PDA

View Full Version : I was just relaxing when!

N707ZS
21st Aug 2016, 08:23
Military helicopter carrying artillery cannon wipes out row of portaloos (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/news/military-helicopter-carrying-artillery-cannon-wipes-out-row-of-portaloos/vi-BBsS7qa?ocid=U220DHP)

West Coast
21st Aug 2016, 08:40
Shit happens

VP959
21st Aug 2016, 09:10
It always amazes me that people seem to forget that a 20+ tonne helo produces 20+ tonnes of downwash.

I recall "duck hunting" in the swamps in the US, with a SeaKing (only about 10 tonnes). The tactic was to fly very low from downwind behind ducks on the water. They'd hear you coming and start their into-wind take off run, usually getting to around 5 to 10 feet above the water before feeling the effect of 10 tonnes of downwash..............

In this incident I'm surprised that the crew didn't spot the risk. We used to go as far as sliding the cargo door open a bit to get a good look to see if anything might get blown around when landing somewhere unknown, and having seen large empty crates get blown around I'd have definitely flagged a Portaloo as a potential risk.

Takan Inchovit
21st Aug 2016, 10:44
Thats a wipeout. Almost looked deliberate :E

Groundgripper
21st Aug 2016, 11:02
I seem to remember that a hot-air balloon achieved the same effect some years ago, but rather more slowly.:uhoh:

GG

Local Variation
21st Aug 2016, 11:11
Shit hitting the fan.

llondel
21st Aug 2016, 20:18
I doubt if any of the shit hit the fan, given the downwash. It might have hit some of the bystanders though.

If you notice towards the end, there's a second helicopter already over to the right. He probably flew a bit further away from the portaloos and didn't disturb them (or possibly right over the top so they only had a vertical downwash component) and the second one flagged the route as OK because of that.

I hope no one was using one at the time.

Stanwell
22nd Aug 2016, 00:19
Groundgripper,
I've got a photo-sequence of that one.
Unfortunately, I'm not able to post them.
I'd wondered if any of them were occupied at the time.
Funny.

lomapaseo
22nd Aug 2016, 00:22
Either they drink a lot of beer or there must be about 1000 troops nearby

Fishtailed
22nd Aug 2016, 01:01
Quite impressed by the paper remaining in ribbons in that wind, can't be Izal in this day and age:eek::eek::eek:

Sir Niall Dementia
22nd Aug 2016, 12:40
I wonder if this was the same pilot. This one went on to all sorts of powerful places, and never ceases to demonstrate his ability.............................................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiR9mg-zE74

SND