PDA

View Full Version : Fairbanks to Arctic Circle and back in a day

nivsy
22nd Aug 2016, 13:11
The current Mrs Nivsy tells me that I need to sort out a trip ex Fairbanks next summer preferably within a tight budget for the day, (as part of an Alaska bash) that will take us over the arctic circle and back. I see on line that there are a few tour options and quite a number, frankly with shocking reviews!

So has any PPRUNers done this trip, what's the good bad and plane daft?

Any advice would be useful.....

thanks,

SASless
22nd Aug 2016, 13:30
Having worked in that part of Paradise.....there is nothing magic in the Artic Circle thing as One cannot tell the difference one side or the other when crossing it.

Taking a tour or flight that crosses the Circle and takes you up to the Artic Ocean shoreline might be interesting and see the ANWAR, an abandoned DEW Line Radar Base, or a remote village like Kaktovik (Barter Island) might be interesting.

That money might be better spent on a sight seeing flight around Denali or some other mountainous areas.

The current Mrs Nivsy tells me that I need to sort out a trip ex Fairbanks next summer preferably within a tight budget for the day, (as part of an Alaska bash) that will take us over the arctic circle and back. I see on line that there are a few tour options and quite a number, frankly with shocking reviews!

So has any PPRUNers done this trip, what's the good bad and plane daft?

Any advice would be useful.....

thanks,

nivsy
22nd Aug 2016, 14:29
Thanks, was actually thinking of a couple of days in Denali,train from ANC, I can see the advantages of such a flight trip from there. I wanna see Fairbanks, if only to see some of the stored aircraft there? Plenty of pistons still?

lomapaseo
22nd Aug 2016, 14:38
Far more interesting to view Detroit from low in the air

SASless
22nd Aug 2016, 14:59
Packing a Picnic Lunch and doing a landing out somewhere would be good value or perhaps some Salmon or Trout Fishing by means of a floatplane is good fun too.

Thanks, was actually thinking of a couple of days in Denali,train from ANC, I can see the advantages of such a flight trip from there. I wanna see Fairbanks, if only to see some of the stored aircraft there? Plenty of pistons still?

Bushfiva
22nd Aug 2016, 15:09
Hiked through Denali and flown from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay. Also did the Haul Road. It's... pretty mediocre, really. Denali is great if you have time enough to catch good weather. Prudhoe is a company town. Barrow is interesting if you have the time to understand why it exists, and who gets the very few jobs. We went there for the world's most northerly Mexican restaurant. YMMV. Water, waste disposal, restaurant and supermarket were owned by the same person when I was there.

fleigle
22nd Aug 2016, 15:23
Train from Fairbanks (or Anchorage) to Denali used to be a very slow affair.
Many moons ago I caught the train at Denali heading to Anchorage, if I remember correctly it took about 7 hours.
f

Fareastdriver
22nd Aug 2016, 15:33
I just had a look at the Fairbanks boneyard on Google Earth. It has a few starting with a Dakota, Packet plus a few C97s.

finfly1
22nd Aug 2016, 17:30
One once flew Continental from Newark to Seattle to Anchorage and return for about $494. One also wanted to fly across the Arctic Circle to Nome, but the round trip fare to do so from Anchorage turned out to be considerably more than the cost to get there, particularly on a per mile basis.

One's cheap gene kicked in and therefore one did not make the trip.

Regretted it for a long time, until once, years later, vicious headwinds forced one's SAS flight to north of lat 70. Saw north end of Greenland for first and likely the last time.

llondel
22nd Aug 2016, 20:28
That's how I got to visit the Arctic Circle too, unusual northerly route due to winds.

treadigraph
22nd Aug 2016, 20:34
plus a few C97s.

DC-6s/C-118s I think, presumably spares sources for the few remaining work horses. Some DC-4s at the other end. Are they all still there? Sad to see such fine aeroplanes awaiting the scrapper...

obgraham
23rd Aug 2016, 03:01
Are you talking fly or drive?

You can drive up the Haul Road (Dalton Highway) to the Arctic Circle welcome sign. It's just about 200 miles from Fairbanks. Gravel road, relatively slow slog -- about 6 hours each way. But in the summer the sun is out almost all night, so it could be done both ways in one day.

I've driven beyond there, to Wiseman, after which the weather turned rotten on me. It's a fantastic drive -- among the most scenic in the world IMHO. Apparently others here do not agree.

If you want to fly, I'm sure any bush outfit in Fairbanks will do it with you.

SASless
23rd Aug 2016, 03:22
The novelty of driving those roads wore off in the first few weeks....but that was after driving on gravel all the way up the Alcan to start the trip north.

Beautiful country for sure.....the Brooks Range is a lot of wilderness for sure.

chuks
23rd Aug 2016, 13:23
Given that you are in Europe, why not go above the Arctic Circle in Finland? It lies just north of Rovaniemi, which can be reached by train. If you go further north by bus you get to a beautiful national park at Lake Inari, and if you go in early autumn you don't have to deal with all the voracious insects.

The Northern Lights are not to be missed then.

lederhosen
23rd Aug 2016, 14:52
There are some direct flights in winter to Kittila (skiing and car testing) and Ivalo in arctic Finland (Father Xmas?). No doubt there are plenty that connect via Helsinki. In terms of unlikely recommendations I can recommend Hot Licks in Fairbanks for ice cream.

Fareastdriver
23rd Aug 2016, 16:14
Forget Finland; go to Tromso in Norway. It's not called the Paris of the North for nothing. Go there in the summer unless you want to see the Northern Lights.

In Tromso all the men do is fish and make love. In the winter it is too cold for fishing.

nomorecatering
25th Aug 2016, 04:57
http://akgeo.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Dalton-Highway-2016.pdf

On my bucket list.

SASless
26th Aug 2016, 01:33
if you drive up the AlCan Highway....consider the Cassiar Cutoff alternate route for a change....much less traffic and very interesting drive.

The AlCan is pretty much all pavement now....quite unlike the first time I drove it.

The trip South later that Year it was snow covered the whole way with temps down to Minus 25 F. It made for an interesting trip....in a two wheel drive pickup and sleeping the back of the truck at night.

MadsDad
26th Aug 2016, 15:45
Bit of a side trip but I recall driving from Edmonton to Jasper (I remember it as being on Highway 2 but it seems it wasn't) and driving past a road sign for a side road off to the right, reading "Alaska (Scenic Route)".

One regret of my life is not having taken a picture of that sign.

SASless
26th Aug 2016, 16:44
Prince George to Jasper by Helicopter in the late Fall is a beautiful trip....if you can see anything for the rain, fog, and mist. When you break out at Jasper...you are through the Rockies.

I have made several Ferry Trips with Helicopters from Alaska south to the Lower Forty Eight and enjoyed everyone despite some very challenging weather on some.

Read up on the "Trench" which is a part of the traditional routes for such flights.

http://alaska322mx.********.com/2008/11/trench.html

The Trench is a "One Way" affair....no fuel available and long enough that it takes a Ferry Tank of Fuel in the Cabin (All my flights were in Hughes 500D's).

Once you commit to the Trench you have to continue to the end....Head Winds and Weather have to be carefully assessed before you go.