PDA

View Full Version : Not enough hours for airline entry after modular course

r200biggles
2nd Jul 2002, 20:27
I researched a lot lately on the options in flight training, type of training, how to fund it etc....

I have one concern though. When you follow the integrated course for example, you graduate with at least 250hrs. However, the vast majority of the airlines seem to want at least 1000hrs, some airlines requiring 1500hrs unfozen ATPL (which means at least 500hrs on a multicrew aircraft).

Of course a few very small airlines do not have minimum hours requirements, but these pay a wage which would not justify borrowing large amounts of money for the training.
How do you fill this missing hour gap?

Thanks for any replies.

redsnail
2nd Jul 2002, 23:18
And there's the rub...
You can borrow even more money and get an instructor's rating.
You can try glider towing, scenics (if you are lucky) or land a job in a small charter company.
You could try heading out to Africa or other such places that has an active GA scene.
Good luck.

gorky
3rd Jul 2002, 10:31
thats the biggest problem of the JAA training.
it cost so much for the minimum qualifications that we have to borrow more money .how it s possible when u have to pay 60.000 euros back with 250h and you need 1000 hours for a first job.

r200biggles
3rd Jul 2002, 12:47
Most, if not all of the people in this forum want to become an airline pilot, and are either on an ATPL course or planning to embark on one.

So, what do you plan to do to build your hours up from 250hrs to say, 1000hrs?

Any feedback much appreciated.

touch&go
3rd Jul 2002, 14:06
I wouldn't worry to much, hundreds of pilots like myself finish the old 509 courses with low hours and most if not all got jobs with 250 hours, I know at the time things seemed to be much better, but not easy....but the general feeling is that thing should be back to normal soon.

luvly jubbly
3rd Jul 2002, 16:56
After spending lots of borrowed money on the fzn ATPL, i opted to borrow another 5 grand for the FI rating.

Soon after gaining 500 hrs and being in line for a turboprop job, Sept 11th happened and the airline in question folded.

Spent the last year teaching wannabes to fly PA28s. Excellent experience as i really think you only learn to fly properly when you have to teach others! Having fun but struggling like hell financially.
Got the 1000 hrs now but still no sign of work.

Hopefully things will start to turn round soon.

Best of luck to all looking for work right now.

LJ

Hey what happened to my 500+ posts?? Im just another number again!

Tosh McCaber
3rd Jul 2002, 17:42
250 hours at the end of the Integrated course? More like180 hours+/- !!

gorky
4th Jul 2002, 09:21
fly sea planes, banner towing, cfi, skydiver, rent aircraft with friends, aeral picture, .... dont do drug!
if you dont have money, to late, u did a choice! FAA or JAA.