PDA

View Full Version : Nasty, noisy jets

Martin the Martian
25th Aug 2016, 09:24
Oh, give me strength.

Penzance mother hits out at RAF claiming low-flying aircraft endangered her distressed children | West Briton (http://www.westbriton.co.uk/penzance-mother-hits-out-at-raf-claiming-low-flying-aircraft-endangered-her-distressed-children/story-29650303-detail/story.html)

Not a lot of support in the comments.

Tankertrashnav
25th Aug 2016, 10:24
This was also shown on "RAF Banter and Bo***ks" page on Facebook. The comments on the West Briton site are restrained in comparison with the remarks made by a few old sweats on facebook!

Apparently she is a well-known local moaner.

Heathrow Harry
25th Aug 2016, 10:51
Not wishing to be judgemental but her youngest looks as if a good scare is exactly what he needs..........................

Wycombe
25th Aug 2016, 10:52
No doubt telling her that they were probably training to defend her freedom would not go down too well ;)

RedhillPhil
25th Aug 2016, 10:58
I heard those as they made several passes but looked in vain to see them. I presumed that they were a Hawk of two from Culdrose.

NutLoose
25th Aug 2016, 11:08
There are a couple of F-15's mentioned in the replies operating in the area, she is also noted as a serial complainer.
Perhaps if they now have her address from her complaint, frequent overflights of her residence could be arranged to acclimatise her children to the noise of fast jets.

Mechta
25th Aug 2016, 12:08
She needs to teach her sprogs the cycling equivalent of, 'Aviate, Navigate, Communicate'. Having said that, it would remove her particular line from the gene pool if she doesn't. :E

BEagle
25th Aug 2016, 12:25
The Kernow chip-wrapper in question must have a very lazy bunch of reporters - that photo of Green Party activist Mrs Thompson and her children was actually taken outside the local Co-op Penzance parents question ethics of product placing in local Co-operative shops | The Cornishman (http://www.cornishman.co.uk/penzance-parents-question-ethics-product-placing/story-28910087-detail/story.html) and crudely photoshopped onto a background library photo...

Note the disembodied hand on the younger child's shoulder :uhoh:

Hueymeister
25th Aug 2016, 13:13
Great..another NIMBY...Just what's needed..

Wander00
25th Aug 2016, 13:35
Aah, Jet Noise, the sound of Freedom

SWBKCB
25th Aug 2016, 15:29
two low-flying "bombers", which she believed were affiliated with the RAF

Loved this bit - insert your own punchline...

matkat
25th Aug 2016, 16:08
I am surprised the word 'compensation' was not mentioned.

Wander00
25th Aug 2016, 16:32
Well, if not affiliated to the RAF, let's hope they were not Russian

andytug
25th Aug 2016, 17:28
As I've pointed out to the kids more than once , if you can hear the jet it must be one of ours - if it was attacking you'd already be dead before you got chance to hear it!

RedhillPhil
25th Aug 2016, 18:07
I rather suspect that she's one of the tree hugging lentil eating sandal wearing brigade. I do know that she's a Green Party member.

NutLoose
25th Aug 2016, 18:14
She is, if you type her name and location, she tree hugs on a myriad of issues, all rather banal.

Wander00
25th Aug 2016, 18:17
So buy her a tree

bgbazz
25th Aug 2016, 18:34
Can't wait to hear whinge about the "stealth seagull" travelling at warp speed to scare her precious little creations with a low flypass.

Wycombe
25th Aug 2016, 18:52
In that part of Cornwall, the seagulls pack quite a punch! (especially if they get even the slightest wiff of yer pastie :)).

Their targetting and weapons delivery is pretty good aswell.

