PDA

View Full Version : 1910 Sommer biplane

Footless Halls
27th Aug 2016, 17:13
Anyone got any information on a Sommer biplane numbered 47 which was entered at the Reims air show in 1910?

Reason I am asking is this. Three of my great uncles lived in northern France before the first war. Uncle Edgar was a keen photographer and he has left us some 950 glass negatives - you can see a few of the here:
here (http://www.maryevans.com/newsletter/apr14/nl_apr_14_web.php). Our uncle Harold was a keen motorist and I am sure would have had contacts in the aviation world.

My brother has found several photos clearly taken at the Reims aviation meeting (1909 or 1910?) and one of these is of a biplane taxiing, some distance away, with the number 47 on its upper fin. It is a Farman type with the 'Longhorn' type of skids. Other diagnostics are that it has two rather than four undercarriage wheels and drooping V-type plan ailerons on the upper wing only. Comparing it with other photos it looks like a 1910 Sommer to me.

But who was flying number 47 at Reims - I can't find a reference on google to that? I see that Charles Rolls owned a Sommer, so was this one his? Any thoughts or links much appreciated. My brother has asked me not to post the photo at this stage as he is about to publish a book of uncle Edgar's photos.

megan
28th Aug 2016, 00:54
You might want to search through this to see if you can obtain information.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/search.aspx?ArchiveSearchForm%24search=Sommer&ArchiveSearchForm%24fromYear=1910&ArchiveSearchForm%24toYear=1910&x=38&y=12

Footless Halls
28th Aug 2016, 06:18
Thanks will check through. It turns out Raymond Sommer the racing driver was Sommer's son.

Footless Halls
28th Aug 2016, 13:29
As far as my brother and I can tell the entry numbers only went up to 46! More research needed....

Wander00
28th Aug 2016, 14:31
FH - no "13" perhaps..............

Footless Halls
28th Aug 2016, 17:46
Well the aircraft in the pic definitely has a 47 on its fin.