PDA

View Full Version : WW1 Pilot's images newly developed

Phoenix1969
6th Sep 2016, 10:21
Pilot's war images developed 100 years on - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37261175)

For interest. Wish I was near to Leyland!

PAXboy
6th Sep 2016, 12:04
Wonderful. I do hope that PPRuNers will be able to name all the aircraft shown, since the BBC omitted this information.

Stanwell
6th Sep 2016, 13:09
I don't think there'd be any prizes on offer for naming those two distinctive types.
Excellent pics, BTW.

The late XV105
6th Sep 2016, 14:48
Truly fabulous. Thanks for sharing the link. The stunning results are testimony to Mr. Lewis' skill.

I am certain though that the excitement (and anxiety) I used to feel when developing my own photos back in the day was nothing to what was experienced here!

PAXboy
6th Sep 2016, 18:32
I didn't offer a prize and, to me, they are not distinctive because only one of them is vaguely familiar and the other I have not seen before.

Stanwell
6th Sep 2016, 18:43
Oh, OK.
Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2c and Farman Shorthorn. :ok:

p.s. Sorry, PAXboy, I wasn't trying to be smart there.
Thinking about it, there are two other aircraft that do bear a passing resemblance to those - the RAF R.E.8 and the Vickers Gunbus.

PAXboy
6th Sep 2016, 21:10
Thanks Stanwell. :ok:

Very interesting. I can only name about four aircraft from that era by sight.

ian16th
7th Sep 2016, 08:46
The pictures are going on display at this small museum in Lancashire.
Exhibitions and Activities - South Ribble Museum (http://south-ribble.co.uk/srmuseum/pages/activities/activities.htm)

It would be very nice, for those of us in foreign parts, if they were available on the Internet.

Maybe they have commercial value and will be published in a book.

PAXboy
7th Sep 2016, 14:44
Hopefully, someone like the RAF will sponsor for the images to visit Hendon and their other venues and that could get the ball rolling. If the small museum has them as a gift, they can rent the exhibition out and swell their own coffers.

FlightlessParrot
7th Sep 2016, 20:49
It's the old wet-chemistry pedant in me speaking, but I think what the BBC meant was that the photographs were printed for the first time. It's aeronautically irrelevant, but it would be a bfd if negatives were successfully developed after a century.

Kids these days, probably never even taken a roll into a 1-hour d&p joint, no respect, even taken away the 3.5mm stereo socket, life comes with no magenta line, ....

PAXboy
7th Sep 2016, 22:35
Agrred Flightlessparrot. They would not know what type of emulsion they were or what 'speed' it was. You would have to start by cutting off small samples to test process and then lose images. It's entirely possible that they were printed but the negatives had become separated from the. I do hope that they have scanned them at very high resolution, in case anything happens to the negatives.

FlightlessParrot
8th Sep 2016, 04:36
Paxboy, if they're smart they've scanned the negs and done the printing with an inkjet. It is much easier to control the tonal range, adjust highlights and shadows, and indeed spot out dust marks, in digital than playing around with tufts of cotton wool on the end of bits of wire.

Chris Scott
15th Sep 2016, 16:38
FlightlessParrot is right: according to the Curator of the South Ribble Museum, the original film was developed (i.e., into negatives) in 1917/18. The writer of the BBC piece seems to have been unfamiliar with the processing terminology for photographic film...

What excellent images!

Wander00
15th Sep 2016, 16:58
Why should a BBC reporter be any more knowledgeable about the technicalities of photography than anything else on which he/she might report. Their level of ignorance on even "general knowledge" areas is astounding

Haraka
15th Sep 2016, 19:12
Wander00 . Was it not Mark Twain who said something along the lines that ;

"Those who do not read newspapers are uninformed: those who do , misinformed." ?

Wander00
15th Sep 2016, 19:34
H. A cracking quotation which I will remember to slip into conversations, especially with a couple of Daily Mail readers of mu acquaintance

David Rayment
18th Sep 2016, 09:46
'Landing strips were usually rough fields, the aircraft were string-bound wooden struts and canvas, and crashes were very frequent'

Hmm - I always thought that canvas was for tents and that doped Irish Linen was used as the covering. Why do we never see reference to high tensile flying wires etc. It always seems to be 'string'. When you see a wreck of an early a/c think 'energy absorbing structure. When you see pictures of the wrecks of modern aircraft why do the captions never (rarely?) mention flimsy structure. Am I suffering from Meldruitis here?