PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Scanning Advice

Babi Melayu
2nd Jul 2002, 18:20
From all your experiences, please tell me what you do, what you look for, why you do it and how you approach flying (psychologically)

Thanks

STANDTO
3rd Jul 2002, 18:08
Should this post be replied to in the current climate?

Mike RO'Channel
3rd Jul 2002, 19:09
Chase the needles, use the force and bullsh.t

Sloppy Link
3rd Jul 2002, 21:34
One peek is worth a thousand scans

L J R
4th Jul 2002, 19:18
TRIM

Fay Deck
4th Jul 2002, 20:34
No word of a lie, one of my old instructors told me to try and look at all the instruments at once but bias your attention on the AI!

It took me a while to realise that you must look at the instruments one after the other very quickly and chase the needles just as fast.

There endeth the lesson. If I can be of any further assistance, just ask.

Fay

teeteringhead
5th Jul 2002, 06:15
At the risk of providing a sensible answer to what was probably a sensible question, I believe current CFS teaching favours the "selective radial scan".

To do this, much of your scan remains on the prime attitude instrument, be it AH, AI or whatever, with radial scans (spokes from a hub if you like) going out to other instruments. The choice of other instrument, and frequency of scan to them, will depend on the manouevre the aircraft is undertaking. So, for example, during a climb or descent, the altimeter will be scanned more frequently, during a turn the compass, during speed changes the ASI. But all instruments will be regularly scanned [don't neglect engine insts, which are probably apart from the flight insts].

Don't "chase needles", but give any changes you make [attitude, power, control input] time to take effect before you make further changes. It's a feedback loop, and you are the man [or woman] in the loop. Think: Select - Hold - Adjust - Trim. And if it hasn't worked, re-Select etc.

Much of my recent flying has been rotary, which is probably trickier than fixed wing in IMC [now THERE'S a contentious remark!], but the theory should still hold. And trim for S & L if you have that luxury.

Of course, you need a decently designed instrument panel to start with ...........

As to the psychological approach, it should be calm and measured; take everything in slightly slower motion than you would when flying visually, and try and relax, both mentally [difficult IMC on fuel minima with no diversion!] and physically [no white knuckles on the controls!].

And finally: practice as much as you can [or can afford if you're paying for it], it is a skill that fades quickly. And while not [perhaps] the most exciting flying, it's the one most likely to save your life one day ...................

Zoom
5th Jul 2002, 10:42
Four other points to consider:

1. The bigger the aircraft, the more time your corrections will require to take effect.

2. In IMC, fly as smoothly as you would if you had a couple of aircraft formating on you.

3. In times of crisis, Get On Gauges - they seldom lie, whereas your senses often do.

4. When you bring the clock into your scan pattern, you're not concentrating properly.

Autorev
5th Jul 2002, 12:04
I seem to remember being told it was all about throwing oranges
'You're either a thrower or a catcher' apparently:(
The proposer claimed he could solve anyone's IF problems in 30 mins...maybe that is why he was a groundschool instructor at Linton

Mmmmnice
6th Jul 2002, 19:41
If you are in the sim - a selective radial scan centred on the clock. "Who cares if the engines stopped - we're out of here in 5 mins!!"
Sorry that's a very slack way of approaching a very serious problem. Lots of people will give you all kinds of hints and tips - try them all and pick the one(s) that work for you - there is always more than on way to get the fur coat off kitty.

Babi Melayu
7th Jul 2002, 09:15
Say you're going for an IFR flight after not having done it for yonks, how would you do your PERSONAL PREPARATION right from ground up?!

What goes on in your MINDS?

Cheers and long live to all

AllTrimDoubt
8th Jul 2002, 10:06
Sneak into Ops early and change your name for someone else on the planning board...no more prep required.:D :D :D

caspertheghost
9th Jul 2002, 19:47
Wise man say - "He who chases needles fastest, flies better IF"

Goes against all the CFS techniques though!
The best advice I can give you is fly smoothly, TRIM, and think ahead i.e. where should I be positioning for my next approach/UP etc.

