PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne - Maroochy

Sunfish
4th Sep 2016, 05:57
Sitting here in Coolum with convalescing partner and idly thinking of planning melbourne Maroochydore by LSA and return.

The drive was about 22 hours with breaks. Flying is around 8 hours air time. Does Melbourne, Temora, Dubbo, Goondiwindi, Tamworth make sense? Possible overnight at goondi or Dubbo depending on weather,

The coastal route seems to me to suffer from a lack of strips, too much tiger country and the embuggerisation of Sydney, Newcastle and Brisbane airspace.

fujii
4th Sep 2016, 06:28
I have done that and the coastal route. If going inland, try Tamworth to Goondiwindi rather than the way you suggested. It will save a lot of extra miles.

I prefer the coastal route. Wagga, Camden, no tiger country, through the VFR route between Bankstown and Richmond then pick up the coast. Williamtown isn't as bad as Dick Smith wants people to believe. In addition to the main ports, Taree, Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour and others, there are numerous ALA along the coast, some quite large running skydiving operations. Fuel is readily available.

As you approach Evans Head, give BN centre a call, check the status or the restricted areas and let them know you'll want to transit the Gold Coast zone coastal. They'll probably give you a code and let Gold Coast tower you're coming.

You'll need to go east of BN zone via the Stradbroke Island.

If coming back, one coastal and one inland route. All you need to do then is decide who gets the best look at Surfers Paradise, you or the passenger.

djpil
4th Sep 2016, 11:10
Depending on whether I'm in a Pitts or something with more fuel (where my own endurance may be limiting) my favourite stops are: Tocumwal, Temora, Narromine, Moree & Toowoomba.
Narromine has friendly accommodation on the field.

Squawk7700
4th Sep 2016, 13:15
Well I hope Sunfish you are planning on hiring something faster rather than using your yet to be completed 81 knot bug smashing fat winged sewing machine powered home built otherwise it might take longer than 8 hours!

Dora-9
4th Sep 2016, 18:37
djpil - Narromine? Great place to stop IF you can get the fuel bowser to work! I've been there five times in the last 2 years, and the bowser worked just twice! I plan on Dubbo instead now...

djpil
5th Sep 2016, 12:57
Yep, I've had problems with the bowser and heard of more problems a few months ago. Worked fine a month or so ago and going there again in a couple of weeks for an event where it will get a bit of a workout.

rjtjrt
5th Sep 2016, 21:55
Yep, I've had problems with the bowser and heard of more problems a few months ago. Worked fine a month or so ago and going there again in a couple of weeks for an event where it will get a bit of a workout.

djpil
Can you post on how the Narromine bowser is after you test it out?

Jetjr
6th Sep 2016, 06:25
Narromine bowser did have some issues for a while, to do with card processing and banks/telstra
Can always ring owner and they come and arrange fuel and card payment.

Dora-9
6th Sep 2016, 19:14
Can always ring owner and they come and arrange fuel and card payment. Really? Not my experience...