PDA

View Full Version : Wind turbine kills phone.

Flyingmac
1st Sep 2016, 16:21
They've stuck a huge wind turbine on a hill above the village. Close to a phone mast. It went active four days ago. At the same time, my mobile signal disappeared. My wife's mobile, on a different network, is unaffected.
Been here for years with the same network with no problems.

I'm guessing the mast belongs to my network. Vodafone says that it's aware of the problem and is working on it. I'm wondering how long to give them before I switch. It can't have been a surprise to them.

maliyahsdad2
1st Sep 2016, 16:23
Makes a change from birds.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Sep 2016, 16:46
It can't have been a surprise to them.
They might not have known for sure how serious a problem it would be, so decided to wait for complaints before actually spending any actual money?

radeng
1st Sep 2016, 17:02
They can't have very good propagation models and simulation, then. More likely, they weren't even aware it was going to be put up there, and so didn't simulate it.

Trossie
2nd Sep 2016, 09:04
I would prefer to see a thread entitled "Phone kills wind turbine".

Hideous bloody things destroying our beautiful countryside. Especially when they do nowt in the middle of a cold winter's high-pressure system.

radeng
2nd Sep 2016, 18:29
Trossie,

Same with these enormous solar farms and the electromagnetic pollution they cause with their unfiltered inverters and crap cabling.

Windy Militant
2nd Sep 2016, 19:19
A few years ago when the works phones were on Vodafone the only place on site you could get 3G was next to the Wind turbine. This was strange as when Vodaphone got the contract we were all scratching our heads as to why them. There was no signal on site from Vodafone. So after much whinging they built a mast on site. Still no signal on half the site for many years and no 3G (except by the wind turbine), which caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst the twitterati meja types.
We are now with another provider. ;)
PS The 3G signal could not be picked up on a mound pretty much level with the top of the phone mast but worked on the opposite side of the turbine to the mast. :confused: