PDA

View Full Version : Pop surge?

NutLoose
6th Sep 2016, 18:53
x51UYlumFS8

Looks like one to me, you can see the effect at the intake too, watch about 3.15 on.

XlXEC3Lmnvk

Treble one
6th Sep 2016, 19:42
I've seen that and several other F-16 displays over many years NutLoose, and I can't ever recall a trail of flame like that when the jet is using re-heat.

Almost like a permanent dump and burn?

NutLoose
6th Sep 2016, 21:44
Jags used to suffer pop surges at a high angle of dangle low airspeed when carbon partially blocked the pressure sensing tube from the jet pipe, basically the reheat senses a false reading so cuts the fuel supply, it then would sense a drop so dumps excess fuel into the jet pipe to correct it, resulting in an explosion in the jet pipe and a ball of excess burning fuel being ejected, which looks similar to that, it could then repeat. Obviously having a higher pressure in the JP than in the engine was a bad thing and you could surge it / damage it..
on the first film you see like a shock wave by the intake.p when it happens.

But it's like years ago so my brain might be a bit muddled on the principal, though I will tell you, standing a few feet away from it during a run used to nearly cause a change in underwear.

57mm
7th Sep 2016, 00:01
Would occasionally get one during air combat manoeuvring in an F4. Recognised from the cockpit by a loud bang and a flash of reheat from the intake rather than the nozzle......

Rhino power
7th Sep 2016, 10:50
There's clearly an engine afterburner/fuelling problem right from the beginning of the display (and up to the point of the engine 'event'), if you look at bottom of the afterburner plume there is a long, thin, much brighter flame compared to the normal afterburner flame.

-RP

Tashengurt
7th Sep 2016, 12:15
I'm amazed he didn't get told to land.
Anyone who's spent time around fast jets can see that's not right.
Even as a 19 year old rag packer sat on recovery I would've called up ATC then sat back and waited for my 'Good show'.

Wander00
7th Sep 2016, 13:50
Reminds me of the centre engine surge on the Tristar taking off from Mount Pleasant in 1986 - that was interesting to watch.

Skeleton
7th Sep 2016, 14:00
Agree with Tashengurt, it was obvious from the start something was not right with the burner. I saw it right at the start, 3 minutes later the event happens. What was his own ground crew doing? Display supervisor and his team? ATC? The video left me slightly shocked to be honest.

NutLoose
7th Sep 2016, 15:52
If you look at dead on 3.00 you can see the full burner is not lit.

TEEEJ
7th Sep 2016, 17:46
Images of the same F-16 displaying the day before at following thread. Unusual afterburner?

F-16 engine event at Zeltweg (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74643)

Previous day display video. Unusual afterburner? See from 2 mins 43 secs.

oHU6krG6o0U&feature=related