PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way to convert ICAO to EASA in Europe

Warlock1
22nd Aug 2016, 09:05
Hi all
I have been away from aviation for a while, so basically I got no clue about this.
A friend of mine is looking in to converting her Canadian CPL. She lives in Germany but costs are way too expensive.
Can anyone recommend any place in Europe that she can do this conversion in a budget?
Searched the forum for some recommendations but the only thing that came up was the Czech flight school with bad reviews.
Thanks a bunch

Pole sana
23rd Aug 2016, 13:51
I can sound like repeating a lot.... but try Hungary, Pannon Air.
I am doing my PPL and is the cheapest I found after a detailed search, so far I am happy with how is it.

Warlock1
24th Aug 2016, 06:23
I will check it out.
Thanks a lot buddy

spaflyer
24th Aug 2016, 10:57
Did mine few weeks ago from FAA to EASA,

Does she have ATPL ground? Here in Ireland cost is around 8000 euros, for:
5 hours and checkride for CPL
and 15 (5 real, 10 sim for an IFR)

If you need more info let me know.

FoxtrottSierra
11th Sep 2016, 19:55
Contact FTA Global in Brigton, they will sum up what training you need exactly ! And they are very professional.
I am doing my Conversion training at Fly In Spain in Jerez, which gets you the UK CAA licence, too !
They do not provide too much detail when you request info, but sure get you there where you need to go.

alexandrantonia
27th Sep 2016, 12:57
South Sweden School of Aeronautics. I did my FAA SE/IR -> EASA ME/IR there and it ended up costing around 6250€. There was a German girl there at the same time converting her FAA CPL & ME/IR to EASA and she was done in a week and a half. I can't imagine her course costing more than 4000€, but she was working as an instructor and therefore much more current than myself. The school requests a reduced course based on a foreign licence from the aviation agency Transportstyrelsen and that is the minimum hours you need to do. They try and get everything done in the sim, to recude costs for the student. Sim was 900 SEK / 94 €/h, single (AC11) 2100 SEK / 220 €/h, multi 3900 SEK / 410 €/h. They were very flexible with everything. They offer accommodation (nothing fancy) for 100 SEK/night and give priority to those coming from afar and staying at the school.

Bare Plane
27th Sep 2016, 13:10
Is she in a hurry? I converted my US FAA CPL to EASA PPL over a couple of months time with a flying club in Bavaria. C-172 rental rates were very reasonable and the club was a good group of locals. Instructor costs were minimal. I didn't keep tract of costs but I doubt it was over 2000€, including annual club fees. Lots of flying clubs in Germany. She should check her area. Basic German is helpful.

andyair72
27th Feb 2017, 16:34
Anyone knows if it is true that it is easy to convert an australian CPL IFR into an EASA PPL IFR? do I need to redo all the exams? True that to convert it in england would be easier than rest of EU countries? what about from Australian CPL to UK/EASA PPL IFR? thanks for any advise

faaalltheway
24th Nov 2017, 23:14
Hi spaflyer, please send school name.
Looking to convert FAA CPL ME IR to EASA....

Cheers

rudestuff
25th Nov 2017, 06:42
... You'll need to change that name then

Transsonic2000
25th Nov 2017, 15:51
Well, it depends what level of license you are aiming for. Converting to an EASA PPL (no matter what level of ICAO license you're holding) is not a big deal and can be done at minimum cost and time. Usually a 2 hr flight in preparation for the check-ride (depends on the flight school how much money they want to squeeze out of you) and the passing of two theoretical knowledge exams is required, airlaw and human performance (preparation can be done via home study). Cost estimate around 2000-3000€ (I spend around 1000€).

If it's about converting from ICAO CPL/IR to EASA CPL/IR with ATPL theory credit one must take and pass all 14 EASA ATP exams, which is quite an extensive affair! In order to take the check-ride additional flight training is required, usually a minimum 15 hr. For most people (particular after studying for the ATP exams, time frame ~ 12-24 month) it's been a while since their last flight and currency must be regained first! Which can add to the total conversion cost!

