PDA

View Full Version : BA Captain

ttp
2nd Jul 2002, 21:13
A thread on another BBS reminded me of a flight from JFK to MAN on a BA 767 5 or 6 years ago, where the Captain give a 'strange' pre-flight welcome & safety announcement.

These announcements were so far away from the standard, that he must have been retiring.

I think his name xxxxxxxx , does any one here know of him? & was this a one off, if he regularly gave that type of announcement, he must have been (in)famous within BA.

edited by Xenia, no names, TA

want2beapilot
5th Jul 2002, 16:11
xxxxxxxxxx................your right he retired, but like most UK retiring Boeing Captains from BA he now flys for Singapore! A jolly old time he is having to ......I am sure.

again edited by Xenia :)

ttp
5th Jul 2002, 20:55
want2beapilot

Thanks, do you know if his welcome & safety announcements were always 'non regulation' or were we treated ?

To give an idea of what was said, during the safety announcement he compared life jackets to lead boots etc.

Regards

Lan Ding Gere
9th Jul 2002, 10:57
Does anyone know the type of things he said ?

LDG

capt cynical
9th Jul 2002, 12:28
:D Best nick-name on the site " LAN " love it :D

Any other votes ?? :)

ttp
10th Jul 2002, 15:04
On the flight I was on he started off by welcoming every-one on board & added 'that our attractive cabin crew will be pleased to cater for your every whim, but please remember that those sitting at the front of the aircraft can have more elaborate whims than those sitting at the back'

He then said 'The company now make me show you a safety film & if you watch carefully you may stand a slightly better than 50% chance of putting the life vest on the right way round' he then added 'but I don't know why we give you life vests on flights over the North Atlantic in February, they will be as much use as a pair of lead boots'.

It was an odd flight anyway, insofar as it was the JFK - BHX flight, via MAN on a 767 instead of the normal JFK - BHX 757, because the JFK - MAN flight had been cancelled.