PDA

View Full Version : Flight Dispatcher License

maddiecat
6th Sep 2016, 15:11
Hi! Good day to you all.

I would just like to ask a question to the people who are working or worked as a Flight Dispatcher in France
Do I need a licensure to be working as a Flight Dispatcher in France? or do I just need to go to an aviation academy like ESMA and take a Flight Dispatcher training and get my certification?

Thanks in advance!

Wageslave
11th Sep 2016, 10:34
Dispatcher in Europe and most of the rest of the world is a poorly paid and thankless job carried out in all weathers typically by 20 somethings who haven't found a decent job yet. It involves liasing with gatestaff and captain (in airlines that include the Captain in the despatch process), fuel, baggage loading etc and sometimes collecting loadsheet and final paperwork from an office and conveying it to the aircraft, plus sometimes overseeing the pushback. It involves no special skills beyond basic literacy and numeracy and requires a little on the job training. It may or may not involve acquiring an airside driving permit.
It has very little indeed to do with the American despatcher who seems to do performance and fuel calculations and probably does need to be extensively trained, tho why their pilots can't do their own fuel calcs we Europeans are unable to say...;)
There is certainly no such thing as a despatcher certificate or "academy training" in Europe.

You'd need to apply directly to handling agents to find vacancies. Bring common sense and an indestructible sense of humour.

bafanguy
11th Sep 2016, 19:57
"...American despatcher who seems to do performance and fuel calculations and probably does need to be extensively trained, tho why their pilots can't do their own fuel calcs we Europeans are unable to say..."

wageslave,

The answer to your question is that regulations dictate what's done here in the US. FAR Parts 121.533, .535, .593, .595 spell it out. Parts 121.537 & .597 show the regulatory exception to the requirement for a "licensed dispatcher".

The PIC has the authority to reject the flight plan prepared by the dispatcher and require changes be made if he feels it necessary.

Wageslave
12th Sep 2016, 00:34
Didn't ask a question.

zzz

bafanguy
12th Sep 2016, 07:52
"Didn't ask a question."

"...tho [WHY] their pilots can't do their own fuel calcs we Europeans are unable to say..."

Wageslave,

You seemed curious about how the dispatch function works here and I mistook your statement, containing the word "why", for a question and thought I'd offer a polite explanation.

My error...