PDA

View Full Version : Navigation short cuts on airway dog legs.

NacelleStrake
14th Aug 2016, 16:09
I've noticed, on RadarBox24, that aircraft, when the airway they are on, develops a slight dog-leg, which takes the A/C off from flying a direct course, will fly a straight line from and to the next way point, re-joining the airway centre line.
A case in point is a Birmingham bound flight from Madrid entering British airspace at SALCO on UN864.
UN864 is then routed over Berry Head DVOR and then way-point EXMOR.
The A/C, instead of following the airway centre line, flew direct from SALCO to EXMOR, flying abeam of Berry Head DVOR.
No instructions, to fly this track, was issued by ATC.
Question is. Are pilot's doing this, as a matter of routine, to save fuel, etc?

Johnny F@rt Pants
14th Aug 2016, 17:26
They would have been cleared to do so by ATC, otherwise they would have to follow the flight plan.

DaveReidUK
14th Aug 2016, 19:13
It's also possible that aircraft aren't following the exact track you see on RadarBox24.

It all depends how many intermediate points are processed on their network (to save bandwidth). Tracks are constructed by "joining the dots", which doesn't really matter on a straight airway, as you can't tell how many points have been used, but where a change of heading occurs missing points may appear to show the flight cutting the corner even where has flown directly overhead the fix.

Flying Wild
14th Aug 2016, 19:27
Also, the flight plan might have been filed SALCO DCT EXMOR?

chevvron
15th Aug 2016, 05:29
If they are above FL195, they are in 'Upper Airspace' (denoted by the 'U' prefix for the upper air route) which is all controlled, hence they were not leaving and re-joining an airway as such, merely taking a short cut slightly off route but still in Class C controlled airspace.

NacelleStrake
15th Aug 2016, 23:23
Your comments are appreciated. Much obliged. Flying off centre line but still in controlled airspace.
Think I've found a loop hole.

AerocatS2A
16th Aug 2016, 02:26
No instructions, to fly this track, was issued by ATC.
I'm curious what makes you think this? You can be assured that whatever track an aircraft is flying in controlled airspace, it is one they've been cleared or "instructed" to fly.

tom775257
16th Aug 2016, 10:48
It is worth noting that short cuts might have been passed by the French (Brest control) to the crew on coordination with LATCC. Sometimes I get direct Honiley over Germany speaking to Rhein radar!

crispey
1st Sep 2016, 12:43
Night time flights into MAN often seem to get a "Direct to" the centre fix of the runway in use,sometimes from well down south.And especially from southern Europe airports.Must save loads of dosh but they tend to wake me up as they fly over here.Quieter than the Class 66 locomotives that ply the WCML at night though.

NacelleStrake
6th Sep 2016, 02:33
AerocatS2A. What alerted me to this practice was when I tracked my niece from Manchester to Brindisi, in the heel of Italy. The Ryanair flight often left the centre line, of an airway, in the Adriatic, and resumed the airway centre line passing a few miles, [abeam] from the DVOR or waypoint that would have took them off a straight course. This had to be done, surely, by in-putting a course, in the FMC, to do this?

Johnny F@rt Pants
6th Sep 2016, 07:41
Nope, it would be under guidance from the radar controller, who would instruct the aircraft to fly specific headings (no FMC inputs required) before re-clearing the aircraft to another reporting point.

AerocatS2A
6th Sep 2016, 09:31
AerocatS2A. What alerted me to this practice was when I tracked my niece from Manchester to Brindisi, in the heel of Italy. The Ryanair flight often left the centre line, of an airway, in the Adriatic, and resumed the airway centre line passing a few miles, [abeam] from the DVOR or waypoint that would have took them off a straight course. This had to be done, surely, by in-putting a course, in the FMC, to do this?

