PDA

View Full Version : Military King Air at Whyalla

LeadSled
29th Aug 2016, 05:22
Folks,
There is a military King Air that has been parked at Whyalla airport, some claim for over three months.
It is out in the open and doesn’t seem to be a goer. Does anyone know what the story is?
You would think it could be put into a hangar for protection? It must be a very valuable aircraft.
Tootle pip!!

junior.VH-LFA
29th Aug 2016, 06:29
You would think it could be put into a hangar for protection? It must be a very valuable aircraft.

The RAAF doesn't own it, Hawker Pacific does.

Car RAMROD
29th Aug 2016, 07:17
Maybe related?

No Cookies | The Courier Mail (http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/health/raaf-fleet-grounded-over-cancer-risk/news-story/055e62c831e5697dc6972d910d003d7b)

Sunfish
29th Aug 2016, 07:33
Jeebus, my whole aircraft is painted with strontium chromate primer!

TWOTBAGS
29th Aug 2016, 07:57
Two more parked in front of Hawkers BNE have not moved in months either.

megle2
29th Aug 2016, 09:46
About time this made Prune. All RAAF King Airs grounded for some time because of cancer fears.
Would of thought they would of told other operators / pilots of this perceived risk so they could at least consider it. But no didn't say a word to others except Beech. By the time word got out to a few it was all over and as far as I know there back in the air

onetrack
29th Aug 2016, 15:21
Been nice knowing you, Sunfish. Hope you weren't welding, brazing, or grinding stainless steel regularly, without a suitable mask. Same goes for spraying the SC primer. :eek: Hexavalent Chromium compounds are nasty stuff. :(

Dick Smith
29th Aug 2016, 23:04
Are these some of the military operated aircraft that have a full CASA approved ADSB dispensation to save the military money?

BuzzBox
29th Aug 2016, 23:08
Oh FFS. Here we go again...:rolleyes:

Going Nowhere
30th Aug 2016, 00:11
They have ADS-B fitted.

junior.VH-LFA
30th Aug 2016, 02:18
Are these some of the military operated aircraft that have a full CASA approved ADSB dispensation to save the military money?
Nice try Dick, but the RAAF King Air fleet has ADS-B fitted.

le Pingouin
30th Aug 2016, 02:24
How many times do you have to be told Dick? Do you think it's a conspiracy of silence and denial and you're hoping your subtle repetition will cause a deep throat to spill the beans?

Car RAMROD
31st Aug 2016, 00:27
So, I think what Dick is trying to say is that having ADSB in a military aircraft causes cancer?
No wonder they are getting dispensations!

holdingagain
31st Aug 2016, 02:24
The cause was something like the air con mixing bowl being incorrectly primed? This led to carcinogenic fears and the mass grounding. Seeing as we the tax payer paid to have it sorted out shouldn't they tell us what the outcome was.

Apparently you "pause" a fleet rather than "ground" a fleet as it would be too hard to get them back into the air and pausing doesn't arouse too much interest and keeps casa out of the loop as its not a airworthiness matter

I wonder if any of the RFDS pilots were informed, probably the same component on a 200

john_tullamarine
31st Aug 2016, 10:51
and keeps casa out of the loop as its not a airworthiness matter

Not so, apparently.

While CASA has no "official" interest in State aircraft, a mate tells me that the relevant Contract for the KingAir operation requires a drop copy of defect reports to go through the normal CASA defect notification process.

Dick Smith
31st Aug 2016, 11:21
So who is paying for this? The taxpayer I bet !

holdingagain
31st Aug 2016, 11:39
To ground the fleet where ever they happened to be ( ie Whyalla ) it must of been viewed very seriously. Surely worthy of warning / advising other operators.

BuzzBox
31st Aug 2016, 11:55
Surely worthy of warning / advising other operators.

The aircraft might be operated by the RAAF, but they are leased from Hawker Pacific, as posted previously. Hawker Pacific also has the contract to provide engineering and logistics support for the duration of the lease. Surely any necessary notifications to CASA, the manufacturer and other operators would be Hawker's responsibility, not the RAAF's.

