PDA

View Full Version : In Each Life A Bit Of Rain Will Fall!

SASless
20th Aug 2016, 12:53
Hurricane Katrina was a disaster for Southern Louisiana.

The recent Rains have been a disaster for other parts of Louisiana.

Two different Presidents....two different reactions.

Same Media....same reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc5fRNJ8S7I

What role does the Media play in Disaster Reporting?

Toadstool
20th Aug 2016, 15:24
George W. Bush: Hurricane Katrina - SourceWatch (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/George_W._Bush:_Hurricane_Katrina)

"George Bush stayed on vacation. He didn't get back to work. When the worst natural disaster in our nation's history attacked us, George Bush STAYED ON VACATION. Why did the federal government stumble so badly on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday? Because on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday, George Bush stayed on vacation in Crawford, Texas. On Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday and Friday, vice president Dick Cheney STAYED ON VACATION in Jackson, Wyoming. On Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday, Sec. of State Condi Rice WENT ON VACATION in New York City and went to a splashy Broadway musical and bought obscenely expensive shoes. She went shopping,"

To be fair, two different Presidents, two indifferent responses. :ok:

obgraham
20th Aug 2016, 18:30
Wait, presidents are supposed to go down and rescue people? Who knew?

The big difference is that in Baton Rouge, people rescued themselves and their neighbors. In New Orleans they sat on the roof and waited for the Feds.

The media, of course, preferred to cover the latter. More dramatic. More appropriate melanin.

vapilot2004
20th Aug 2016, 20:47
What role does the Media play in Disaster Reporting?

Since 90% of American media today is controlled by a shocking 5 conglomerates, their role is no longer to inform with integrity, but instead to entertain and produce dividends for their corporate owner's shareholders. So the role of media today in a disaster is to produce enough coverage in order to maximize profits - the results of which can be seen across the airwaves and cable channels.

A Presidential visit in a disaster area can be uplifting for the victims and their community. On the other side of that, the same visit strains already limited resources, tying up law enforcement and other personnel that could otherwise be working on disaster relief.

One of the best things a leader can do is get out of the way and let those Federal agencies tasked with disaster relief go to work - that is if those Federal agencies are properly staffed. Bush demoted FEMA from a cabinet level agency upon taking office. He then put at the head of the agency, a horse lawyer (no kidding) with no disaster relief experience whatsoever.

Upon creation of the Department of Homeland (IN)Security by a Republican House bill, FEMA was virtually dissolved, and the Bush administration and Congress were repeatedly warned the agency had been drained of key personnel with disaster relief and recovery expertise.

The Bush administration also played politics, providing full support to Republican state Mississippi, while Louisiana, with a Democratic Governor, was given the run around and at one point, was asked to allow the Bush White House to federalize her state's National Guard - something Mississippi was not asked to do.

Two different disasters, two different responses indeed.

sitigeltfel
20th Aug 2016, 21:29
The man ultimately responsible for the fate the city suffered was Mayor Ray Nagin.
He ignored the experience a year earlier of hurricane Ivan, then failed to implement lessons that should have been learned during the training exercise called "hurricane Pam". The exercise showed exactly what would happen, and he did nothing.
Instead, he was concentrating on gathering dirty dollars from flood defence, and other city contractors, which resulted in him doing a ten year stretch.

SASless
20th Aug 2016, 21:56
The NOLA Emergency Preparedness Plan was excellent on Paper it was claimed.

Part of the Plan said Residents arriving at Emergency Shelters would have with them three Days supply of Food, Water, and Medicines.

We saw how well that worked out.

The Plan said the School Bus Fleet would transport Residents to high Ground.

One Bus stolen by a Good Samaritan was able to be put into service.

The Plan said when Ordered...Residents would evacuate....again we saw how that worked out.

Yeah....it was Dubya's Fault despite his having Signed the Federal Disaster Order THREE FULL DAYS ahead of the Storm at the Request of the Governor.

So when the City failed in its duty it became the President's fault.

vapilot2004
21st Aug 2016, 05:17
All a bunch of Republican ass-covering bull feathers, SAS.

Over 80% were evacuated before Katrina hit. School buses were a myth built upon a photograph taken after the levees broke - city transit buses were to be used, but after changing plans with the upgrade of Katrina from a CAT3 storm, FEMA was to bring buses in - the agency still claimed buses were coming - a full day after the storm made landfall.