Based on my own research and experience I came to the conclusion that in Poland the conversion can be done for the least amount of money, especially the flying part of the conversion. This is mainly because Poland still has the Zloty (Euro has not been introduced yet). But keep in mind, if it's been a while since your last flight and if you are not current anymore you need to get current again. Some EASA schools make a big deal out of it, others don't! Regaining currency on an ICAO license, especially a FAA license can be difficult and expensive in Europe!

Cost estimate ICAO CPL/IR to EASA (frozen) ATP:

- EASA ATP studies (distance learning) ~ 2.000-3.000€ (residential / full time course) ~ 5.000-6.000€ (the most time efficient way to get the ATP exams done, time frame about 6 to 7 month. In my opinion money well spent)

- EASA ATP exam fee/s (varies between different member states - some charge a "one-time-fee" only, others charge for each subject and sitting, can add an additional 500 to 2.000€)

- Flying part of the conversion: from 5.000€ up to 20.000€ (depends on if you're current or how proficient you are and the country in which you do the conversion)

- EASA Medical ~ 100€ (Poland) commonly 500-700€

- EASA general radio operator certificate ~ 300-500€

- MCC (multi-crew-coordination course, which is required by most EASA operators) starting at around 2.000€ and upwards (depends on if it's done in combination with a type rating or not. If a type rating is added costs of the conversion will increase by another 15-20k €).

This is only a rough estimate not taking into account any additional costs for traveling, accommodation etc. Which can make quite a difference.

Finalfantasy
30th Nov 2017, 20:19
I am doing my FAA PLE ME/IR -> EASA ATPL conversion at Global Aviation SA in Megara, Greece.
Distance learning for the ATPL Theory plus 30 hours of flying (15 Sim, 5 SE, 10 ME) for the ME and IR. Total cost is EUR 11500 including exam fees.
I can't speak for the quality of the school as I haven't been there yet.

sinisamandaric
2nd Feb 2018, 18:16
Hello, I have a question. Currently hold FAA CPL IR and looking to convert. Seems like they only acknowledge PPL and some flying hours. Everything else gotta do all over. Any advice? Thanks.

faaalltheway
3rd Feb 2018, 07:32
No man, they acknowledge everything but the theory.
who told you that?
plenty of info online, google fly in spain school, they have all the info on their website. Search for faa to easa. I haven’t chosen them though.
Come back here if you need more help.
I’m doing the same thing atm.

Good luck

johnjohncafe
3rd Feb 2018, 23:58
Hi, I am also planning to convert FAA CPL to EASA CPL. I am about to start the ATPL theory but I have to renew with IPC and BFR first.
I heard about Czech Rep or Poland or Sweeden for conversion.
Where are you converting currently ?
Cheers !

crp300
8th Feb 2018, 18:00
I am doing my FAA PLE ME/IR -> EASA ATPL conversion at Global Aviation SA in Megara, Greece.
Distance learning for the ATPL Theory plus 30 hours of flying (15 Sim, 5 SE, 10 ME) for the ME and IR. Total cost is EUR 11500 including exam fees.
I can't speak for the quality of the school as I haven't been there yet.

Hi, did you finish your conversion? if so, please tell me how was your experience with Global Aviation! I'm looking for a school to convert my license as well. Thanks!

pineteam
13th Feb 2018, 05:56
Hello guys,

I'm also thinking of converting my ICAO licence to EASA licence. I have 5000 hours and more than 700 hrs PIC on A320. I was told that with my experience I only have to sit and pass the 14 subjects, do a class 1 EASA medical and do a skill test with an approved Examiner; No need to attend groundschool. Could you confirm that?
Also is it possible to pass all the exams using the Bristol database only? I'm not willing to buy the books unless it's a must.
Thank you.

ersa
13th Feb 2018, 06:54
Pineteam

You can self certify to sit the exams in the UK.

