PDA

View Full Version : Dan-Air 'compass and flag' logo

Mooncrest
29th Aug 2016, 10:13
Is there any history to this distinctive emblem ? Who designed it, what is its significance, if any ?

Thankyou.

treadigraph
30th Aug 2016, 06:55
I'd suppose it's Davies and Newman's history as shipping brokers

HZ123
31st Aug 2016, 08:37
I cannot remember the year the company was absorbed into BA, but as BA staff I went to the Danair HQ which was located very close to Southwark Cathedral. It was shared though separate entrances with the shipping arm that continued in business.

I was part of the BA security team that attended to secure documentation. Of more interest were the many paintings of their aircraft fleet on the walls. This was a Friday afternoon and due to travel issues we did not stop long, however, we went back Monday morning sharp as I wanted one of the paintings myself.

The offices were bare having been ransacked over the weekend by we know not whom ? I hope the stuff went to a good home.

PAXboy
31st Aug 2016, 10:11
Apparently, HZ123, your visit was in the autumn of 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan-Air

Herod
31st Aug 2016, 11:58
AirUK was partly owned by British and Commonwealth Shipping and, not a lot of people realised it, the pilot's cap badge consisted of ships and lighthouses.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTo0huVbq5seQGpsx6_wLx3RLNgqq-4NHOl4nnKg68GybetVRkE

Not sure whether this link will work, but a google search of "AirUK cap badge will bring it up.

Wander00
31st Aug 2016, 13:59
Aah, British and Commonwealth - owned Clan Line and Union Castle I believe. My younger brother was a 5th Engineer on Clan McDonald then Windsor castle in the early 60s

Mooncrest
31st Aug 2016, 21:07
One thing I did always notice about the Dan-Air logo was that no two were exactly alike. Usually it was the red and white stripy flag (pennant ?) that bore the variation. Not all of them wore the cardinal initials either. Perhaps it was a deliberate policy to make each aircraft slightly individual. The British Midland 'BMA' logo was also subtlely different from one aircraft to the next.

Planemike
1st Sep 2016, 12:31
Exactly fifty years today since Danair Apache G-ATFZ was lost in an accident at Loxhill.....

Midland 331
1st Sep 2016, 17:49
One thing I did always notice about the Dan-Air logo was that no two were exactly alike. Usually it was the red and white stripy flag (pennant ?) that bore the variation. Not all of them wore the cardinal initials either. Perhaps it was a deliberate policy to make each aircraft slightly individual. The British Midland 'BMA' logo was also subtlely different from one aircraft to the next.

Most BMA aircraft of the classic livery period were painted by a chap called Ernie Robey in the hangar at Castle Don. Yes, there are notable differences. No electronic fonts in those days.

Ernie also painted the non-BMA wet-leased 707s. A skilful man.

VeeEffAre
8th Sep 2016, 22:45
Treadigraph is right - it was the 'house flag' of Davies and Newman shipping. I worked for Dan Air 1977-80, and was told they got into airlines by accident, having acquired a DC-3 for crew swaps for their ships...