Broken Wings
10th Jul 2002, 18:05
BM

Regarding prep my QFI taught me yonks ago to fly the sortie in your mind on the crapper/in the bath/probably even prolongs the pleasure if you do it whilst on top of the wife/mistress/girlfriend (if you're lucky and get all three at once then clearly IF prep goes out of the window!). Sports Psychologists teach this as well and I believe they call it "mental rehearsal". I wasn't fortunate enough to have any natural ability during my training and had to work bloody hard to scrape through the IRT's and this technique certainly helped me. Best of luck. BW

Mmmmnice
12th Jul 2002, 21:03
How about "go into a rating trip with a hangover - that way your reactions are so slow your flying appears incredibly smooth"

Sorry again, that advice was from a Sqn IRE would you believe!

'Push the head - drag the tail' - always worked for me

Broken Wings
13th Jul 2002, 19:03
Mnnnnice

Sadly your advice was true in my case as my best ever IRT was White>Green with a hangover AND third trip of the day. You're right I was so slow that everything was unhurried and smooth. I was 23 then and I don't think I could cope with that technique anymore.

Seaking
16th Jul 2002, 18:24
:D Must agree.

My bestest ever was also after a late day-night run.Couldnt do it now(about 27 then) but it was the best IR renewal ever flown and in a helicopter inreal IMC ! Afterwards i was given a pat on the back,told to go home to bed and NOT to do it again.I haven't and wouldn't but oh to be youngish again !

And as for the state of the other two guys........

On a serious note rember the 6 p's

Prior
Planning
Prevents
P**s
Poor
Performance

Center radial scan based on the AH works for me and its what i have thought my students,hopefully with some success.Practice your partial panel,you never know when you might need it.Try using a sim on your pc.I find it handy if only to help visualise where i am on the approach before i sit a test.And alway try and plan ahead,be aware of your limitations(personal and aircraft),think outside the box,use all your resources (ie your useful if a little slow co-pilot - might be the only chance you get to make the IRE do som work for you !

And enjoy it.Instrument flying requires a lot of self dicipline but it is an art that can be learned,perfected and enjoyed.

:rolleyes:

Flatus Veteranus
16th Jul 2002, 19:46
Needle, ball, airspeed, needle, ball, airspeed, needle, ball, airspeed, needle, ball, airspeed ........;)

Farfrompuken
16th Jul 2002, 20:40
Have To agree....

My best ever IRT was after a Squadron Stag do. I nearly chundered on T.O. when we went IMC. Seemed to work though.

However, if you are more professional, and you know you have a check ride, the mental visualisation technique can come in handy.

Or gaff if off, stop worrying about it and have a beer or five, safe in the knowlege that you are preparing well.....

Good Luck!

Murphy
17th Jul 2002, 09:09
NEVER!!!

Concentrate on one instrument. Sort that out, then move onto the next. Then the next. Then the next.

By that time the first will have moved, Slippery Bu**er!! Get that back, and the next will have moved, whats going on. Move your gaze to the Clock, and will it to go faster.

Ignore the abuse coming through the Headset. Close your Eyes!!

Use the Force!!!

Nope that doesn't work. Try squinting at the instruments. Try willing the clock to move again. Sure it's stopped!?

By now don't believe any of them and trust your judgement, senses haven't failed you for years.

"I HAVE CONTROL!!!!"

"Not bad Huh?.....Huh?"

Not my strongest subject.

Grey Area
17th Jul 2002, 13:55
When IRIing a while back I used to get prospective Master Green types to fly 5 minutes on AI with all other instruments covered, no power changes allowed. The BIGGEST error I got was 250', 15 kts and 20 deg heading, normally we were within 50', 5 kts and 5 degs i.e. Master Green with no scan! The point was to show that the AI is the key, if you scan nothing else but hold the CORRECT speed stable attitude and correct power setting nothing else can change, its the law. This even works, after a fashion, for climbing and descending coordinated turns.

As far as preparation goes, sure fly the sortie in your head a few times but try and relax before the trip, do something diverting.............like your girlfriend ;) .

Hope that helps

GA

Babi Melayu
18th Jul 2002, 18:20
You mentioned mental preparation, do give us a run down on what you visualise