PDA

View Full Version : Spinning a four engine Handley Page Victor bomber

Centaurus
21st Aug 2016, 07:54
Now that's what I call an unusual attitude recovery!!

Victor Incident (http://jsaxon.org/bluesteel/books/victorin.htm)

Lead Balloon
21st Aug 2016, 09:27
Fantastic story, well told.

Ah for the good ol' days. :(

megan
21st Aug 2016, 10:01
Remember reading about it in the "News" or "Advertiser" the day after.

Stanwell
21st Aug 2016, 10:05
Was the airframe usable again?

gerry111
21st Aug 2016, 10:47
(Stanwell, Please read the third last paragraph.)

I remember a late night visit to have a look in a Handley Page Victor during May 1969. That was at RAF Wittering, U.K. where my family were guests of a Sqn Ldr Victor navigator based there. The aircraft had flown direct from Goose Bay and was covered in ice. I was able to sit in the pilot's seat as an 11 year old, just after the Blue Steel missile was removed..

Stanwell
21st Aug 2016, 11:06
Thanks, gerry.
As a primary school teacher once noted on my report card...
'Must pay more attention'.

Lead Balloon
21st Aug 2016, 11:13
It shows how real risk management was run in the real world.

gerry111
21st Aug 2016, 11:53
Stanwell,

May I empathise?

My year 4 teacher noted: "Gerald spends all his time comfortably ensconced in trivia, totally ignoring all the key facts." Ouch!

jas24zzk
21st Aug 2016, 13:36
bahahahahaha

My year 9 English teacher said i could do better if all my book reviews weren't on aeroplane books

Fris B. Fairing
21st Aug 2016, 22:22
My year 12 teacher reprimanded me for looking out the window at a DC-3. Serves them right for building a skool near an airport. I still turned out ok.

Stanwell
21st Aug 2016, 22:51
Fris B,
Are you sure about that?
One of my more clever moments was, as a kid, and passing by, I was gawping at the rivet detail on a DC3.
Right up to the point where my head contacted the trailing edge of the portside wing.
D'oh!

Fris B. Fairing
22nd Aug 2016, 07:26
Are you sure about that?

Sure that it was a DC-3 or sure that I turned out OK?

aroa
23rd Aug 2016, 03:46
At a high school on the west beach adelaide flight path I got to be able to watch the whole range of airliners of the day, and of the bomb test era. Top stuff.

Best of all was one day of severe glazing gazing the teacher says .. "since yr really not here in class, son so go outside and see what you want to see."
So I did and I did ...the fabulous futuristic looking Vulcan did low orbits around Adelaide and from the school oval had an unobstructed view of the magnificent roaring thing that looked like something out of a science fiction comic.

Sadly back in the UK on the homecoming ILS approach to London it crashed. Bugger.

Another big Pommie machine I got to see was the Bristol Britannia.

Aahh the good old days.

Ascend Charlie
23rd Aug 2016, 04:40
A Herc-flying friend told me of seeing a C-130 in the incipient stages of a spin.

His instructor's comment was "......well, there's something you don't see every day..."

Stanwell
23rd Aug 2016, 04:41
Sure that it was a DC-3 or sure that I turned out OK?

I was referring to the latter, Fris B, he says with a slap on the back. :ok:

gerry111
23rd Aug 2016, 11:33
In 1967, my family flew from Heathrow to Gerona (Northern Spain) return in a Bristol Brittannia "airliner". I remember the aircraft being very noisy which seemed a rather good thing as we passed over the Pyrenees. Fortunately, my next airline flight in 1969 was in a QF B707. That really was an airliner! :D

P.S. At Gerona airport, there were 6 BE-35's lined up with their V-tails a sight to behold..