PDA

View Full Version : using a cordless mouse with a MacBook

Wiley
30th Aug 2016, 09:35
I've gone across to the Dark Side - or some might say, I've moved over from the Dark Side - and bought a MacBook. Mostly, it's been a positive experience, although involving more than a little 'unlearning' after quite a few years working with Mr Gates' products.

The one negative had been the mouse. I make quite extensive use of two CAD programs, both of which use the roller ball of the mouse to save a lot of key stroking. (the 'very expensive] Apple 'smart mouse' is a PITA and close to useless, even after jigging it to recognise a right mouse key and a couple of other fiddles you can make while setting it up).

I've been able to make good use of my old cordless mouse on the MacBook and found it to work seamlessly with the Apple programs and particularly the two CAD programs. But the killer is that the MacBook has only the one hardware point, which combines power and any other hardware (like a USB plug for my cordless mouse). So whenever I'm working on the CAD programs, (which can be for extended periods), I'm forced to be on battery.

I'm about to buy the (again, very expensive) combo plug in which will allow me to have the USB plug and the power cable attached at the same time. However, I wondered if there's a cordless mouse (with a roller ball) out there that I could connect with the MacBook using software rather than via a USB plug.

Can anyone advise if there is such a beast out there? Will the ones advertised as 'bluetooth' do what I'm looking for?

ExXB
30th Aug 2016, 10:46
Why do you need an USB plug for your cordless mouse?

If you are using it for charging the mouse battery, and using Bluetooth for your mouse, you can plug the USB plug into another computer, or a USB charger (phone charger for example)

Wiley
30th Aug 2016, 11:50
The USB 'plug' I preferred to should probably be called the dongle. (?) It's a pretty basic cordless mouse, and it requires the dongle for the computer to recognise it. It is not bluetooth.

Background Noise
30th Aug 2016, 12:33
Yes, you can use a mouse which connects directly to the MacBook's own bluetooth, rather than via the mouse's 'dongle'.

The Apple store lists a logitech which will work with or without a receiver dongle, but there are much cheaper ones available, eg:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UXC4HNQ

le Pingouin
30th Aug 2016, 14:24
What make and model is the mouse you're currently using? Your choices are pretty limited with getting a Bluetooth trackball - I think a Kensington Expert Wireless Trackball is the only one. What adapter are you looking at?

Wiley
30th Aug 2016, 22:39
Thanks for the replies.

One site, (Wirecutter) sings the praises of the Logitech Marathon. The Best Wireless Mouse | The Wirecutter (http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wireless-mouse/)

Has anyone had any experience with the Marathon?

le Pingouin
31st Aug 2016, 03:44
Doesn't help with your original problem though.