PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Foreign Drivers

racedo
30th Aug 2016, 22:45
Soham lorry drives wrong way on roundabout near A14 - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-37218227)

Ban them from the roads............................. oh wait.

lomapaseo
30th Aug 2016, 22:54
The originals in the UK invite this kind of driving response by being so far out of line with the way that most of the world has learned to drive.

Y'll should add an extra lane for tourists to intermingle while doing round-a-bouts

TWT
30th Aug 2016, 23:29
Foreign driver ?

the fully-qualified "English national, ex-Army" driver was "clearly confused"

Mr Optimistic
30th Aug 2016, 23:34
Round-a-bouts ? You'll not be passing yourself off as a local with that one, unless it's a popular dance in Slough.

Union Jack
31st Aug 2016, 00:06
The originals in the UK invite this kind of driving response by being so far out of line with the way that most of the world has learned to drive.

If that's what Lomapaseo really thinks, then perhaps he should have a look at Which side of the road do they drive on? Brian Lucas (http://brianlucas.ca/roadside/) , especially the Exceptions.:ok:
Jack

Shmoo
31st Aug 2016, 02:02
Great link, Union Jack......fascinating stuff!

ExSp33db1rd
31st Aug 2016, 02:39
Just returned from a short stay in Honolulu, where I noticed that there was a definite tendency for pedestrians to keep to the right, and as I was keeping to the left this caused a few issues, especially with females having eyes glued to the inevitable cellphone, but I was ready with my reply should I have been challenged, viz. the British Union Jack is part of the Hawaiian flag !

'course, I could have conformed, and kept right !

Stanwell
31st Aug 2016, 04:38
Thanks for that link, Union Jack.
A most interesting and indeed valuable reference work for when such discussions arise at social gatherings - as they do, from time to time.

Pontius Navigator
31st Aug 2016, 07:52
I understand that the Belgiques are going to switch to driving on the left - it will be done in stages, buses first.

However the French have always shown a strong preference foir driving on the left, or right, or wherever.

oldpax
31st Aug 2016, 08:17
drive on the left,India ,most of southern africa,Thailand ,Malaysia,Indonesia,Japan,the Caribbean,Orstralia and New zealand.Thats a fair amount and theres probably lots of little islands that do.Of course a lot of them will drive as they please!!Did Hong Kong?I have been just dont remember.

Andy_S
31st Aug 2016, 08:33
Did Hong Kong?I have been just dont remember.

Yes, they also drive on the Left. As do Ireland, Cyprus and Malta, so the UK isn't even the only country in Europe to drive on the Left......

Pontius Navigator
31st Aug 2016, 08:47
Don't forget the whole of the Indian subcontinent.

Ancient Mariner
31st Aug 2016, 08:48
Some realised their errors, like Sweden.
Per

sitigeltfel
31st Aug 2016, 09:00
There is one street in the UK where you must drive on the right, Savoy Court outside the Savoy Hotel in London.

Ancient Mariner
31st Aug 2016, 09:04
That's a start, keep up the good work and you'll get there in the end.
Per

alwayzinit
31st Aug 2016, 09:18
There is another road in the UK where driving on the Right is common practice.
Tarporley High Street, just after school drop off time when the Mummies must arrange their nail appointments and lunches whilst ignoring everyone else on the road from the dizzy heights of their Range Rovers!:eek:
BAH HUMBUG!

DirtyProp
31st Aug 2016, 09:18
Lefty-drivers are still the minority.
Get with the program and start driving the right way, folks.

alwayzinit
31st Aug 2016, 09:38
DP, I hear what you are saying Old Boy, but putting one's form of conveyance on the right interferes awfully with one's sword arm, when dealing with blighters coming towards, don'tchaknow!
More to the point why did the US change to the Righthand side? Was it after that little tiff that finished in 1783? Poor horses! They must have been very confused!

SMT Member
31st Aug 2016, 10:23
If 'foreign' drivers are to be banned from UK roads, may we then expect widely accepted reciprocity, so that UK drivers will be banned from roads on the continent? It would make the roads around Le Mans in mid June a tad more boring, but, in the name of safety that's a price I'm willing to pay.

charliegolf
31st Aug 2016, 10:25
However the French have always shown a strong preference foir driving on the left, or right, or wherever.

Unlike the Maltese, who simply drive in the shade!

