PDA

View Full Version : Series 20 Lear Power Management Question

balaton
22nd Aug 2016, 09:10
Hi Dear Guys,

Never flownan aircraft with those historical “pure” jet engines. After an interestingdebate with a friend and becoming curious: how was the power management ofthose famous GE Cj610 engines?
Did you use EPR tables for takeoff powersetting? How did you set climb power?
How did the parameters change during climb(EGT/EPR/RPM/Throttle setting)?

Rules of thumbs,ever day practices?

Lookingforward to your reply,

cheers,

Tamas

Bus Junkie
23rd Aug 2016, 11:22
EPR for takeoff, EGT for climb (680? its been 30 years since that acft), "gear up, declare min fuel"

HEMS driver
4th Sep 2016, 02:49
Yep, what Bus Junkie said, and taxi on one engine until you absolutely have to start the second engine. Delay your descent until the last possible minute.

My best rate of climb in a 24E was 12,000 fpm out of SFO. Good times.

CL300
7th Sep 2016, 16:27
http://www.mrmoo.net/pilot/LR25/LR25%20OperatingHandbook.pdf

604driver
7th Sep 2016, 20:44
3 Ranges.... Just under an hour, about an hour, just over an hour!!! :-)

balaton
22nd Sep 2016, 10:00
Many thanks guys. In the meantime I went through some videos and saw that for T/O the power was referenced to EPR (T/O EPR was preset by an "index pointer"). During climb, power was set most probably using EGT.
Thank you CL300 for the link!!!
If possible keep those retro stories coming...

Cheers,

tamas

HEMS driver
22nd Sep 2016, 13:04
During my initial type rating training at FlightSafety Tucson, Arizona, I rented a Lear 24B for the flight training portion. We were doing touch and goes on Tucson's long runway (11L).

On the second takeoff just after V1, the right engine rolled back to idle (fuel control failure). We took off on the left engine and climbed out at 1,500 fpm and returned for landing. The tower noticed that our climb was not as robust as usual and asked if everything was ok. This was in July when the temps there are in the high 90s.