PDA

View Full Version : AV8 Helicopters...RIP

idle stop
31st Aug 2016, 19:47
AV8 Helicopters Ltd ceases AOC and ATO operations at midnight on 31st August. It is understood that its premises at Rochester Airport are being vacated.
Very sorry to see the demise of another company. It has held its AOC since the beginning of 2005. Its founder, Carl Cochrane, sadly died in 2013 a few months after the company's original backers had sold it on. It is sad to see that his legacy will not survive.

flight beyond sight
1st Sep 2016, 07:20
It is indeed sad and yet another example how small AOC operators are being driven out of business by the ever escalating costs and red tape.

VeeAny
1st Sep 2016, 08:14
It is indeed sad, the costs get bigger, there are a few companies out there at the moment who are clearly taking loss making hits on charters to force the smaller companies out (perhaps that's just business).

I saw one of the directors a couple of weeks ago and at least their plan was to do the honourable thing and close down without owing the rest of the industry money.

Good luck to all concerned.

Hughes500
1st Sep 2016, 21:47
The issue with expense is the unnecessary expense
for instance I am required to have an internal auditor to audit the maintenance company that looks after the aircraft. I also have to employ an external auditor to audit the maintenance company twice a year. fair enough you say. BUT the maintenance company as an internal auditor as well as an external auditor and guess what they are audited by The CAA. Any industry that needs 6 levels of auditing must be f...ed Could someone please tell me what is the point the regulator can't !

Sanus
1st Sep 2016, 23:26
Total respect to AV8.

They paid all their bills before pulling the plug. An example to others.

Cylinder Head
5th Sep 2016, 16:16
Very sorry to hear about AV8. Good luck to everyone in the future and well done for ensuring everyone got paid before closing the doors.
Hughes500 has it absolutely right, the current level of auditing required is disproportionate and flies in the face of the Governments Red Tape challenge to reduce the administrative burden on small businesses.
Why do the Authorities insisting on treating all aviation operators as if they are airlines with loads of support staff and the ability to defray costs across a large volume of seats sold. When will they understand that this model does not work for small operators operating small helicopters.