19
Hello Lads,

I am also very interested in Pan Am. In the phase 2 of the JAA FCL CPL/IR module 6 you return to the UK to do 26 weeks of ATPL ground school.

Do any of you guys know how many hours you get with the JAA FCL CPL/IR course?

Cheers

smoothkpilot
14th Jan 2001, 23:56
Hi Guys

I'm quite certain that Pan Am is CAA certified, if you have any doubts contact the CAA.

On the course that I'm gonna do I wil; do my PPL, then study for 6months for the ATPL exams. I'd rather do it this way then do the IMC, Night and Multi after my PPL, that way I get the hard part out of the way and once all 14 exams are done I can then do the remainder of the flying for approximately 6months. Give me a few days and I'll get some details as to who to speeak to at the CAA regarding approval of flight schools outside JAA memebr states. Regarding exams all the groundschool exams are sat in the UK, so are the IR, and one other which I'm not sure of at the moment. If you check the Pan Am course breakdown it will say that these exams are done in the UK.

Happy Training, feel free to contact me.

SmoothK
Giving the smoothest landings worldwide.

Dizzy
15th Jan 2001, 01:45
Smoothkpilot,
I am pleased that you've done more homework than I had with PanAm. When I asked for info from PanAm I was sent virtually nothing and an application form!!!!!!
Working on this basis I immediately discounted them from my options list.
Maybe this is a new course they didn't have running when I first asked.
Maybe our paths will cross when we get down to those lovely exams?
Best of luck to all!

FAAJAA
15th Jan 2001, 04:21
In response to your questions, they are approved. I see the approval certificates on the wall every day at work...everything except the ATPL groundschool and the last 10 hours of IR are done here in Ft. Pierce. They are approved. Ill try and get a digicam pic of the certs and post it.
Cheers
FARJAR

Evil Jethro
15th Jan 2001, 17:44
I've also done some reserach into this and think that Pan Am can do everything apart from the IR initial test which has to be done in the UK (or JAA memeber state presumeably). The list the CAA also sent me included International Flight Training Academy which I believe are also approved to the same extent as Pan Am

ballistic non-guided
13th Feb 2001, 23:37
I too am thinking of going with PAN AM for PPL, CPL and IR phases, but a worry I have is that the initial training for the CPL + IR is in the US with the Flt tests in the UK. So this leaves only 10hrs in the UK to get comfortable with unfamiliar airspace and approaches to complete and pass the flight tests. I understand the IR is notoriously tricky to pass, so how much will changing FTOs and international airspace effect the outcome?

Also has anybody trained for their PPL/IMC with Int.Flt.Training academy or Naples Air Centre Inc?

[email protected]

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Feb 2001, 01:26
For anyone who is interested, I have been to Pan Am, not to fly, but to look around as a potential establishment to train.

I have elected to go there for hour building, IMC and night, but will be returning to the UK for the ATPL ground, CPL/IR and MCC. If you would like further details please e-mail me, and if I can help you I will.

I start on the 5th of March, anybody else starting then?

Cheers.

Gonna
14th Feb 2001, 01:31
KLM FLight Academy has sent nine students over to Pan Am for VFR/IFR training according to the KLM syllabus. However, the NLA (Dutch CAA) has not fully approved yet as far as I know.

Gonna

touch&go
14th Feb 2001, 03:31
I believe that Mike Gill, Ex head of the UK section at BAe Adelaide is going to start working there in a few weeks, he's a good guy, and will sort any problems out.

Bitchslapper
15th Feb 2001, 22:02
Anybody got any questions about Pan Am, let me know!

Current Pan Am JAA student.

rolling circle
16th Feb 2001, 18:38
According to latest list of approved establishments (dated 31 January) on the FCL website. PanAm are approved for the flying element of the Modular CPL and Modular IR and for the MEP Class Rating. They do not hold approval for the Modular ATPL theoretical knowledge and so, presumably, sub-contract this elsewhere - Bitchslapper might like to tell you where.

There is no requirement for the NLA to approve any training already approved by the UK CAA. Approvals issued by one JAA member state must be accepted without question by all other JAA member states (JAR-FCL 1.015(a)(1)). (Although that point seems to be too complex for the simple minds at the french DGAC to understand).

It is the case with all training which takes place outside JAA member states that the ground exams and the IR Skill Test have to take place in the JAA member state issuing the approval. (Excepting, of course, training for the PPL and associated ratings, the MEP Class Rating and the FI(R))

Bear Cub
18th Feb 2001, 00:20
PanAm told me that they are supposed to recommend PPSC - as they have a mutual agreement - but that students can go anywhere they wish.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

JimNich
18th Feb 2001, 02:55
Pan American sounds right up my street, anybody got the web page address?