I would not recommend just bashing the bristol database , many high time fix and rotary pilots have failed , just a word of warning.

pineteam
13th Feb 2018, 08:56
Ersa,

Thank you for your reply. I'm thinking of writing my exam at Kuala Lumpur and doing my medical in Hong Kong since I'm based in Macau.

ersa
13th Feb 2018, 09:09
I did mine in KL, there is a doctor also based a short train ride. He can do your medical also , PM if you need any info

Runway Change
13th Feb 2018, 13:25
Is it possible to write the 14 EASA exams at any EASA registered exam centre and then do my medical and conversion somewhere else?

paco
13th Feb 2018, 14:57
Yes, but it might be more convenient to do them where your medical resides

Avi0915
15th Mar 2018, 17:35
Hi Guys,

This thread looks really interesting.

I want to convert my ICAO ATPL to EASA License. Can someone please tell me the procedure and which countries would be better for the easy process of conversion?
Thank you :)

abdallah_amr
8th May 2018, 15:25
South Sweden School of Aeronautics. I did my FAA SE/IR -> EASA ME/IR there and it ended up costing around 6250€. There was a German girl there at the same time converting her FAA CPL & ME/IR to EASA and she was done in a week and a half. I can't imagine her course costing more than 4000€, but she was working as an instructor and therefore much more current than myself. The school requests a reduced course based on a foreign licence from the aviation agency Transportstyrelsen and that is the minimum hours you need to do. They try and get everything done in the sim, to recude costs for the student. Sim was 900 SEK / 94 €/h, single (AC11) 2100 SEK / 220 €/h, multi 3900 SEK / 410 €/h. They were very flexible with everything. They offer accommodation (nothing fancy) for 100 SEK/night and give priority to those coming from afar and staying at the school.

Hallo,
I send the School in Sweden a message .. but i want to ask if i can do the 14 ATPL subjects by my own without the classrooms.
Thank you

Melbfly
18th Jun 2018, 00:25
Contact FTA Global in Brigton, they will sum up what training you need exactly ! And they are very professional.
I am doing my Conversion training at Fly In Spain in Jerez, which gets you the UK CAA licence, too !
They do not provide too much detail when you request info, but sure get you there where you need to go.
Hey just wondering how you're finding Fly In Spain and how much time and how expensive is the conversion course? Do you get a frozen ATPL upon completion if all you have to begin is a CPL?
Cheers

rudestuff
18th Jun 2018, 10:14
Do you get a frozen ATPL upon completion if all you have to begin is a CPL?
Cheers

It depends which exams you do. You’ll end up with a CPL/IR but if you took the ATPL exams you’ll have ATPL theory credit as well, commonly referred to as a frozen ATPL. You’ll need the theory credit to fly multi crew.

DavidSpa
4th Jul 2018, 21:07
Hi, my name is david. i got my CPL/IR on USA and came back to my country Panama(latin america) and got my ICAO CPL/IR.

i have about 270 HrsI have Italian nationality and im looking to get the EASA with frozen ATPL I dont know where to start my process and I am also trying to find out the best prices. i have a brother that lives in hamburg, germany (this would help me with the housing to lower my budget if i find a school there) but I heard that in Sweden it's cheaper to do this conversion. after this i would like to get into the Ryanair cadet program.

If you have any info thanks guys

Warlock1
6th Jul 2018, 05:44
Hi David;

Actually, northern European countries are always more expensive then the southern ones. Try to do a price comparison between Czech, Hungarian and Greeks too.

rudestuff
6th Jul 2018, 09:55
First step is get a class 1 medical. Second step is sign up for the theory exams.

Hawker400
8th Jul 2018, 14:58
Hello everyone,
I've been searching for information on obtaining a radio operators certificate as a requirement for converting my ICAO to EASA and some flight schools (particularly German) keep showing me this. Along with redoing the EPL for ICAO english. Portugal has specific mention of using the level on the licence and Poland has no mention of redoing it as long as it's valid. Neither provided me with requests for a radio operators license. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it embedded in your license in some countries and others not?

