PDA

View Full Version : where to go now??

PA-28 CLOUD SURFER
1st Jul 2002, 22:37
Dear All,

I am a little stifled as to where to go next on my roller coaster ride to become an airline pilot. Having left college with good A-Levels in Maths Chemistry and Geography i applied to British Airways and Aer lingus for the sponsourship schemes, progressing through to the interviews and then being asked not to come back. ******!!

Deciding to go to University i am now in my final year and am on course to a high 2:1 in business. I have also currently just finished a ppl and am now, more determined than ever, to become an airline pilot.

Firstly i am quite a big chap play alot of rugby and am fit but wondering if my size will prevent me in any way of reaching my dream. I am 6"1 and 18 stone. Whats the general consensus there please.

Secondly is there any advice, should i apply now or should i finish the degree and then apply. Apart from BA and Aer Lingus does anybody now of complete sponsourship schemes to help a trainee on their way to surf the big wide blue, way up there, (the Sky), with the big boys?

All the help would be most grateful as i am a little stuck as to where to go next,

thanx,

;)

take_me_on_high
1st Jul 2002, 22:53
I know that BA have strict requirements on measurements and fitness tests for there pilots because their seats only take certain sizes. I think there max height was 5'11" but I could be wrong. Also, 18 stone might be a little on the large size for there seats. But when you say big, it sounds like you mean well built so there probably isn't much you can do about it. If on the other hand you are overweight and you know it, then start to lose it now because if you don't, you might not even get the class 1 medical. Remember that class 2 medical you got? That is the tip of the iceburg to the £400+ initial class 1 medical you have to get before you even think about embarking on a commercial course.
Also, if you have money on you side then go for it because it is VERY costly. I am 3/4 way through the ground school and it has so far taken me nearly a year to complete. I don't know of anyone who has passed all 14 ground subjects first attempt, so if you are like me when I first started thinking, 'well I'm bright, this should be a breeze,'think again. It is hard, and many have likened it to a 4 year degree in 8 months. You have a good chance if you are a hard worker, commited and ready to make sacrifices of the social kind for the next year. Aviation isn't for people who just like flying. You have to really want it and then some more.
Best of luck, and hope to see you in that left seat!

PA-28 CLOUD SURFER
1st Jul 2002, 23:04
Cheers Take_me_on_high,

Much appreciated the rapid response. But also pleasantly suprised also. Yeah i am a little overweight but not alot and run everyday to try to get down to my perfect weight of about 17 and a half stone. Is the class 1 medical really quite tough because from what i can remember my flying instructor told me i would be fine. Is he lying??:rolleyes:

Is there also any idea of when BA are going to start trainging again. i haven't checked for the last couple of weeks but i imagine they haven't yet.

And just the one last question, sorry to be a pain, but is it worth considering training in the US or not?

thanks again buddy,

:cool:

skylord757
2nd Jul 2002, 00:40
Don't listen to your instructor he is not a doctor, but do get the class 1 before you start. As for max height it is not 5' 11 more around 6' 4, I am 6' 2 and had no trouble in getting a job.

Sponsorship you can pretty much forget about for the next year to 2 years, there are far to many experienced type rated guys out there who are looking for work and until the market improves which is gonna take some time the airlines will look to recruit the guys with experience first and until that pool of pilots dry up you may be better off paying for it yourself otherwise you may end up waiting a long time

take_me_on_high
2nd Jul 2002, 09:36
GOD that is soooo anoying. Made a massive post to this and the server said it was busy. Lost the entire contents of what I was writing. Anyway, I shall write again (atleast most of it).

skylord757-thanks for the correction. It must have been a rumor I heard somewhere.

ok, traning in the US......
I did my hours building in the US and my night and multi. If I had the money and could do it all again.....I wouldn't. The US has a lot of open space and so you don't get that much quality experience. In addition, the school I went to in Orlando was terrible. You had to have the a/c back every night so you couldn't do a good flight around the country, the a/c were in terrible condion(atleast 3 incidents while I was out there) and my night and multi training was poorly put together. This was meant to be one of the most highly recommended schools in Florida. Everyone complained about the school while I was out there.(Marketting guru's really can sucker you in). I also did some flying in Australia in December along the east coast and got far more experience. Apart from the fact that I could rent the a/c for days at a time(provided I did minimum hours), the ATC contact I got was much greater than in the US. Also, airspace in Australia is a little closer in similarity to UK than the US. Australia seems to be halfway between CAA and FAA standards. Either way, it's different in both countries so you'll have to learn there airspace.
So my final advice on training abroad....If you can afford it, do it all in the UK(airspace is much more congested giving greater experience), but weather permiting or money restricting, you may need to go abroad so I'd recommend Australia-nice country, nice people,same price as US, better airspace exposure,longer trips allowed(depending on school). If you prefer US, then as with any school, make sure you are certain what the school is like. Don't ask the school or other schools. Ask other people that have been there. I can't recommend any as all the ones I went to were cr*p.
As for your medical, goto www.caa.co.uk and safety regulation group section and then medical(I think). This will show you the requirements for the class 1 medical. Also check out http://www.thusness.com/bmi.t.html to find out your body mass index. It sounds like that perfect 17 1/2 stone you mention is perfect for a big rugby player. Ain't nobody gonna stop you on that field. Your BMI should be around 26 or under to be within normal limits. Ok, important this....don't get depressed over what I have told you. If you want to be a pilot, do something about it. Don't give up at the first hurdle because there will be plenty. Some people may find the career path really easy, I haven't and nobody I have spoken to has either. So this could be your first hurdle, getting into shape for that class 1 medical. I was no spring chicken for my class 1 initial. I was a smoker and had a terrible lung function. I have since given up after smoking for 10 years. Most people will tell you that is the hardest thing in life. Well it wasn't that hard because I knew I had to do it if I want this career. I also now go to the gym atleast 3 times a week and eat healthily(most of the time!). Back on track to a healthy body.
So my advice on the health side is this.... Eat lots of fruit and veg, drink lots of water, scrap the junk food and the guiness(rugby player favorite) and get on that tredmill. Within 2 months if you keep at it and go for it, you'll get what you want. Speak to a health advisor about what you want to do and they will help you get that goal. Most staff in gyms are trained to give this kind of advise.
So get going soldier....up 2 3 4...up 2 3 4....
See you on the tredmill
JD