PDR1
31st Aug 2016, 10:32
In the 1st world we drive on the left - commies and their fellow travellers deviate to the right to leave the left clear for the invading red hoardes!

NURSE - IS IT TIME FOR MY MEDICATION?

PDR

Carry0nLuggage
31st Aug 2016, 10:34
Having left the British empire perhaps the American colonies thought they'd soon be part of the French empire and hence changed to riding on the right.

The Swedes realized their mistake on the 4th September 1967.:E

From experience, in India driving is not exclusively on the left. :eek:

Tankertrashnav
31st Aug 2016, 11:18
Of course everyone rode on the left until Napoleon came along and made the whole of Europe (almost) drive their carts on the right. The French loving USA followed Napoleon's rule, of course, and moved across to the right.

Its fairly obvious that most of the countries which drive on the left are former British colonies, but the Dutch colonised a number of countries before Napoleon enforced his shift on them The result is that whereas they drive on the right in the Netherlands, Indonesia (formerly the Dutch East Indies) still has the keep left rule. Same applies to Suriname (formerly Dutch Guiana) which is one of only two countries on the American continental mainland to drive on the left (the other is neighbouring Guyana, formerly British Guiana).

Japan drives on the left as it has never been colonised by anyone, although I believe that during the US occupation after WW2 there was a move to force a shift to the right, but the clever Japanese resisted ;)

oldpax - the Chinese constructed a very clever "cloverleaf" arrangement on the border with "mainland" China. Going north from Hong Kong you enter while driving on the left and leave driving on the right (and vice-versa of course).

AtomKraft
31st Aug 2016, 13:30
In India they drive on the left.

and the right.....

MoateAir
31st Aug 2016, 13:34
"There is one street in the UK where you must drive on the right, Savoy Court outside the Savoy Hotel in London."

What about the Magic Roundabouts (Hemel Hempstead and Swindon)? You can attack those from any direction and go around them however you like. Done them both once, but I had my eyes mostly closed though....

Fareastdriver
31st Aug 2016, 13:52
China drove on the left hand side until 1st Jan 1946. Hong Kong and Macau, even when it was run by the Portuguese, still do.

Loose rivets
31st Aug 2016, 13:55
In the early 70's I recall the Scandyhooligans all having to drive at 30 with their headlights on.

Anyone not obeying this rule during the transition period was told that they were norty and sent orf to chop wood. So it was said.

ian16th
31st Aug 2016, 14:05
The former Portuguese colonies of Mozambique and Angola and the island of Mauritius can be added to the list.

Fareastdriver
31st Aug 2016, 14:14
It is said that during the Cultural Revolution Mao decreed that the traffic lights be used a different way. One would have to stop on the green and go on the red. The reason for this was that red, i.e. the Communist Party, was the way forward.

This belief was repeated in the film 'The Last Emperor' where a retired Emperor Pi Yi is seen stopped at the green on his bicycle.

It wasn't true; honest.

Ancient Mariner
31st Aug 2016, 15:17
In the early 70's I recall the Scandyhooligans all having to drive at 30 with their headlights on.

Anyone not obeying this rule during the transition period was told that they were norty and sent orf to chop wood. So it was said.

No idea what you're on about, and I am a Scandihooligan.
For clarification, Scandinavia, like Europe consists of more than one country.
The EU on the other....oh, never mind....
Per

ShyTorque
31st Aug 2016, 15:24
After my first 45 kilometre taxi trip in Thailand from airport to hotel, we arrived very shaken up and totally unable to work out which side of the road they were actually supposed to drive on. Our driver drove and overtook on both sides of the road and also used both grass verges.

Pontius Navigator
31st Aug 2016, 19:30
In India they drive on the left.

and the right.....
And at night drive without lights to save battery, alternator, and improve fuel consumption

Blues&twos
31st Aug 2016, 20:44
Shytorque, when I first went to Thailand on holiday with my parents back in the '80s, we got a minibus/taxi from Bangkok to Pattaya. It was early evening when we set off and the taxi driver soon dozed off at the wheel. My dad managed to stop the taxi, insisted the driver had a kip in the back or he wouldn't get paid and drove the taxi rest of the way himself.

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Aug 2016, 23:24
There is one street in the UK where you must drive on the right, Savoy Court outside the Savoy Hotel in London.
And one in Bath, or at least there was.