PDA

View Full Version : Propane Trucks Gone Wrong!

OldCessna
22nd Aug 2016, 23:05
Apologies if it has been posted before.

Why not to follow a propane truck gone wrong and don't be a rubbernecker if the defecation hits the rotary!

Now you know why they don't want them going through tunnels?

Watch closely after the crash then first explosion the driver exits and runs across the highway to the left!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FG1LGKieTxY?rel=0

Hydromet
23rd Aug 2016, 00:44
Saw a truck loaded with pressure packs of cooking oil go up. Similar effect, but sound effects like a company strength firefight rather than artillery.

onetrack
23rd Aug 2016, 01:35
You just have to wonder how a truck driver got his licence, when he can't even see a bus directly in front of him, on a freeway.

AtomKraft
23rd Aug 2016, 06:49
Pretty impressive video. I thought these bottles had heat sensitive safety devices in them to prevent explosions.

But clearly not!

Fareastdriver
23rd Aug 2016, 07:42
Twenty years ago in China you would have your gas bottles for your cooker delivered. The person delivering them would be riding a motor bike with a bottle strapped on rather side.

They banned it after a few fiery spills.

sitigeltfel
23rd Aug 2016, 08:23
Pretty impressive video. I thought these bottles had heat sensitive safety devices in them to prevent explosions.

But clearly not!

The collars round the outlet valves should prevent them being snapped off in an impact. Possibly some of them were missing or were not strong enough.

tartare
23rd Aug 2016, 08:29
One also has to question the wisdom of the video-er.
Throughout almost the entire clip, right hand frame, there is a propane tank lying on the ground pointed more or less straight at him, with flames licking from the opposite end, presumably where the valve is.
Wouldn't like to think what would happen if that bad boy suddenly cut loose and did it's best imitation of a propane propelled rocket heading in his direction.... :uhoh:

G-CPTN
23rd Aug 2016, 11:46
What initiated the fire?

Was the driver smoking?

Back in 2007, a welder driving a Ford Transit van carrying an acetylene cylinder exploded (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6694385.stm) as he was driving it shortly after he had stopped at a local shop.
HSE subsequently banned the company from carrying cylinders in a closed van.

Rwy in Sight
23rd Aug 2016, 13:32
When I was working for an industrial gases company around the beginning of the century it was a forbidden to carry cylinders in a van - only pick ups could be used to move the cylinders around.

onetrack
23rd Aug 2016, 14:57
Gas cylinders inside enclosed body vehicles such as vans, are a definite no-no in Australia, for several years now, after a number of highly destructive explosions - at least a couple of which, resulted in fatalities.
If you must carry gas bottles in an enclosed body vehicle, it is recommended that you carry them in a walled-off compartment that is open to the outside air.

LP Gas bottles have a fusible plug which usually vents all the gas in a rapid manner that avoids explosion of the cylinder.
However, the way the cylinders are exploding in the video, throwing shrapnel for many dozens of metres, indicates that the fusible plugs are not performing their designated job properly.

Above The Clouds
23rd Aug 2016, 18:09
It looks like that took place in Russia, were it goes without saying the driver was on the phone driving like a [email protected]@king idiot and most certainly would have been smoking, you see all the time.

Pretty good video though.

llondel
23rd Aug 2016, 20:32
My wife was on the A14/M11 junction once, in a traffic jam (nothing unusual about that) and suddenly there was a big WHOOMPH from just out of sight round the corner. Turns out a truck carrying gas cylinders had tipped over going round the tight curve (hence the jam), caught fire and a cylinder decided to explode.

ian16th
23rd Aug 2016, 21:00
Wasn't there a case in Norwich, some years ago, with fatalities and severe damage to buildings?

Windy Militant
23rd Aug 2016, 23:37
Years ago a mate had a set of pictures from a test facility at Spadeadam where they had either manufactured a cylinder without the fusable plug or disabled it.
The thing took off like a Blue Streak.
I don't know what frame rate they were shooting at but it was out of shot in three frames.

