PDA

View Full Version : Soggy bottoms

Senior Paper Monitor
17th Aug 2016, 20:35
I despair ! AND I am in full Victor Meldrew mode.

I retired to the pub earlier this evening - nicely tired after a long day's worked and opted to read a few pages of the complimentary Torygraph before a rather nice meal (roasted duck breast, accompanied by cabbage, heritage carrots [bloody wonderful] and fondant potatoes for what significance that has).

All ruined by reading the article that over 500 people (including the leader of Liberal Democrats no less - I didn't realise, or care come to think of it, that they still existed !!) have sufficient daftness and time on their pointless hands to formally complain that the trailer promotions for this year's 'Great British Bake Off' showed boys with a bowl of blue icing and girls with a bowl of pink icing were SEXIST !!!

If I ever even approach that level of stupidity and value my time remaining on this planet sufficiently lowly to waste one second of it on such absolute crap you all have permission to hunt me down and beat the very living sh1te out of me.

broadreach
17th Aug 2016, 20:55
Isn't it strange that the anti-sexism campaigners haven't reached the boob selfie websites yet? I learned about these sites from reading The Economist (really!) and further research indicates they've been going for nearly a decade!

chevvron
17th Aug 2016, 21:05
M & S do a prepared meal consisting of a large yorkshire containing layer after layer of delicious roast beef. Problem is how do you heat it in a conventional oven without leaving the bottom of the yorkshire soggy?

Chesty Morgan
17th Aug 2016, 21:21
Stick it on the barbecue.

jimtherev
17th Aug 2016, 22:23
Never tried this... but one remembers one's old granny heating the Yorky pud pan on the hob until the dripping (of course, dripping!) smoked, then pouring in the mixture and quickly transferring to the gas mark 21 oven. Never failed.
I've never managed this, perhaps because (1) erindoors won't let me have unhealthy dripping and (2) we don't have a heavy Yorky pud pan.

However, the M&S pud may benefit from a short time on the hob before transferring to the oven which is suitably hot? Worth a try?

Tankertrashnav
17th Aug 2016, 22:29
Do the anti-sexism brigade have anything to say about the absolute unbreakable rule in advertising where the dad is always shown to be a hapless idiot (albeit a loveable one) who can only get through life with the assistance of his competent wife? The recent Tesco ads with Ben Miller are a case in point - but I bet the Lib Dem leader hasn't complained about them :*

By the way, what are heritage carrots :confused:

Stanwell
17th Aug 2016, 23:57
Heritage Carrots?
Second-hand ones, perhaps?

Flypro
18th Aug 2016, 06:37
Heritage carrots ?

Just old !!

Stanwell
18th Aug 2016, 07:16
As a diversion...
For those of you hankering for a bit of "ol' timey entertainment", may I direct you to the music of the 'Soggy Bottom Boys'.
"A Man of Constant Sorrow" is a good one to start with.
These were produced for the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou".
I'm sure you'll know where to find them.

UniFoxOs
18th Aug 2016, 07:53
The orange carrot that we know and love was bred by Dutchmen to be patriotic. It seems to be now ubiquitous. Prior to that carrots were all sorts of colours - purple, white, blue etc. These are heritage carrots. A bit poncy but quite tasty.

Where are these boob selfie sites???????

Dan Gerous
18th Aug 2016, 11:43
Just type in "boob selfies" on gaggle. That should keep you occupied for a wee while.:E

Fareastdriver
18th Aug 2016, 13:38
Better make sure your anti-virus and anti-malware is up to date.

G-CPTN
22nd Sep 2016, 09:43
Mary Berry to leave Great British Bake Off ahead of Channel 4 move (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37437907).

sitigeltfel
22nd Sep 2016, 10:26
I notice that article is the lead item on the BBC UK news page. The editor needs to go stick his/her head in a gas oven if he/she believes that to be of the utmost importance.

andytug
22nd Sep 2016, 10:44
Quite literally "Bread and Circuses"....!

oldchina
22nd Sep 2016, 10:49
I read recently that the Advertising Standards Authority (which I suppose taxpayers fund) banned an ad because two people complained. I guess that's how some folks spend their day.

Sallyann1234
22nd Sep 2016, 11:21
It only needs one person to complain, if the ad does not meet ASA standards. It doesn't work by petitions

And it's paid for by advertisers, not taxpayers.

So you got that rather wrong :\

Dont Hang Up
22nd Sep 2016, 11:21
I read recently that the Advertising Standards Authority (which I suppose taxpayers fund) banned an ad because two people complained. I guess that's how some folks spend their day.

For the ASA it's more about the grounds of the complaint rather than the number of complainers.

They received countless complaints about a "Moneysupermarket" ad containing a guy wearing hot-pants. But as they found it did not contravene any guidelines on decency the complaints were not upheld.

goudie
22nd Sep 2016, 11:25
Thank you SPM. Until I read your post I was having a rather pointless day, not having found anything to put me into my Victor Meldrew mode.
I'm there now! I DON'T BELIEVE IT!

containing a guy wearing hot-pants.

I hate that advert I 'click' the remote as soon as it appears:suspect:

Sallyann1234
22nd Sep 2016, 11:28
Unfortunately for the ASA and the public, by the time an advert has been complained about and investigated the damage is usually done and the campaign finished. The best the ASA can do is ban it from being run again.

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Sep 2016, 21:12
If I ever even approach that level of stupidity and value my time remaining on this planet sufficiently lowly to waste one second of it on such absolute crap
Millions of people do, though - although I don't watch telly myself I gather that this particular programme is actually quite popular.

radeng
22nd Sep 2016, 21:20
I see the ASA have stopped a shop offering Enid Blyton golliwogs. Are dolls allowed in black or brown body colours or only in pink? If allowed in black or brown body colours, where is the difference when dressed between them and golliwogs?

Or am I being far too logical for the PC brigade?

G-CPTN
22nd Sep 2016, 21:40
The golliwog is not a realistic doll but is deemed to be a caricature - which is thought to be an offensive representation.

People love them, especially black people (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/21/right-to-sell-golliwogs-not-something-should-be-fighting-for-in-2016-suzanne-moore).

Loose rivets
22nd Sep 2016, 21:50
It was a looooong time ago that Robinson's reduced their label to 'Golly on the Jar' But it didn't stop there. Shame, he was such a dear little chap and only hearing the bigotry from older children would make it anything else. Now where did the older children get it from I wonder.

Discussing Robertson's jam 'golliwog' label is racist, judge rules - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10525121/Discussing-Robertsons-jam-golliwog-label-is-racist-judge-rules.html)