PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Nimrod Memorial

camelspyyder
30th Aug 2016, 12:35
It's that awfully sad week for Maritime again, and I just found this online:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93934248@N00/286128913/in/photostream/

I'm sharing this because I cannot be the only member of the community who has never seen it before.

CS

Wander00
30th Aug 2016, 13:06
Not Maritime, but greatest respect. RIP

Hueymeister
30th Aug 2016, 13:36
The Vertical Stabiliser from the aircraft is to be sent back from Canada soon. The current custodian is looking to get the item flown from Trenton by either RCAF or RAF means, just trying to sort out the logistics.

Shack37
30th Aug 2016, 16:11
camelspyyder

Thanks for that post, like yourself, I hadnīt seen it.

RIP

Avtur
30th Aug 2016, 18:11
The Vertical Stabiliser from the aircraft is to be sent back from Canada soon. The current custodian is looking to get the item flown from Trenton by either RCAF or RAF means, just trying to sort out the logistics.

Where will this live once it comes back to the UK?

Rocket2
30th Aug 2016, 19:35
I was lucky to be able to pay my respects to the guys on a visit to the museum & at the lake about 5 years ago, the museum staff were wonderful. I can still vividly see the video of the accident & choke up when Nimrod is played. I sincerely hope that the memorial can come home. RIP lads.

cold at the back
31st Aug 2016, 01:37
The window is no longer on the base (since it became Kinloss Barracks) but resides in one of the local churches I believe. I'm sure someone will be along with more accurate information!
Regarding the window - the constellation of Orion (The Hunter) is at the top. Depicted with seven stars - each star representing a member of the crew who lost their lives.
Obviously you can see the skyline of Toronto and a maple leaf floating on Lake Ontario to show the connection between Toronto, Canada and the RAF Maritime community.
The CXX motto - Endurance is at the bottom.
Rgds CATB

bluetail
31st Aug 2016, 10:20
21 Years ago on Friday

Hueymeister
1st Sep 2016, 03:03
AVTUR,

I believe that Morayvia will be looking to build a suitable memorial around it.

Avtur
1st Sep 2016, 14:37
Thanks; sounds like the perfect place.

Rocket2
1st Sep 2016, 19:41
"21 Years ago on Friday"

Jeez it only seems like yesterday. Will be raising a glass to them.

TylerMonkey
2nd Sep 2016, 03:02
At the Shearwater airshow I saw one of the crew playing bagpipes standing on the wing late in the day.
It is a very strong memory. . . I often wondered who he was.