There are a number of ways you can end up off track. Unless you declare an emergency all of them require clearance from ATC. This may be in the form of an amended route clearance before you even take-off or it could be changes to the clearance once airborne. In your example of a flight tracking from SALCO to EXMOR and bypassing the Berry VOR, this would probably have been entered into the FMC yes, however it would not have been done on a whim by the pilots, ATC would either have directed them to "Track direct to EXMOR from SALCO" or the pilots may have asked for it. Either way it is not done without clearance or instruction from ATC. My question was what made you think there was no instruction from ATC? Had you been listening to the ATC frequency and didn't hear any instructions or were you just assuming that ATC wouldn't give that kind of instruction?

A few other possibilities is that the Berry Head VOR was never part of the filed plan, or that the tracking service you are looking at has inaccuracies.

In general, we are always looking for shortcuts, but nothing done in controlled airspace is done without ATC approval.

Rick777
19th Sep 2016, 00:32
Flying in the US late at night I have been cleared direct to an east coast airport at about level off leaving LAX. Direct routings are not unusual at all when you are under radar control and there isn't much traffic. You have to be careful about accepting them though because what looks like a circuitous routing may have been carefully planned for winds.

NacelleStrake
21st Sep 2016, 21:37
Thanks AerocatS2A and Rick777 for your esteemed input. Rick777, depending on your load sheet, FL410 normally prevents traffic conflicts.
crispey, I am aware of the direct centre line fix at Manchester from deep down in Germany. It routes them over Suffolk, Norfolk, etc.
As for direct routing from ATC, I remember the Polar route carriers getting; "Direct to 61° 10.'" 15 minutes out of Heathrow.
chevvron. Good evening, sir. I think what you suggest is the answer I'm looking for. Why are upper airways 10 miles wide? You can do barrel rolls........................ as long as you stay in controlled airspace.

chevvron
23rd Sep 2016, 05:05
Upper Air Routes through the 'blanket' class C airspace ie above FL195 are 'deemed to be' 10nm wide.

wiggy
23rd Sep 2016, 12:18
I guess the fundamental point for the OP is that the days of expecting to see all the high level traffic slavishly "beacon crawling" along published airways such as Red 1 and Green 1 have almost gone, certainly over the UK and Europe, where you have good radar and ATC coverage. These days almost all of the upper airspace is now available to civvy use, especially at night when the military aren't as active, so often as not despite the flight plan and upper airway structure airliners are going to be seen cutting corners (as flight plan or with ATC approval), or navigating on a straight line direct to a waypoint given by ATC (often to an exit point of the relevant FIR, or even a waypoint hundreds of miles and several FIRs down the road).

Heading out of London for the States years back you'd probably expect to actually join and track the the old "Green 1" to the border with irish ATC then do another beacon crawl overhead the likes of Shannon before heading to your oceanic entry point. Nowadays it's radar vectors from ATC in the climb, then probably at some point cleared " Direct Strumble", briefly be actually on an airway between Strumble and the Irish FIR, but as soon as you talk to Irish ATC you'll often be cleared direct to your oceanic entry point. That's basically the first line or two of the flight plan in the bin and you've only been on your planned route/on an airway centreline for less than 5 minutes....

NacelleStrake
23rd Sep 2016, 22:18
wiggy. thanks for the comprehensive response.

UG1? You've got me going now. UA1, UB1, UB4, UA25. UR1, UR4. On a trip down the leg of Italy once, back in the day when you could visit the cockpit, I noticed the aircraft was in-between Chioggia and Ancona VOR's tracking down UB23. The pilot had a request, from Italian air traffic control, to give him the miles from Chioggia VOR. He had already switched to receive the Ancona VOR. So, he had to re-tune to pick up Chioggia again. He told me: "They're always doing that. It's like they've got a device that tells them when you've switched VOR's." Coming home, I noticed that where UB23 meets Vicenza VOR it was a 90º left turn. And that's what we did at FL350. Wouldn't mind but it was after midnight. There is a short-cut that keeps you in German airspace called German Corner. It is a point the pilot has to create in the FMC to stay in German Airspace and still getting a Shortcut. It is defined as 12 NM on the 270 Radial (West) of KRH (Karlsruhe) VOR.
Latest charts show a triangle west of the KRH VOR with KRH 12 as the 'fix.'