Tashengurt
25th Aug 2016, 19:08
Send 'em here! My four year old loves noisy planes although it causes consternation for the wife when he stand in the street bawling "Come on you Fokker!"

bgbazz
25th Aug 2016, 19:12
Very much looking foward to her rant then.

barnstormer1968
25th Aug 2016, 19:35
Judging by her rants and previous campaign I can only imagine the whole family would have dropped dead if they had witnessed the 'chocolate bomber' of Berlin airlift fame.

Union Jack
25th Aug 2016, 21:15
Apparently she is a well-known local moaner.

I believe that this is frequently a prelude to having children.

Jack

Warmtoast
25th Aug 2016, 22:41
Nothing new. RAF were plagued by low-flying and noise complaints as far back as 1951. My first experience of low flying noise complaints against the RAF was in Rhodesia.
In 1951 I was at 5 FTS, RAF Thornhill, S. Rhodesia and attach a photo of "Boggies Clock" decorated for Coronation Day 1953 in Main Street in the centre of Gwelo (now Gweru) the nearest town to RAF THornhill.
Mrs Jean Boggie lived in Gwelo for many years and was one of the town's most colourful characters. Her husband was a pioneer, and a member of the first Legislative Council. After his death in 1928, she erected this memorial clock tower, a familiar landmark to all who passed through the town. There was also a memorial panel inserted in the tower, commemorating the women, children and cattle and donkeys of the pioneers.
Mrs. Boggie was well known for her protests against the noise created by training aircraft from RAF Thornhill which flew over her farm. The noise, she claimed, prevented her hens from laying and her cows from being content! She was always remonstrating with the authorities and often made her views known through letters to the press. RAF Airmen driving past the clock, in a bus for example, were in the habit of making their feelings known about her protests by blowing a raspberry - but she still protested.
One of the first things one learnt on arrival at 5 FTS was that it was de rigueur to blow the raspberry as one passed the clock!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Thornhill/Gwelo%20-%20Mrs%20Boggies%20Clock_zpsmulqftkx.jpg

Its still there, but Livingstone Avenue is now Robert Mugabe Avenue.

..and of course there was this lady who tried it on a couple of years ago and lost:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8408090.stm

megan
26th Aug 2016, 02:36
Can't wait to hear whinge about the "stealth seagull" travelling at warp speed to scare her precious little creations with a low flypass.Our one week old grand daughter was "bombed" by a stealth seagull recently, fair square on the forehead. Mum (a pilot) got a bit cranky, but I told her to consider it a christening and acceptance into the world of aviation.

Bladdered
26th Aug 2016, 11:10
Aviation Photography - Where to go (http://www.targeta.co.uk/wheretogo.htm)

Pi55 off Biggles - That didn't work either :D

Non Emmett
26th Aug 2016, 12:35
I heard jet noise on the day in question whilst I was in Truro but did not actually see the F-15s though local aviation enthusiasts reported their presence there, Penzance area and later over Bodmin Moor. Usual reaction I hear is to say MORE as we get relatively little in the far southwest these days. The jet noise was unobtrusive and I thought might well be Hawks from Culdrose.

Culdrose is on summer leave for the whole of August with relatively little flying taking place.

Brize A400 Atlas aircraft have been making welcome visits most days this week to Newquay for overshoots and a C-17 on one day this week. Welcome !!

Most whiners have lived down here for a short time and are not typical of the population at large

Wander00
26th Aug 2016, 14:47
They were happy enough when the military lifted them out of their drifting beach toys and stopped them from drowning

tarantonight
26th Aug 2016, 19:44
What a stupid stupid woman. For God's Sake.........man up. Words - almost - fail me.

She probably still has nightmares about the Childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Or Chucky. Having said that, Chucky was a bit spooky.........

NutLoose
26th Aug 2016, 20:18
Damn you tarantonight, I just got over my Chitty Chitty Bang Bang phobia :p

Herod
26th Aug 2016, 20:35
We had a regular complainer on one base. She would complain that the crews were flying so they could look into her bathroom window while she was taking a bath. Fixed-wing, not rotary!!!

