PDA

View Full Version : Do BA Captains et al still visit the passengers inflight?

5th Sep 2016, 19:37
Just watched an old BA documentary from 1992 and this subject came to mind. I know back in the day the Captain would maybe take a walk in the cabin and speak to the passengers, I suppose it was his contribution to customer service. Does it still happen in this post 9/11 world or is it legally forbidden?

I think, it was more common in long haul flights. I flew on a lot of short haul charter as a child pre 9/11 and never remember seeing the Captain inflight. Anyhow, I would say that many passengers appreciated a chance to speak to the Captain and most still would nowadays so I'm curious as to whether or not it still happens?! It's common to see the pilots in the cabin to use the toilet, so obviously they are allowed to leave the cockpit in some capacity!

Thanks!

KelvinD
6th Sep 2016, 17:02
Some years ago, I was on a flight from LHR to Kuwait. As we taxied to the runway, the Captain came on the PA to announce "We shall shortly be lined up on the runway and will be taking off toward New York....". Horrified looks all round ""Did I board the wrong flight?" etc. Waiting our turn at the end of the runway, he came on the PA again to announce that we will be making a left turn shortly before Ascot. Our track would then take us toward Sandown, passing Kempton Park then toward Epsom and Lingfield Park and finally to Folkstone before heading across the Channel. A litany of racecourses!
Not long after we were airborne, the drinks wagon came out and was rolled up adjacent to my seat. I ordered a G&T and then heard a voice behind me, saying "A gin and tonic for this gentleman, is it?". I looked around and the Captain was on my left shoulder and he proceeded to serve me my G & T! The cabin crew bloke had a grin from ear to ear as he watched!
Later in the flight, I had the chance to spend some time on the flight deck. First I asked him if, by any chance he likes horse racing. "Oh yes!" As we could see the lights of Arar and Al Jouf (Saudi Arabia), I spent some time telling him "war stories" from the time I spent maintaining Nav Aids at both of those airports. A smashing bloke and wouldn't it be nice if they were all like him.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Sep 2016, 18:18
And there was a BEA Captain who used to dance around the cabin playing a flute. Just shows how much the world has changed - for the worse.

V_2
6th Sep 2016, 21:42
Yes it still happens, but maybe not as much. Quite often whilst you think the captain is visiting the passengers doing good costumer service, they have actually been relieved by the 2nd crew, and if they are not feeling sleepy they will probably be bored and chatting to pax is a good way of stretching the legs and amusing oneself. Once flying back from Tokyo the Cpt even said in his welcome on board PA that we should not to be alarmed if we saw he walking about, there would be another set of crew still flying the plane! (just post Germanwings crash this was probably well worth mentioning)

kcockayne
6th Sep 2016, 21:51
I just hope that he/she doesn't leave the F/O alone in the cockpit !

joy ride
7th Sep 2016, 07:13
About 20 years ago I was on a flight from USA back to UK with my friend and business partner as Captain. Beside me was a woman who was on her first ever flight and absolutely terrified. I reassured her that Captain was "one of the best". This calmed her down a little but she was still very agitated.

Presently he came back to have a quick chat, and I introduced him to her and said how nervous she was. His well-chosen words completely reassured her, and from that moment she relaxed and enjoyed the rest of the flight.

Nothing works better than the personal touch, but sadly nowadays it is often not possible.

vctenderness
7th Sep 2016, 09:20
In 'the good old days' the customers loved seeing the Captain walk the cabins. These days with events in their minds I think it's the opposite.

It's a great shame. Although I was long serving cabin crew I also knew the value in customer service of the public seeing the folks who fly the thing walking around and answering questions.

kenparry
7th Sep 2016, 11:32
I just hope that he/she doesn't leave the F/O alone in the cockpit !

Since the Germanwings crash, a "no alone" rule has been imposed. If one of a 2-pilot crew needs to leave the flight deck, a cabin crew member must sit in during the absence - though not in a pilot's seat.

PS: See next post; what I said applies to one airline of which I have close knowledge - but I had wrongly thought that was universal throughout EASA-land. Thanks to wiggy for the correction.

wiggy
7th Sep 2016, 11:39
Since the Germanwings crash, a "no alone" rule has been imposed. If one of a 2-pilot crew needs to leave the flight deck, a cabin crew member must sit in during the absence - though not in a pilot's seat.

Ummmm..that's a very definitive statement and perhaps there's a risk of it causing concern amongst the more observant of the travelling public.

I'm not going to go into airline specific stuff but just to set the record straight the original EASA recommendations following the Germanwings accident allowed companies some latitude in the method(s) used to ensure compliance with EASA's wishes. The "not alone" policy was not the only acceptable option, though it was the one many operators chose.

Following further debate and consultation EASA SIB 2016-09 is the current reference document for European operators on the subject and is summarised here:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/newsroom-and-events/news/minimum-cockpit-occupancy-easa-issues-revised-safety-information-bulletin

What I would say in response to the OP is that these days you're almost certainly not going to see prolonged cabin walk rounds unless, as has been pointed out, there are extra flight crew being carried and the pilot walking the cabin is on a break.

GAXLN
7th Sep 2016, 13:39
Not quite a BA Captain story unless viewed through a subsequent tenuous BCAL/Dan Air ownership link but I recall being on a package holiday with my parents to Austria back in '76. BCAL 1-11 out of Gatwick to Munich. Our return 10 days or so later was also planned for the same, but it was a weekend of Spanish ATC strikes and the BCAL programme became heavily disrupted - our flight took a substantial delay.

When we were eventually called to the gate and boarded our bus, it then meandered across the apron, but there was no sign of a BCAL 1-11. However, in the direction we were heading was the distinctive silhouette of what looked to be a Comet 4. Surely I could not be so lucky? Well, I was.

The bus pulled up by the aircraft steps and all became clear once we were on board. The Dan Air Captain made his announcement and said we needed to get back to Gatwick quickly for some reason or another. We had managed to get the seats at the front which gave me a good view of the front galley area. No sooner had the flight got to cruising level, out came the Captain and started helping the cabin crew with the meal service boxes. It has always stuck in my mind as showing an organisation where status didn't matter but getting the job done did. If that Captain is still with us, after all these years, can I say "Job well done, Sir!". It remained my only Comet flight so, on that one occasion, perhaps, the Spanish controllers did me a big favour.

wub
7th Sep 2016, 13:55
I recall hearing a story of a BA captain introducing himself to a first class passenger, who lowered his newspaper and, looking at the captain over the top of his glasses said, "Did I call you?"

average-punter
9th Sep 2016, 12:44
In today's world you can guarantee any form of visit to the cabin to "enhance the customer experience" would be met with a plethora of mobile phone either filming or taking photos, combine that with the world of constant litigation and people taking "offence" at anything they want to, e.g. a PA then you can see why no one bothers now. A bit sad really.

avionic type
15th Sep 2016, 18:46
Ah HEATHROW DIRECTOR ,I see the mystical "Tales of the Late Great Capt. Wellford " has arisen again I heard it was on a "Lizzy" and the instrument was a Ukulele, after a complaint that he didn't entertain [visit] his passengers on a previous flight, and was spoken to by his Flight Manager . He didn't suffer fools gladly and was rather autocratic but a charming man and great fun ,tales abound of his exploits some true and some embellished down the years.