PDA

View Full Version : Taxying rules of the air - vehicle towing aircraft vs taxying aircraft

GipsyMagpie
1st Sep 2016, 14:48
Who has right of way over the other? A vehicle towing an aircraft vs an aircraft taxying? Please state your regulatory authority in your reply (if anyone has ICAO reference I'd be grateful)

Tom!
1st Sep 2016, 15:02
The UK Rules of the Air Regulations 2007 Rule 42 refers to right of way on the ground

Paragraph 2: ‘Notwithstanding any airtraffic control clearance it shall remain the duty of the commander of a flying machine to take all possible measures to ensure that his flying machine does not collide with any other aircraft or vehicle.’

Paragraph 4 then states:
'Vehicles and flying machines which are not taking off or landing shall give way to vehicles towing aircraft.’

Amadis of Gaul
1st Sep 2016, 15:05
Good question. I'm not aware of a specific FAR to address that, but in practice ground control will decide that.

Tinstaafl
2nd Sep 2016, 04:38
Australia, UK & USA give right of way to an aircraft being towed.

Capn Bloggs
2nd Sep 2016, 05:31
Tinstaafl, do you have an Aussie reference?

GipsyMagpie
2nd Sep 2016, 05:58
Thank you for the replies. The 2007 Rules of the Air are of course obsolete - EASA SERA led to the 2015 Rules of the Air. And here's the bit I found that led to my original question SERA.3210:

vehicles and vehicles towing aircraft shall give way to aircraft which are landing, taking off, taxiing or being towed.

Also in USA it says for vehicle drivers in several different aviation circulars:

f. Yield to aircraft, passengers, and emergency vehicles, which ALWAYS
have the right-of-way on the Air Operations Area of the airport.

So are you sure about that?

Capn Bloggs
2nd Sep 2016, 06:04
vehicles and vehicles towing aircraft shall give way to aircraft which are landing, taking off, taxiing or being towed.

Vehicles towing aircraft shall give way to ...aircraft which are being towed... ?

DaveReidUK
2nd Sep 2016, 07:06
Vehicles towing aircraft shall give way to ...aircraft which are being towed... ?

That's a quote from an EU Reg (923) - it doesn't have to make sense. :O

EUR-Lex - 02012R0923-20160818 - EN - EUR-Lex (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:02012R0923-20160818)

Tinstaafl
3rd Sep 2016, 04:06
Bloggs, once upon a time I could quote chapter & verse. Been away from Oz too long so all that has gone to the great memory dump in the sky...