Also does anyone have experience with the practical portion in Poland since I will be sitting my exams there already. ICAO-CPL ME-IR conversion FWIW

Thanks in advance

DavidSpa
1st Sep 2018, 06:10
I got this message from Stoflight in Sweden
thank you for your email and interest in Stoflight.

We can provide you with the conversion course, next available course is August 20th.

Our price is 24,500 EUR and is all included with accommodation.
I can give you a discount of 1000 EUR if you reserve your slot now, since it is limited seats... this price is like to much I’m reading here people talking about just spending 11000 € , please tell me for some place to get my conversion for a lower price if you know any place

bogdanpaul
5th Sep 2018, 09:11
Hi guys,
I am sure this topic is one of the most talked about here and generally on the internet.
Yet, after many days of research I'm still seeking for more suggestions according to people that tried and experienced!

I have made my PPL and IR in the US + I have 150 hours total flight time, from each 100 as PiC and from each above 50 are as x-country.
Now I want to continue in Europe, as I live here.

Europe is full of schools and possibilities and each school offer their own program to ATPL, each place seemed to offer different options.
The only one common ground I have seen is the ATPL theory part of 14 exams with Distance Learning or in class.

I would appreciate any information based on people experience here about where it is recommended to continue in Europe .
Country, School, what is their offered program, how to make the conversions, what you experienced, how you built hours, what difficulties you dealt on the way..
Did you find out that it was worth and easier to come with US license on different level? So is it better to come to Europe once you have PPL? or maybe once you complete CPL in the US?

I want to have once and for all a merged topic that people can recommend on their experience, based on their experience only.

Thanks guys!
Bogdan

ZekeE
5th Sep 2018, 09:48
Hello all,

First time posting on this forum, so thank you for your support in advance.

I hold an FAA CPL/ME (not current)- in a bad deal of cards I had to move to the UK (spanish citizen), under 30, and did not have any EASA licenses.

After years working on the commercial side of a major airline, I'm ready to follow my dream of becoming an airline pilot. Trying to stay in the UK as there is potential I could do work part time and maintain not only a link to my company but also some sort of employment.

Based on all I've read and studied looks like I have a couple of different options:

1) Try to convert FAA CPL/ME to EASA CPL - frozen ATPL. This as I understand would be roughly 7 months of ground school and flying? Admittedly I have not flown in a few years, so It would be beneficial to get some flying in.This also seems the quickest way into the right seat?

2) Do a modular program from scratch and re-gain all licenses under EASA?

3) Try to join a cadet program?

What are your thoughts and advice on all this?

Really appreciate all your support.

Ibraim
12th Dec 2018, 19:43
Anyone knows the cost range to convert an ICAO CPL ME IR to EASA in Portugal?

naveedriaz69
23rd Dec 2018, 14:43
Hello, I'm an A320 captain with 4700 PIC and 6700 total. I'm also keen in converting my ICAO ATPL to an EASA one to apply for jobs in europe. I've gathered from the discussion that an EASA medical is a pre requiste. So after gaining the class 1 med how should I go about this? Its cheaper in southern europe but I could afford staying with relatives in UK which will make it a little cheaper for me. I'll appreciate an email link to a school in UK which can tell me the whole procedure. I'll be grateful, thanx.

johnjohncafe
23rd Dec 2018, 15:13
Hello, I'm an A320 captain with 4700 PIC and 6700 total. I'm also keen in converting my ICAO ATPL to an EASA one to apply for jobs in europe. I've gathered from the discussion that an EASA medical is a pre requiste. So after gaining the class 1 med how should I go about this? Its cheaper in southern europe but I could afford staying with relatives in UK which will make it a little cheaper for me. I'll appreciate an email link to a school in UK which can tell me the whole procedure. I'll be grateful, thanx.

