PDA

View Full Version : Stolen dog (UK)

herman the crab
26th Aug 2016, 23:08
I'm not usually one for joining social media campaigns but this is heartbreaking.

If you're on Facebook or live in the area please share the link and/or the story.

Last year I bought a tiny chihuahua puppy for my "dad" - he was overwhelmed - he had chihuahua's all his life - he was elderly and we had promised if anything happened to him - we would adopt him - yesterday that 88 year old man had his prize possession stolen from him - right in front of him! - his gardener had left the gate open - his beloved Winston had run out of the garden to the end of the drive - where a blue Subaru - with a man and woman inside stopped opened the door - swept him up - and drove off - today that same man - who fought in wars, taught in schools and is a grandparent to foster children is absolutely devastated - please help us to find Winston - please please share ours posts - boring as it seems - today that 88 year old man will get up and his best friend won't be there to share his biscuit with him! stolen 24.8.16!!!

https://www.facebook.com/FindWinstonSafe/?pnref=story

HTC

PingDit
27th Aug 2016, 00:00
So sorry to hear about that.
I've helped track down dogs which have been mainly lost through either being new to the family and in unfamiliar surroundings, or who have simply escaped from a lead. I've found these to be really useful. Good luck!

Dog Theft Action, dog theft, missing dogs, lost dogs, stolen dogs (http://www.dogtheftaction.com/news/index.asp?newsType=lostandstolen)

herman the crab
27th Aug 2016, 01:08
Thanks.

I have added the details on their behalf.

Giving my pup an extra hug tonight...

HTC

Pontius Navigator
27th Aug 2016, 08:37
While the dog could be anywhere in UK it is worth mentioning that it was stolen in Dorset.

sitigeltfel
27th Aug 2016, 09:38
Another one.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/274561/missing-dog-rosco-family-members-believe-traced-man-stole/ (https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/274561/missing-dog-rosco-family-members-believe-traced-man-stole/)

For some, it must be like losing a family member.

herman the crab
27th Aug 2016, 14:54
Update

Winston has been found by the police and is back home.

HTC

Shack37
27th Aug 2016, 21:32
Great, a happy ending.:D

Abraham Zapruder
28th Aug 2016, 04:11
Great, a happy ending.

A happier ending would be some unspeakable punishment being meted out to the dog-nappers concerned.

I could go into detail, but there are laws...

IBMJunkman
28th Aug 2016, 14:14
Does England have the pet chip system?

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Aug 2016, 14:45
Think it depends on the pet. Our snake and toads don't have chips.

Shack37
28th Aug 2016, 20:28
From 1 Apr 2016 dogs are required to be chipped.

and deep fried with cod;)

herman the crab
29th Aug 2016, 05:02
Even if they are chipped unless the dog is found or there is a suspicion that it is stolen there is unlikely to be an opportunity to scan the chip.

Also there is a problem here (in the USA) where people fail to maintain the chip information and when a dog is found the owners can not be traced because the contact information is outdated.

HTC

Bull at a Gate
29th Aug 2016, 08:51
Some years ago our small dog was dognapped. Neighbours saw a couple pick him up and drive away with him. We resigned ourselves to never seeing him again. 4 days later he was back on our doorstep. How I wish he could have talked so that we knew how he got away!

Stanwell
29th Aug 2016, 11:02
Some years ago, a neighbour had his chihuahua taken by a wedge tailed eagle.
Other neighbours weren't too distressed about it, though.
It was regarded as little more than a neurotic and nasty noise-maker.
Felt sorry for the neighbour, but.

oldchina
29th Aug 2016, 12:43
"Felt sorry for the neighbour, but ..."

Vietnamese like them too.

Planemike
29th Aug 2016, 13:01
A happier ending would be some unspeakable punishment being meted out to the dog-nappers concerned.

Not really, the important thing is the dog has been returned to its owner: that is the happy thing.

Don Coyote
30th Aug 2016, 18:23
Could do with some of those eagles round here. Why is it that dog owners find it totally acceptable to leave their dogs outside yapping constantly at silly stuff like butterflies or clouds?

Totally ruins any attempt to sit outside or have our windows open. Maybe bigger Eagles required to also carry away the antisocial owners!

reynoldsno1
1st Sep 2016, 03:51
Another happy ending ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA-rOU6vpEc

MoateAir
1st Sep 2016, 15:28
My family has 4 Chihuahua's and none of them have been chipped. They are an average size for the breed, but the vet has provided certificates stating that the dog is too small to have a chip implanted, so it may be that the dog involved in this saga has also been issued with an 'exemption'. This would probably make them more attractive to would be dog thieves unfortunately.

G-CPTN
1st Sep 2016, 16:24
There's not a lot of meat on a chihuahua.

Tarq57
2nd Sep 2016, 02:05
reynoldsno1, I've been following that story.

I was not expecting that dog to ever be seen again, and I guess Dion wasn't, either.

Remarkable story.