Hempy
27th Aug 2016, 04:06
NSFW - Language

Da7rjHT61uk

Fast jet flying program for Salt Ash Air Weapons Range (http://www.newsofthearea.com.au/fast-jet-flying-program-salt-ash-air-weapons-range-14486)

B Fraser
27th Aug 2016, 06:50
I have a serious complaint concerning the amount of low flying in the Quantock hills. There simply isn't enough. I was entertained a few weeks back by a brace of F-15's however there has been precious little since then. Come on chaps, you must try harder as our US chums are shouldering the burden. Can you please send over some Typhoons at Mach 0.9999 or at the very least, a Hercules with the ramp down. If the situation does not improve then I will submit a stiff letter to the parish magazine.

Thanks in advance.

:ok:

Stanwell
27th Aug 2016, 07:09
Thanks for that link, Hempy.
Such eloquence.
Is he running for a seat in parliament?

Mind you, when the occasional Connie or Stratocruiser would come over our place, rattling the crockery and
shaking the windows, mother wold have her nose out of joint, claiming it was putting the chooks off the lay.

ACW599
27th Aug 2016, 09:01
:ok:What B Fraser said, above. Nasty noisy jets please feel free to visit 52°43’42” W002°59’48” as fast and low as possible.

(and yes, I know we're in Shawbury's DUA in LFA 9, but Ops are on 376.67 and I'm sure they'd agree to a quick practice FRA :ok: ).

Wander00
27th Aug 2016, 09:16
Southern Vendee - this week - AlphaJets, Rafale and several light aircraft - great

B Fraser
27th Aug 2016, 09:47
I forgot to mention that the au pair often sunbathes topless in my garden. Grid reference on request.

:ok:

Tankertrashnav
27th Aug 2016, 09:58
I did my PPL at Lands End not far from where this woman and her little darlings live. One day on return from 45 minutes circuit bashing with my instructor we were met with the news that the club had received a complaint from a lady who had been sunbathing in her underwear and the same aircraft had flown directly over her garden several times.

As I said to my instructor, "proves that my circuit flying is getting pretty accurate!"

Oh, and we never saw the woman :( I wonder if it was her.

The Old Fat One
27th Aug 2016, 10:03
Lady craves attention. Don't give it.

Close thread or don't post in it.

Tankertrashnav
27th Aug 2016, 10:05
You just did, TOFO ;)

tartare
28th Aug 2016, 01:03
Nasty noisy jets in Sydney this morning.
Three in fact - Hawks overflying Govt House parade... boy is there with the cadets.
Outstanding.
Checked the RAAF page and at the bottom of the announcement about the flypast is this:

Noise management and environment impact are vital considerations in the planning and conduct of military flying. Air Force appreciates the support it receives from the Sydney community during this flying activity.

We live in a sad time when air forces have to acknowledge noise management and environment impact.

Why didn't you come back via the North Shore, lads?!
I was waiting!

Royalistflyer
28th Aug 2016, 09:16
Funny, the report seems to have disappeared from on line after just three days

BEagle
28th Aug 2016, 10:17
The paper in question has released another article:

This Penzance woman complained that low flying jets scared her children - and social media exploded | West Briton (http://www.westbriton.co.uk/this-penzance-woman-complained-that-low-flying-jets-scared-her-children-and-social-media-exploded/story-29655505-detail/story.html)

langleybaston
28th Aug 2016, 10:35
" ................. they flew so low we could see the underside of them .........!"

I must have good eyes, I can see the "underside" of the moon.

Get a life.

Royalistflyer
28th Aug 2016, 10:47
Being a sixties generation Air Forcer, I was born at the outset of WW II - I can remember running outside when flights of Spitfires would come over our house at chimney height. We lived near Guildford and my elder brother explained they were trying to get between enemy bombers and home. The sound of all those Merlins always excited me - I loved them.

cattletruck
28th Aug 2016, 11:00
One of the best things I remember as a child when visiting my uncle were the pilots of the nearby training base that would buzz us as we jumped up and down on the roof of his house. We even managed to draw the attention of one F-104 Strarfighter - the flypast was b@@@dy friggen awesome!!!!