I would recommend you to contact the CAA where you want to do your training to get official and reliable information.

Robson Bueno
9th Feb 2019, 16:51
Hi, everyone

I´m a brazilian guy and i just finished my CPL Multi engine IR classes, and now I have almost 200 hours, 100 Pilot in Command, now i need to convert this ICAO licenses into EASA!

Can anyone help me?

Tks

AR777X
22nd Feb 2019, 16:45
Hello guys,

I hold a CPL/MEIR and I'm looking to convert my license to EASA, I have almost 80 hours as a PIC, I want your advice of which country have the simplest procedure and which academy could you recommend, because I have a lot of offers and non of them are clear and straight forward

paco
23rd Feb 2019, 11:06
talk to [email protected] for a cost-effective solution

nhyy
7th May 2019, 01:15
Ersa,

Thank you for your reply. I'm thinking of writing my exam at Kuala Lumpur and doing my medical in Hong Kong since I'm based in Macau.

Hello, how is your progress on converting your license to EASA license? I also want to do it in KL. Can you share your experience with me?

Vicente Lara C.
27th Jun 2019, 22:10
Hi all,

Does anybody know if European Pilot Academy in Malta is any good?

Looking to convert my ICAO CPL+SE-IFR into EASA Frozen ATPL/CPL+ME-IR.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hasan Dheya
20th Jul 2019, 12:38
Hey. I want to convert my FAA license to Easa as well. Where in Ireland bro? Let me know

Warlock1
21st Jul 2019, 08:59
Try Skies Aviation in Thessaloniki/Greece (NOT the one in Sweden!!)

Warlock1
21st Jul 2019, 09:02
Vicente Lara C

its a mess in terms of operation. Find alternative

Zachhh99999
25th Sep 2019, 14:50
Hello everyone , I would like to ask if anyone knows any country that can convert my icao CPL IR with atpl theory to easa ATPL with a budget ? Where is the best and good school ? I hope I can know some and your thoughts would be appreciated.

Starjkd
21st Jan 2020, 18:30
hey Hasan
how did you go? did you get any further info?
cheers

xpressmusic
19th Feb 2020, 10:57
Hey folks, currently I hold an FAA CPL/IR and want to get the easa frozen ATPL (theory part), do I have to covert my license to be able to go for the exams?

Arundaflyer
27th Oct 2020, 12:35
Malaysia EASA also can used to work in EUROPE ?

global2express
28th Oct 2020, 08:14
Malaysia is not an EASA member state.

Droste
16th Mar 2021, 14:13
Due to Brexit, the (MAvA) testing centre in Kuala Lumpur no longer able to conduct EASA exams.

TareghMsr
24th Oct 2021, 04:34
Hello guys,
I want to change my CPL-SE IR and Frozen ATPL from Iran to EASA. Due to the financial issues over here payment is a great deal and very important. So where is the cheapest country and flight school.
Thank you

Turlututu7
2nd Feb 2023, 07:16
Hello,

I am a Canadian Licences holder ( PPL + CPL + ME/IR ) with an PPL EASA licence,

I project to start the flying phase of my conversion asap when I finish my ATPL theory (9/14 1st attempt),

Do you have any recommandation of a school ? Global Aviation SA, fly in spain or Pannon air are still the best ? thank you :)

faaalltheway
3rd Feb 2023, 07:19
Hello,

I project to start the flying phase of my conversion asap when I finish my ATPL theory (9/14 1st attempt),

Do you have any recommandation of a school ? Global Aviation SA, fly in spain or Pannon air are still the best ? thank you :)

ICAO2EASA com - check our telegram group.
Also check superior air school in Greece

Warlock1
3rd Feb 2023, 09:38
ICAO2EASA com - check our telegram group.
Also check superior air school in Greece
I wouldn’t recommend Superior at all!!
I have changed my Canadian years ago in Skies Aviation in Greece. No hiccups. Check them out or PM me if you need help deciding

faaalltheway
24th Feb 2023, 15:32
I wouldn’t recommend Superior at all!!
I have changed my Canadian years ago in Skies Aviation in Greece. No hiccups. Check them out or PM me if you need help deciding

can you elaborate on why you wouldn't recommend them?

