PDA

View Full Version : Jet lag - pilots and doctors - practical advice?

Alchemy101
15th Aug 2016, 11:55
It'd be useful to see what PPRuNe suggests is the best way to manage jet lag, so as to generate some kind of community guideline.

As a doctor, I'm familiar with melatonin recommendations (http://www.cochrane.org/CD001520/DEPRESSN_melatonin-for-the-prevention-and-treatment-of-jet-lag) from a 2002 Cochrane review (quoted below):
Melatonin is remarkably effective in preventing or reducing jet lag, and occasional short-term use appears to be safe. It should be recommended to adult travellers flying across five or more time zones, particularly in an easterly direction, and especially if they have experienced jet lag on previous journeys. Travellers crossing 2-4 time zones can also use it if need be.

When I used to frequently work night shifts alternating with day shifts, I found the best tip was to practice good sleep hygiene.

This was learned through experience and through my seniors, and is passed down to younger doctors as they go through the same experiences. In particular:

Scheduling nothing during the day apart from sleep
When getting home, follow a routine such as shower, breakfast, sleep immediately, don't do the washing or watch TV etc or you wake up again.
Have your the usual breakfast/dinner, but changing lunch to a night time snack. E.g. after work, come home and eat breakfast, then go to sleep, wake up and eat dinner, then at about 2 am at work, have some food.
Have a snack at the circadian low period, which is often around the time of sunrise (for me, this was a yoghurt)
Avoid the temptation to nap during the night, as it reinforces the circadian patterns for time zone you're trying to leave

Transitioning out of the nights I found was also easier if you slept for 3 hours after the last night on call, then force yourself to get up and do things as per a normal, non night shift day. With practice, I found I could switch between nights and days without any issue.

However, this isn't exactly like jet lag, because the time zone was exactly the same, so I'm pretty sure these tips won't apply.

So, for those of you out there with experience, what are your tips for surviving and thriving time zone shifting?