PDA

View Full Version : Writeoff or will it buff out?

SnowFella
6th Sep 2016, 06:49
Popped up on my FB feed courtesy of the NSW Police.

Drivers and heavy vehicle operators are being reminded to secure their loads after an aircraft engine fell off a trailer in Sydney’s south this morning.
About 9.30am (Tuesday 6 September 2016), emergency services were called to Forest Road, Arncliffe, following reports a truck had lost its load.
Police attended and discovered an aircraft engine had fallen from the side of a heavy-vehicle trailer and onto the road.
Joint Traffic Taskforce officers from NSW Police Traffic and Highway Patrol Command and RMS Heavy Vehicle Inspectors commenced an investigation.
The driver of the truck, a 51-year-old man, was breath tested at the scene with a negative result.
The man will be issued a Future Court Attendance Notice for drive heavy vehicle not comply load constraint, and class one oversize permit offence. He is due to appear at Sutherland Local Court on Tuesday 1 November 2016.
Police will allege the driver used restraints for a 900kg load, when the engine weighed seven tonnes.
Forest Road was blocked for two hours while the machine was salvaged with the assistance of a passing crane.
Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, says the assistance of the crane helped to minimise traffic disruptions in the area.
“Operators travelling with oversize loads need to take appropriate precautions to ensure their own safety, and the safety of other motorists,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.
“Incident such as these can lead to serious crashes and it’s lucky other motorists weren’t injured or even killed.”

And the pictures to go along with it.
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj576/Snowfella/14188324_10154073415926185_6185408482565879467_o_zpsgjkymgf8 .jpg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj576/Snowfella/14125541_10154073415921185_1902555643540021158_o_zpsppb6b4cz .jpg

Not just any little engine he managed to drop!

Peter-RB
6th Sep 2016, 12:53
His future insurance premiums will be off the scale, the cost of testing that engine will be unbelievable compared with say a Box holding a V8 engine!!:ooh:

LowNSlow
6th Sep 2016, 12:56
That's a $10million plus dent if it doesn't buff out!

G-CPTN
6th Sep 2016, 13:09
Were they taking the engine from (or to) the airport?

Are engines stored 'off airport'? - or was it being taken away for some other purpose?

SMT Member
6th Sep 2016, 13:16
I'd be more worried about the bloke passing by with his crane, lifting the engine back up on the trailer knowing SFA about how to attach the chains. Squeeze here, squeeze there, and kaput goes several hundred thousands worth of spare parts.

Says the driver only restrained it to 900kg. That's an easy way to lose your job, but it may also result in the company he works for being found culpable. And then the insurance guys will run away, leaving two-teeth Tony and his haulage company with an astronomical bill for the repair.

Pontius Navigator
6th Sep 2016, 13:23
Lot of overhead cables too, H&S nightmare or field day depending on which team of lawyers you were using.

Fareastdriver
6th Sep 2016, 13:26
That's off to General Electric to be totally dismantled and shock tested. It will be about the cost of a new engine by the time they've finished.

onetrack
6th Sep 2016, 13:53
That's the result you get, for giving a job moving a $10M engine, to the lowest tenderer - or to the biggest national corporate transport company - whose main aim is to employ the least-qualified steering-wheel-attendants, for the minimum amount of pay.

There are professional hauliers, and then there's the rest - who regularly makes the headlines with truck rollovers, loads falling off, and truck crashes caused by fatigue or drugs.
The problem is, so many managers have no idea of the need to engage a professional with a faultless transport track record, when you have a crucial or expensive item to be moved with exceptional care.

Peter-RB
6th Sep 2016, 13:59
Onetrack ,...

Your bang on there mate, its like that here in the UK, with many not holding GIT
(goods in Transit ) policies...or more to the point leaving the insurance to the goods owners or first handler...:=

G-CPTN
6th Sep 2016, 14:05
An acquaintance secured a job with a well-known and respected heavy haulage contractor as a 'surveyor'.

He was sent out for his first job - transporting a glider engine.

Salusa
6th Sep 2016, 15:16
A tiger in Africa?

G-CPTN
6th Sep 2016, 15:26
There's the weight of the cradle.

Krystal n chips
6th Sep 2016, 16:48
Well yes, on the subject of buffing out.....here's a contender which could be described as, erm, "challenging".....

On the other hand, the location was Norfolk.....:hmm:

Car driven five miles on metal wheel rims and two tyres - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-37284094)

Loose rivets
6th Sep 2016, 16:57
Honest Gov, it fell off the back of a lorry.

I wonder if that engine wasn't claimed, you'd get to keep it after 90 days. Get over the Everglades at a serious speed with that.:ooh:

I was with my bosses and a training captain or two while walking from one of British Eagle's hangers, when my gaze alighted on a crated engine. It was so strange, many of the parts kind of smeared but then lacquered over. It was a 'new' engine and ready to be installed.

Of course, they'd have seen the problems, but I at least saved them from finding out at the last moment.

Thanks? No, not a word.

lomapaseo
6th Sep 2016, 17:22
P&W had some similar problems many years ago.

It seems that one of their super-secret engine to power the Blackbird ran into an overhead RR bridge when the driver tried taking a backroad to bypass searching eyes.