We have a telegram group and web page for this conversion and most people seem to be satisfied with them.
did you try them?

Thanks

Hawkers
5th Mar 2023, 17:13
Hello,

Better avoid them there i know many cases with bad experience ,also i'v been living there for years so experience tell's No no 😬 , but i can recommend you very good option where my friends have done the same thing as you,no waiting, no problems, fair prices, in few words,all of them are very satisfied ,people have done the conversion and ATPL Theory ,pass rate is high. Very good option from them is that you can do Theory 100% online from anywhere and exam centres can be on many places... Currently in Hungary fees are very afordable (cca 180€ for all 13 exams ) . Check them on https://www.easy-pilot.com/convert-to-easa#exam-in-europe , it does not cost you nothing but you can do great job !
Best of luck and happy landings ! 🙂

faaalltheway
6th Mar 2023, 09:18
Better avoid them there i know many cases with bad experience ,also i'v been living there for years so experience tell's No no 😬 , but i can recommend you very good option where my friends have done the same thing as you,no waiting, no problems, fair prices, in few words,all of them are very satisfied ,people have done the conversion and ATPL Theory ,pass rate is high. Very good option from them is that you can do Theory 100% online from anywhere and exam centres can be on many places... Currently in Hungary fees are very afordable (cca 180€ for all 13 exams ) . Check them on **** , it does not cost you nothing but you can do great job !
Best of luck and happy landings ! 🙂

I run a group on telegram where pilots exchange info and tips on icao to easa conversion and people obviously have chosen different schools. Although I expect that bad experiences may occur in most of them, we haven't received bad feedback overall from superior. Not that I would bet on them or any other school, but though it would do a better service by mentioning it.
The group website is icao 2 easa com and you can ask its members on the companion telegram group there what they went for and their feedback.

Hope this helps.

alexhluis
15th Feb 2024, 23:19
Hi all,

I am a PPL UK holder with merely 57 hours. I was considering moving to Brasil to do the hour building, CPL, IR and ME to then return to the UK to do the ATPL theory and conversion. My main question is:
Will UK airlines recruit a candidate with all the converted licences even though most of them were obtained abroad, in this occasion Brasil or will they simply bin the CV?

Thank you in advance.

Alex

Dzons
23rd Feb 2024, 08:26
Hi guys, does anyone know where i can convert my icao license to easa without studying all exams again and how much it will cost?

faaalltheway
24th Feb 2024, 11:22
Hi guys, does anyone know where i can convert my icao license to easa without studying all exams again and how much it will cost?
icao2easa.com/start-here

AlwaysWondering
24th Feb 2024, 15:28

No, it's not possible.
You have to do all 13 ATPL exams.
Doesn't matter if your a fresh CPL/IR holder or an ATPL holder with 20,000 multi-jet hours.

If you are the former, you need to complete a course by an approved ATO prior to sitting. If you're have a type rating and 500 hours on type, you don't - but it's still advisable to do so.

I think €15,000 is a reasonable estimate. But it varies a lot dependent on which CAA you choose and where you do the conversion course.

rudestuff
24th Feb 2024, 23:37
My main question is:
Will UK airlines recruit a candidate with all the converted licences even though most of them were obtained abroad, in this occasion Brasil or will they simply bin the CV?You will have a UK licence that you obtained in the UK. They won't know you also have a Brazilian licence unless you tell them. They could bin your CV for a million reasons but it won't be that.

Dzons
27th Feb 2024, 06:50
Couple years ago in Ireland you could do conversion for like 10k euros. You didnt study all over again. You just pay them and in few day you have easa licence. Today it is not possible to do that in Ireland