EEngr
24th Aug 2016, 00:09
Didn't the bus change lanes 4>3>2 in front of the truck?
Yes. Straight sweep across the freeway. I suspect the bus almost missed his exit, swung across lanes and found himself blocked by a vehicle in lane 1. So he hit the brakes. The truck driver wasn't expecting someone to stop in the middle of the freeway.

onetrack
24th Aug 2016, 03:41
The truck driver wasn't expecting someone to stop in the middle of the freeway. And therein lies the precise problem. A truck driver who is not prepared for rapid alterations to fluid traffic conditions.
In Australia, the correct driving attitude is called "Defensive Driving".
DD training essentially means you are prepared and alert to every other driver doing the wrong or unexpected thing.
Way too many truck drivers have a "pedal-to-the-metal" mentality, they will not ease up on the loud pedal until it is far too late - generally with catastrophic results due to the amount of mass they are aiming.
I specifically say aim, because most drive like they're just aiming a missile.

TWT
24th Aug 2016, 03:55
Indeed onetrack.I had a 34-wheeled 50 ton behemoth come up behind me and he stayed less than 3 feet from my rear bumper only 2 days ago.My crime ? Wanting to stick to the speed limit.I moved over when possible and he took off like a scalded cat,weaving in and out of traffic on a freeway.But they're idiots,they weren't smart enough to understand basic physics at school.

Hydromet
24th Aug 2016, 08:58
But they're idiots,they weren't smart enough to understand basic physics at school.If they were smart enough to do anything else, they wouldn't be truck drivers.

Rob Courtney
24th Aug 2016, 10:19
Gas cylinders inside enclosed body vehicles such as vans, are a definite no-no in Australia, for several years now, after a number of highly destructive explosions - at least a couple of which, resulted in fatalities.
If you must carry gas bottles in an enclosed body vehicle, it is recommended that you carry them in a walled-off compartment that is open to the outside air.

Its the same here, re the incident with the transit van, if I recall correctly the cylinders were being carried with the equipment attached. This is really dangerous as what normally happens is people turn off the welding torch but not the cylinder, if there is a leak on the torch, hose or regulator you then get a build up of explosive gasses in the van. The cylinders involved were Oxygen and Acetylene. Acetylene cylinders are very dangerous when involved in fires and will explode if heated enough, that's why the fire brigade throw a 200m cordon around any cylinder involved in a fire until its cool. I could go on and explain why they explode but its probably too much unnecessary information :ok:

Rwy in Sight
24th Aug 2016, 10:24
Technically when one uses Oxygen - Acetylene torch two one-way valves are included with (if changed frequently) it can be quite safe.

Rob Courtney
24th Aug 2016, 10:44
Technically when one uses Oxygen - Acetylene torch two one-way valves are included with (if changed frequently) it can be quite safe.

They are called non return valves and are fitted at the torch end of the system. They work by stopping Oxygen seeping back into the Acetylene hose and visa versa. Theres also a flashback arr ester fitted between the regulator and the hose just in case.

You cannot store acetylene under pressure as it is highly unstable, you dissolve it in Acetone which is then held in lime silicate in the cylinder (think of a sponge but it looks like a block of concrete) When the cylinder valve is opened its like opening the top of a lemonade bottle, small qty s of gas are released in a controlled way. Now imagine shaking up the bottle. Large qty s of gas are released, the bottle comes under a higher pressure and if you open the top it will spurt out. Thats what happens when you head an acetylene cylinder except instead of waiting for the top to open it will explode.

Propane is different, if it leaks it can form an explosive cloud thats is just waiting for an ignition source, because its heavier than air it will just sit in any drain or low lying ground or inspection pit etc waiting for a spark. If involved in a fire one cylinder will set another off and you can expect them to fly around. I wouldn't have stayed around to film that fire I would have been long gone.

candoo
24th Aug 2016, 13:24
Reminds me of a trouser changing incident about 30 years ago.

Working in a research laboratory for high temperature materials part of which involved heat treating metals in a hydrogen atmosphere for reduction purposes (the hydrogen is safely burned off when exiting furnace). Showed up for work one morning and carried out routine check on furnaces running at about 1600C, one required an increase in the hydrogen flow so adjusted valve…….. it broke off.

In the space of less than a second I managed to evaluate three responses.

Run like f*ck.
Find bottle neck spanner and shut down cylinder.
Blow out all the flames in the vicinity of which there were probably a dozen (I know, I know).

I started to execute option one, actually got through the door of the lab, when something inside told me to execute plan 2, the flow of hydrogen sounded like a high power air pressure nozzle, I can honestly say I cannot remember being more frightened. Option two was a success - probably only took a few seconds for the whole episode but left me extremely wary working around gas cylinders and high temperature furnace.

On reflection my job was safer than the guy who used to test the strength of hydrofluoric acid by dipping his finger in it and dabbing it on his tongue, really.