PDA

View Full Version : A pal has just got got. PConverter. Nasty.

Loose rivets
22nd Aug 2016, 17:27
I'm not entirely sure how to get rid of it. He runs BullGuard or some such for which he has paid. That was no help at all.

It takes over FireFox's Home Page and repeated attempts to set to Google are undone. I can't find where the source of the problem lies.

I'll try Malwarebytes etc., tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had experienced this nasty intrusion and if doing that is enough.

andytug
22nd Aug 2016, 17:35
Antivirus is no good for these, you need anti-malware software like Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy etc. Have seen similar things on a badly infected laptop - didn't have the luxury of a backup and nuke back to factory settings but Malwarebytes got rid of most of them, plus a bit of manual removal!

Loose rivets
22nd Aug 2016, 22:24
What I'd like to know is where this bit of mischief is hidden. But then, if it were that easy there'd be no need for Malware defence.

My pal lets his grand kids use the computer. So, I'm waiting for the day it disappears out of the window and onto the compost heap. As a keen gardener, he's an expert on compost heaps but but somewhat lacking in his knowledge of computers. :p

I'll run M-B tomorrow, but everything takes a long time on his Vista driven Celleron.

le Pingouin
23rd Aug 2016, 04:56
Following this guide should do the job:

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/pconverter-b3-toolbar-removal/

Time to start looking for a new OS I'm afraid with Vista support ending in April.

KelvinD
23rd Aug 2016, 06:54
One of the best tools for the job is Hijackthis. Available on the web for free, this tool looks at all the stuff on your PC and will tell you which bits are needed and which are suspicious and can be deleted. Before that though, here's the Mozilla answer:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1102884

Loose rivets
23rd Aug 2016, 10:19
Vista? Yes, I think I've persuaded him to get a used computer from somewhere. I'll put an SSD into it if he's willing to shell out for it.

He brought it round this AM.

I've looked at the links thanks and was worried when I didn't find anything in Add-ons. (I was also worried to note in there that part of his Bull-**** had been disabled by FF. ) But no sign of PConverter or indeed, Myway.

Nothing in Programs installed this year that was not known. (or earlier come to that.)

A new Malwarebytes and update produced nothing but "probably unwanted" files. It was about now I noticed he'd not got Ccleaner.

I'd already zapped the cookies in FF, but now I ran a new version of Ccleaner - reset the home page, and so far, so good. Why didn't I do that yesterday? I was always on at him to keep that going. :ugh:

Mind you, I'm feeling that it's a bit too easy given how much there is posted about it. But I often cause problems by going for a complex answer when an easy one will do.

Now to find out what Bull thingy has to say for themselves.

I'll post an update if all is not well with simple cookie removal.

Thanks again.

Loose rivets
23rd Aug 2016, 12:51
As I was showing him how to save wanted cookies, we noticed 'myway' was back in the list.

Thus far, it hadn't manifested itself again, but the fact is, it seems intent on doing so.

andytug
23rd Aug 2016, 19:44
If it's Vista, disable indexing, it's like putting a turbocharger on it.
Run > Services.exe, find Windows Search, right click, stop and set to disabled.

Loose rivets
24th Aug 2016, 10:48
Thanks. I'll try it .

I'm fairly sure I can nudge him up to a W7 machine, but he's far more interested in his allotment, so his bursts of mastering such technology are rare.

parabellum
24th Aug 2016, 23:21
Myway is also a website and runs a mail server, used it for years without any kind of problems. Just for info.

Loose rivets
26th Aug 2016, 09:32
Ah, that's a surprise. The problem seemed tightly tied to that. I'll probe more deeply when I can but pal hasn't been in touch since - probably because it's good lotty weather.

For thems afar: a lotty is an Allotment, a patch of fertile ground, often provided by the local council, where sheds are built for the purpose of carrying out strange activities. Some even have a couch, candles and curtains. In spare moments, the allotment holders even grow a few things.