Dick Smith
2nd Sep 2016, 07:46
Sounds like a serious cover up. Only reason why aircraft would be left in the open like this.

There must be a real answer. Hasn't appeared yet on this thread!

itsnotthatbloodyhard
2nd Sep 2016, 09:22
Sounds like a serious cover up. Only reason why aircraft would be left in the open like this.

There must be a real answer. Hasn't appeared yet on this thread!

All right, here you go then.

At huge expense to the taxpayer, they're having all the ADSB gear ripped out. After that, they'll be used to blockade Williamtown airspace, with the specific aim of forcing young families either out to sea or over the Barrington Tops.

john_tullamarine
2nd Sep 2016, 09:30
Sounds like a serious cover up.

From what I understand the military remains extremely sensitive to OHS matters .. this dates back to the F111 deseal/reseal program which caused the system quite some heartache. Over recent years, the military reaction to some matters which would be taken in the civil stride has been a tad active and, I suspect, the present matter is in the same vein.

Only reason why aircraft would be left in the open like this.

.. or there may have been no hangarage available. I am aware of previous KingAir matters where the aircraft concerned have been parked outside for extended periods so this is not necessarily anything out of the ordinary.

There must be a real answer.

Conversely, it may just be the normal process working its way through a particular problem ?

megle2
2nd Sep 2016, 09:39
I'd like to see a proper explanation of how it became so serious, what was done, what Beech said and how it was judged ok and all the aircraft returned to service.

2nd Sep 2016, 12:32
So the 350 being a "civilian aircraft" as against a "military aircraft," where does that leave all of the pilots who flew civilian Beech 350s?

Or did the 350s for this contract have additional corrosion protection added during construction?

Obidiah
2nd Sep 2016, 13:37
Wasn't it just left there at the end of the military exercise being conducted nearby until they needed it elsewhere.

Or perhaps its software had been hacked by the Chinese gumbit.

junior.VH-LFA
2nd Sep 2016, 15:40
Some of you blokes (Dick!) are so out of touch it's almost scary.

They're OWNED and MAINTAINED by Hawker Pac guys....

Dick Smith
2nd Sep 2016, 22:25
Yes. But surely there is a super seasprite type contract where we mug taxpayers pay even if the aircraft sit around doing nothing!

I wonder how long before the problem is solved and what are the pilots flying in the meantime ?

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
2nd Sep 2016, 23:21
No, Dick is right. The pilots (and any passengers) should be made to fly in them, irrespective of any trifling health concerns. Additionally, any aircraft currently on the ground or under maintenance, should be immediately returned to service and flown at 100%, diregarding inoperative engines, avionics, or airframe faults, because we taxpayers are paying for them. Damn military, who do they think they are?

Car RAMROD
2nd Sep 2016, 23:30
Or, what if there is some other problem with the aircraft completely unrelated to the strontium chromite which has resulted in it being left on the ground for an extended period?

Who knows!
Other than Dick of course. Anything to have a dig at the military. Haven't you put your hand up yet for the DAS job so that you can "save GA"?

BuzzBox
2nd Sep 2016, 23:39
Take a Bex and have a good lie down Dick. It really is quite amazing what can be found through a simple search on Google:

B300 King Air Fleet returns to service : Department of Defence (http://news.defence.gov.au/2016/08/02/b300-king-air-fleet-returns-to-service/)

RAAF King Airs return to the air | Australian Aviation (http://australianaviation.com.au/2016/08/raaf-king-airs-return-to-the-air/)

The aircraft were grounded on 30 June and recommenced flying on 4 August, so they were grounded for about 5 weeks, not 'over three months' as was claimed earlier.:rolleyes:

wishiwasupthere
2nd Sep 2016, 23:46
When has Dick ever let the truth get in the way of a good rant though?

Capn Bloggs
3rd Sep 2016, 01:42
Haven't you put your hand up yet for the DAS job so that you can "save GA"?
No! I've reserved that job for Leddie!!