Expatrick
28th Aug 2016, 18:10
My first experience of fast jets was at Farnborough, circa 1963, aged 9. Yes, my ears hurt, I spun round & fell over trying to keep up with the flypasts - it was great, a fantastic experience.

mopardave
28th Aug 2016, 22:30
Don't suppose her sons will be interested in a career in the forces then? She needs to get some more action in her life!!!!!

Apologies for lowering the tone!

Rhino power
29th Aug 2016, 14:59
How odd, the second story in the West Briton, which BEagle provided a link to, has also disappeared...

-RP

G0ULI
31st Aug 2016, 03:14
Had a couple of jets ripping at the edge of the sound barrier over Norwich yesterday. Fantastic watching the fast jets trying to manoeuvre to get a firing solution. One went knife edge at probably thirty thousand feet and appeared to plummet to less than half that height while pulling tighter and tighter to get nose on to the higher flying companion, who maintained altitude while turning not so tightly. Don't know whether that was the plan, but it made for fascinating viewing. The best days are when there are some decent cumulus clouds about and the jets are dogfighting around the cloud heads. Fortyfive minutes of the sound of freedom before they have to return to base for tea and bickies and a top up.

Tankertrashnav
31st Aug 2016, 10:03
Fortyfive minutes of the sound of freedom before they have to return to base for tea and bickies and a top up.

Spent many an hour on towline six, as it was then called, a north-south refuelling racetrack pattern just off the Norfolk/Suffolk coast. In those days it was mainly Coltishall and Wattisham Lightnings, so their visits to the end of our hoses between practice intercepts were frequent, as you can imagine. Delayed the pilots' intake of tea and bickies for a while, anyway.

MACH2NUMBER
31st Aug 2016, 21:21
It appears the West Briton news cannot cope with all the negative inputs and have taken the article down.

bgbazz
1st Sep 2016, 07:22
You guys would enjoy living where I do...smack in the middle of the fast jets playground!

MIGs, F15s, F16s and a few others...all screaming around, sometimes for 10 or more hours on most days.

They seem to have only one rule...don't hit the ground! Everything else is open slather!

The Oberon
1st Sep 2016, 13:20
I think the good Mrs. Thompson would have shown her "undersides" at Scampton today, when the Typhoon displayed at around 14.00. Quite superb, and free!

Mind you, the Spitfire was better about an hour earlier.;)

sitigeltfel
2nd Sep 2016, 18:56
Four Hog drivers grounded after buzzing Bank of America stadium...

Moody AFB: Pilots involved in low-altitude flyover restricted from flight duties - Story | WJZY (http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/196968319-story)

:eek: :ok:

pontifex
2nd Sep 2016, 19:20
My parents told me that they had a low flying aircraft take their chimney pot off. But it was a Handley Page Heracles and they did live next to Croydon Airport.

Shack37
5th Sep 2016, 14:45
Come on guys, isnīt it time we just ignored these pillocks instead of giving them the attention they seek?:rolleyes:

ShyTorque
5th Sep 2016, 16:16
Come on guys, isnīt it time we just ignored these pillocks instead of giving them the attention they seek?:rolleyes:
That's no way to treat the RAF....

albatross
5th Sep 2016, 17:40
Then there is this...humm.. when I was in Somalia a lot of very bad people drove around in trucks..are the truaumatized frozen in panic everytime someone drives by in an SUV?
Also aside transit to the airport the Airshow takes place over Lake Ontario.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/programs/metromorning/air-show-trauma-1.3747293

Shack37
6th Sep 2016, 09:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack37 http://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/583454-nasty-noisy-jets-3.html#post9497676)

That's no way to treat the RAF....
:D:D:D:ok: