PDA

View Full Version : FAA upgrades Indonesia’s safety rating, enabling Garuda to fly to US

peekay4
16th Aug 2016, 09:57
Air Transport World --

FAA has upgraded Indonesia’s safety rating to Category 1, clearing the way for Garuda Indonesia to launch flights to the US.

The status change comes after Indonesia spent more than nine years labeled Category 2 under FAA’s International Aviation Safety Assessment Program. FAA downgraded Indonesia to Category 2 in April 2007, stating that the country was “no longer overseeing the safety of its airlines in accordance with international standards.” ...

FAA said in an Aug. 15 statement that Indonesia now “complies with [ICAO] safety standards and has been granted a Category 1 rating … The Category 1 status announced today is based on a March 2016 FAA assessment of the safety oversight provided by Indonesia’s Directorate General of Civil Aviation.” FAA noted that the status change means “Indonesian air carriers that are able to secure the requisite FAA and DOT authority can establish service to the United States and carry the code of US carriers.”

Full article: FAA upgrades Indonesia?s safety rating, enabling Garuda to fly to US | Open Skies content from ATWOnline (http://atwonline.com/open-skies/faa-upgrades-indonesia-s-safety-rating-enabling-garuda-fly-us)

Heathrow Harry
16th Aug 2016, 15:30
Not sure there's a good business case for them to fly to the USA TBH

Carbon Bootprint
16th Aug 2016, 22:04
Maybe not, but since Garuda is part of SkyTeam it could open the door for a possible codeshare with Delta if they're so inclined.

tdracer
16th Aug 2016, 22:20
Garuda used to have regular service to LA and Hawaii - my wife flew it out of LA a couple times and indicated the flights were fairly full, so I doubt they were money losers.
Delta has had code shares with Garuda in the past, and even now you can book Garuda through the Delta website.
In short, I expect Garuda to begin service to the US in short order, as well as Delta code-shares.

Heathrow Harry
17th Aug 2016, 11:58
Well I'd sure as hell fly them - their Business Class is way better than Delta's...............

peekay4
18th Aug 2016, 01:45
It looks like Garuda will fly CGK-NRT-LAX starting next year with 777-300ERs.

Garuda is currently deciding to purchase either the A350 or the 787.

Garuda's CEO openly hinted last year that Garuda might like to fly Boeing products to the US, if only that were allowed.

Accordingly, Boeing made it "a top priority" to help Garuda & the Indonesians regain the Category 1 safety rating, working closely with the FAA and various diplomatic channels.

Such gesture is sure to be "appreciated" by the Indonesians.

So will we see a 787 firm order soon from Garuda? Team Airbus is surely responding with a sweetened offer as we speak...

Sky Slug
18th Aug 2016, 04:02
According to Wikipedia they're 60% state owned. It's like Thai or Malaysian flying to the US, which they both have tried on and off. It's more prestige than anything else, there isn't enough business traffic to justify it. However, I read somewhere recently that the CGK runways can't handle non stops to Europe due to the soil/runway construction.

Metro man
18th Aug 2016, 06:22
Correct, Garuda route via Singapore on the way to Europe, non stop on the return leg due to Jakarta's runway being unable to handle a B777-300 at max weight. Upgrade planned and a massive new terminal just opened. Indonesian aviation definitely on the move.