PDA

View Full Version : RPL test and Crosswind

guni83
15th Aug 2016, 06:13
Hi everyone.
I am currently training in Australia, just finishing off RPL course.

I downloaded the test report form and noticed that crosswind landing and take-off are listed there. I imagine, if there is no crosswind during my test, the examiner will mark the form with "Training Records" and tick that off.

However, during my 50 hours of flying so far, I have never come across a day with a good crosswind to practice it. Ofcourse there has been days with some crosswind components where I had to use crosswind techniques to fly, but never a day with, let's say over 10kt crosswind component, to really call it a "Crosswind circuit" or a "Crosswind practice" on the log book.

If there are any examiners out there, is there a tangible competency measurement on a student's crosswind skills for RPL? For example, you must have done a x number of take offs and landing on a wind with more than x knots of crosswind? Or few circuits here and there on windy days where there is some crosswind acceptable? Although I haven't had a full hour of circuit in strong crosswind, if my instructor is confident that I can handle crosswind, can that be a tick in the box?

We rarely ever get strong crosswind at my base aerodrome. And due to full time employement elsewhere, waking up one morning to find there is a crosswind and ringing up school isn't always possible.

I am wondering if I need to postpone my flight test indefinately until we do encounter a crosswind and completed some circuits, or visit another airport where they frequently see crosswind to complete the journey.

Any advice, (Plus any tips you can offer to a nervous student facing RPL flight test:uhoh:) would be very much appreciated.

parkfell
15th Aug 2016, 06:48
You need to discuss this with your instructor/training provider. You need to be guided by them.
Some might say that you are demonstrating a lack of confidence in them by this post?