Despite the fact that they knew the levees could be overtopped or fail (there were 3 separate White House briefings on this several days before Katrina made landfall), Bush, Chertoff (DHS) , and "Brownie" (FEMA) failed to pass this information along to the governor of Louisiana, the mayor, and the people of New Orleans. Within days of the failed levees, all three Bushies, including the man himself, claimed they had no idea such a thing could happen.

FEMA's wunderkind horse lawyer - Brownie: "I think we were all taken aback by the fact that the levees did break in so many places and caused such widespread devastation."

DHS director Chertoff: "I will tell you that really that perfect storm of combination of catastrophes exceeded the foresight of the planners and maybe anybody's foresight."

GWB: ''I don't think anyone anticipated the breach of the levees that flooded New Orleans."

vapilot2004
21st Aug 2016, 05:35
He ignored the experience a year earlier of hurricane Ivan, then failed to implement lessons that should have been learned during the training exercise called "hurricane Pam".

That report was never finished (only a draft was produced) as the Bush administration pulled funding. Most of the references to transportation for evacuation (to be handled by the Feds) in that unfinished exercise were labeled TBD, not state or local officials. The FEMA order for those evacuation vehicles came in the day after the hurricane hit and that "training exercise" was the first of several planned by FEMA, where the agency was understood to be the primary mover and shaker in implementation.

West Coast
21st Aug 2016, 06:03
VAPA

Is that your language or are you lifting it from somewhere? Very close to that a web site that's anti Bush.

Nothing wrong if it is, just be nice to know if we're arguing with an individual or a search engine.

vapilot2004
21st Aug 2016, 06:21
WACA

What language? Be specific as I have posted several paragraphs and have multiple sources including CSPAN, transcripts of testimony before Congress on the Federal failures during and after Katrina, a government report on the "Hurricane Pam" exercise, and news media outlet references, the local paper of record, and White House documents regarding the hurricane's tick tock.

I can tell you right now, the quotes posted from Bush, FEMA director Brownie, and Chertoff are from various media outlets where they all appeared on news programs during the days and weeks following Katrina.

Very close to that a web site that's anti Bush.

Seems to indicate you to be pro GWB, aka Dubya. Good to know.

Nothing wrong if it is, just be nice to know if we're arguing with an individual or a search engine.

When on these pages, and it has to do with politics, consider yourself to be arguing against the truth when you argue with me. ;)

West Coast
21st Aug 2016, 08:44
Seems to indicate you to be pro GWB, aka Dubya. Good to know.

I've never understood the need to assume something when just as easily a question could be asked and all doubt removed. Must have missed that day in debate class.

galaxy flyer
21st Aug 2016, 22:51
FEMA, another bumbling, incompetent agency brought to us by Jimmah Carter, promoted to its Peter Principle height of incompetence by Skick Willie to pay of Democrat unions, charged with lots of responsibility for things, like flood control, over which it has little authority. Also, until the state's Governor declares a state of emergency and requests Federal assistance, it is in standby status which is why it was slow in responding.

In vetoing the Texas Seed Relief Bill, President Cleveland had the role of the Feds about right,

And yet I feel obliged to withhold my approval of the plan as proposed by this bill, to indulge a benevolent and charitable sentiment through the appropriation of public funds for that purpose.

I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the general government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. A prevalent tendency to disregard the limited mission of this power and duty should, I think, be steadfastly resisted, to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the government, the government should not support the people.

GF

SASless
22nd Aug 2016, 00:24
the people support the government, the government should not support the people.

Which damn sure ain't Democrat Party thinking!

Long serving folks in government seem to adopt that way of thinking....that the Government exists to support them.

FEMA provides Emergency Shelter to victims of natural Disasters such as is going on currently.

But....as only Government does one thing to perfection....That being make simple shit difficult and EXPENSIVE...they have outdone themselves this time.

Go to any RV for Sale web site in the USA you wish....and see what you can get for 45,000-75,000 US Dollars and compare those RV's to the FEMA Shack.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30745820/ns/us_news-life/t/fema-rolls-out-new-mobile-homes-disasters/

11Fan
22nd Aug 2016, 01:04
Wait just a damn minute. You guys are totally overlooking the good news.

Barry pared the hole.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqY-L8CUEAAwkdg.jpg

Dubya woulda just took a drop.

vapilot2004
22nd Aug 2016, 05:34
until the state's Governor declares a state of emergency and requests Federal assistance, it is in standby status which is why it was slow in responding.

First bit of that is naturally true, unless ordered by the Feds, but the rest sorry GF, that's not quite what Congress said. Anyone remember what Bush said? I do.

Wonderworld
22nd Aug 2016, 11:00
The only redeeming thing about this flood was that the house of Tony Perkns went under. :E