PDA

View Full Version : NZ CPL Privileges and Limitations

kevinlee251
5th Sep 2016, 10:50
Hi guys,

I always have this question in my mind after I got my CPL.

What's the privilege of CPL holder?

The CAANZ Part 61 stats

CPL holder may act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft that is certificated for
single pilot operation and engaged on an operation for hire or
reward:

So a CPL holder can actually conduct a flight, taking passengers onboard and get reward if the flight is non-profit flight?

Ok, Let's create a totally fake scenario first,

Friend A bought a brand new 2016 Cirrus :E and has his new Cirrus registered under his company, just for tax benefits. However, he has no pilot license and know nothing about flying (unlikely for those kind of people would by a Cirrus, but yeah, just for example), he ask me if I can fly his Cirrus and take him around NZ, no ticket will sold to anyone, POB will always be his family members or his staffs...He is so kind and willing to give me a good salary, say 60k a year:*, or let's say... a day rate of $300/day. :D

Am I eligible to take this money and conduct those flights for him? :confused:

I assume if no ticks were sold on those flights, and all those flights are essentially non-profit flights, we don't really need a Part135 certificate from CAA??:bored:

I used to be told that the only privilege of CPL holder is eligible for work at a Part 135 company...If it's true, I think the license would be quite useless for those people who do not willing to work as full time pilot...:(

Please forgive my ignorance,;)

27/09
6th Sep 2016, 00:17
Effectively you are an employee of his company, therefore you don't need a CPL, just a PPL. No requirement for a CPL or Part 119 AOC. The minute money changes hands for anyone or anything to be transported in that that aircraft then it's a whole new ball game.

It's no different than if you were to be the driver of his Roll Royce, (pick any car of your fancy). You don't need a Passenger Service Licence to do that, unless the occupants are paying to travel in that vehicle.

I used to be told that the only privilege of CPL holder is eligible for work at a Part 135 company...If it's true, I think the license would be quite useless for those people who do not willing to work as full time pilot... Yep essentially correct though some pilots do work part time. Also the training for the CPL should significantly improve your flying/decision making skills.