That was preceded by an afterburner falling off a truck turning a corner and landing in a guys front yard. It seems that the yard owner demanded a kings ransom for it so P&W left it lying in his yard for years afterwards.

google is your friend

vapilot2004
6th Sep 2016, 20:09
A good wrenchie can hammer out any dents in the turbine area with no problem and bend those blades back with a crowbar too.

SASless
6th Sep 2016, 20:34
There is a good living to be made hauling Aircraft Engines for the Airlines.

As they are expensive there are few spares laying about.

When they are needed....they usually are needed right now as there is an Aircraft AOG due to a bad engine.

Trucks stand by for to shorten response times for loading or for returning the bad Engine for Repair.

Several Companies do nothing but Engine Hauls and have specialized Tarps for each Engine Make/Model.

I thought about doing that kind of work but it required a Team Operation....two Drivers so as to allow pretty much a full 24 hours per day driving setup once dispatched.

It boggles the mind that the Driver did not properly secure the Load.

As Engines are really expensive to throw off a Trailer....usually only well experienced and proven Drivers get to haul them.

I noticed only small straps were used and not chains.

That is going to be a very expensive Claim on Insurance....and probably a Law Suit when the Insurance Company denies the Claim due to improper securement.

One thing is for sure.....that Driver is headed back to hauling groceries or fiberglass insulation. (Trucking Hell!)

TWT
6th Sep 2016, 21:56
The gearbox involved in the EC225 crash in Norway also 'fell off the back of a truck ' in Australia.Allegedly.People need to enlist experienced professionals for these jobs,rather than 'hope for the best' with random trucking companies.

As SASless notes,the GE aircraft engine does not appear to have been restrained by chains,just straps.Incredibly dumb.

Pappa Smurf
6th Sep 2016, 23:16
Having metal on metal is a sure way for a load to slide off as well.

blue up
7th Sep 2016, 07:24
There is a Youtube video of Eric Clutton (Aircraft designer) talking about how they had an 4000lb blast bomb roll off of the back of a truck and stop against the wall of a house when it was being transported to be emptied. Very funny film.

Found it...
EAA Video Player - Your Source for Aviation Videos (http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=22335971001)

Peter-RB
7th Sep 2016, 08:09
Just so all you aspiring hauliers will need to know..you do not use chains on the engine,..the cradle yes, it will have special reinforced eyes or lug hooks to take the tough chains( of the correct size), they are then fastened to the chassis of the carrying vehicle, with the engine bolted by transport type bolts to the steel carrying frame, this will give all the protection needed..then a nice fitted canvas or nylon bag followed by a fly sheet to ensure nothing reached the delicate( in transport terms) Aircraft power unit, of course you would use Air suspended tractor and trailer with multiple axles to ensure a near perfect shock free ride...

Other than that, either dont accept the haulage business..or have a very large value load Goods in transit insurance..with a written acceptance of you MO from the original customer who owns the said engine..only at that point should you turn on the HGV engine..:ok:

onetrack
7th Sep 2016, 11:08
MANAGEMENTS, "GREAT NUMBERS" ......

1. Arrange to move $10M jet engine.
2. Organise the cheapest haulier at $100.
3. Watch haulier secure engine with a couple of $15 ratchet straps.
4. See haulier speed through shortcut roads, to avoid $10 toll road fee.
5. Pictures of jet engine spread over the road after it falls off truck - PRICELESS!

Fareastdriver
7th Sep 2016, 18:29
You have to give the driver credit for not driving under a low bridge.

John Hill
7th Sep 2016, 19:13
Next time I have the notion of flying anywhere I hope the airline has engines that are not so delicate that a bit of a bump like that causes damage.

Stanwell
8th Sep 2016, 03:03
There are all sorts of questions about this one.
Aside from onetrack's wry observations above, I hear that when it did finally arrive at Mascot, It was just dumped
on the ramp somewhere near Domestic 3 - causing much inconvenience.

I might have thought its intended destination would have been the Qantas Maintenance Base.
The last I heard, Qantas had the contract to maintain the RAAF's 330s.

vapilot2004
8th Sep 2016, 06:11
Mr. Hill: Once hung from the pylon and cocooned in the nacelle, turbine engines can take a beating. Shipping cradles do not provide the same support or protection, but if handled properly, they work perfectly fine.

This example is a bit shy in flawless execution.

Falcon Al
8th Sep 2016, 06:38
Next time I have the notion of flying anywhere I hope the airline has engines that are not so delicate that a bit of a bump like that causes damage.

On smaller turbines the bearings for the fan and turbine shafts can brinell in one spot if the engine is dropped (when engine is not operating). I can only guess the same applies, with interest, on the larger engs. Handle with care.

Hard riding transport over bumps can do similar damage.

Peter-RB
8th Sep 2016, 06:44
Falcon..
Hence my comment of using "Air Suspended tractive unit and trailer" ;)

Falcon Al
8th Sep 2016, 09:42
Yeah I read and understood Pete,, but I was wondering whether Hilly had though. This is too much aviation content for my liking.

onetrack
9th Sep 2016, 02:36
Latest news report is the engine was on its way to an overseas "maintenance facility" - so it will be stripped down and checked out, anyway.