PDA

View Full Version : Mo Farah

Uncle Fred
14th Aug 2016, 01:48
...is just spectacular. Takes a tumble early in the 10K and still prevails.
Britain has spawned a pantheon of athletics greats over the decades but I am close to granting him first among equal status.

He really had to work for this one.

Bravo Zulu Mo. True gold stuff from you tonight.

Effluent Man
14th Aug 2016, 08:14
Just informed our friend who is a fan that Mo isn't short for Morris, she is currently stunned.

crippen
14th Aug 2016, 10:06
Farah was born on 23 March 1983 in Mogadishu, Somalia.[13] His full name is Mohamed Muktar Jama Farah.[14] He spent the early years of his childhood in Djibouti with his twin brother.[15] He moved to Britain at the age of eight to join his father,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo_Farah

:D

MrSnuggles
14th Aug 2016, 11:35
Surrounded by a questionable team of professionals. Some hush-hush probably going on behind the curtains if you are to believe the talks about his coach.

FlyMD
14th Aug 2016, 12:28
Glad I'm not the only one amused by the fact that, when an athlete demonstrates grit and a stiff upper lip, he is suddendly not Mohamed any more but "Mo". Hypocrisy knows no borders, religion or race...

(Oh, and Switzerland's best medal hope in Athletics this year is called Karim Hussein, hope nobody will shorten it to the helvetic "Kari")))))))

wiggy
14th Aug 2016, 12:35
I take your point but I'm not sure MF was suddenly "renamed" in 2012, I think even when running in the UK as a gifted junior/teenager back in the day he was known to all and sundry as Mo...

As for the Salazar link....I'll admit doesn't sit well with me, lets hope all the success is down to the Oregon air..

VP959
14th Aug 2016, 12:43
I've mentioned before having a Muslim friend here. He shortens his name to Mo, too, and I believe it's a fairly common diminutive for Mohammed as a first name. I don't see anything at all suspicious about this, it's just the usual suspects blowing smoke, I think.

ORAC
14th Aug 2016, 12:57
However Mo has a dark, dark secret which will make him anathema to many on this site.........

..."Farah is also a fan of Arsenal F.C., and has trained with its first team squad. He has indicated a desire to become a fitness coach for the club once he retires so as to improve its conditioning record........"

angels
14th Aug 2016, 13:03
I wonder if there are people who won't count Mo's gold as a British one.

When John Barnes scored this goal against Brazil during a 2-0 win in the 80s --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0jdsPZmOWM

-- there were England supporters on the plane home who said the score was only 1-0 to England as they didn't count goals scored by black players.

charliegolf
14th Aug 2016, 14:17
I wonder if there are people who won't count Mo's gold as a British one.

Of course there are. They are called Window Lickers. Others include members of the Flat Earth Society; Momentum; EDL and Creationists.

CG

Effluent Man
14th Aug 2016, 14:48
A bit like Cat Stevens record company insisting that he is Yousef not Yousef Islam.

engineer(retard)
14th Aug 2016, 15:12
Top athlete that seems to be a genuinely nice bloke who adores his family.

Those that are using the thread to air their prejudices should hang their heads in shame.

Effluent Man
14th Aug 2016, 15:49
My contribution wasn't meant to denigrate him in any way, it just amused me that our friend genuinely had no idea what Mo was short for.

ORAC
14th Aug 2016, 15:53
My post is because I is also a Gooner. :p:p:p

KelvinD
14th Aug 2016, 16:17
So, you is a Gooner?
I am not. I am a Scouse and am laughing my bits off listening to the game right now.
Right now, we have Liverpool looking for a 4th goal and at the same time, true to form, the Arsenal lot have begun the booing. Can't they try supporting their team? Just for a laugh?

ORAC
14th Aug 2016, 16:49
transfer window still open, probably worrying about getting players qualified for playing in Champion's League this season. Happy to take a bet who finishes in top 4 this season - Arsenal or Liverpool.....

racedo
14th Aug 2016, 17:49
Funny how Immigrants are not welcome under Brexit but if Athlete is successful he/she is great.

Like Belgian born, Aussie Parents Bradley Wigging or Kenya born and competed for them Chris Froome.

Daily Mail hypocrisy at its worst.

G-CPTN
14th Aug 2016, 17:53
Funny how Immigrants are not welcome under Brexit but if Athlete is successful he/she is great.

Like Belgian born, Aussie Parents Bradley Wigging or Kenya born and competed for them Chris Froome.

Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country . . .

FlyMD
14th Aug 2016, 18:10
Now if Mo Farah were to be touched by a doping scandal, or express sympathy for ISIS (purely theoretical question you understand...), how many nanoseconds would it take for the rags to start calling him Mohamed again?

engineer(retard)
14th Aug 2016, 18:31
Racedo, my wife is a non EU immigrant, so put your petty prejudices away

ORAC
14th Aug 2016, 18:32
Why do I get these that this is turning into an "all Brexit supporters are racist" thread?

There's a lot of Brexit support in the Moslem community where they saw the Italian restaurants able to bring in as many staff as they wanted - but the Indian takeaways couldn't bring in a cook. And Mo's cousins would have been turned away as an attempt to limit the numbers as Rumanians flooded in?

And, FlyMD, distrust of Islamism (a quasi-religious/political extremist doctrine) is not the same as distrust of Moslems. Ask the family of the daughter killed in an air attack as she desperately tried to flee the doctrine she and her friends had been gullible persuaded to leave the UK for.

Effluent Man
14th Aug 2016, 18:41
I didn't read racedo's post that way at all. It's a bit like Andy Murray being British when he wins and Scottish when he doesn't.

FlyMD
14th Aug 2016, 18:48
ORAC........ What?? At this point would you like to put some order and relevance into your thoughts? Or are you answering another guy maybe?

chevvron
14th Aug 2016, 19:04
My personal view is that in international competitions of any type, you should only be allowed to represent the country of your birth.

Espada III
14th Aug 2016, 19:21
My personal view is that in international competitions of any type, you should only be allowed to represent the country of your birth.

But that doesn't work. Say you have parents from different countries and were born in a third. Not uncommon with people working in international aid, diplomacy, etc etc. You then return to the family 'home' aged two years and take the passport of that country. Who do you represent? You represent the country that educates you, nurtures you and contributes to your success.

SARF
14th Aug 2016, 19:48
mo farah is the next lance Armstrong ��

engineer(retard)
14th Aug 2016, 19:50
EM, the guy has won a gold medal and is possibly one of the greatest athletes of all time, we should be celebrating his talent. The fact that he appears to be a good bloke with it is a bonus. However, our resident lefties want to start another Brexit thread where they can wave the "Leave voters are racists" banner. It's all getting a bit boring, the referendum is over.

angels
14th Aug 2016, 19:53
Represent the country of your birth? That means my son is Chinese and my daughter Singaporean because I worked abroad.

It can't work that way.

racedo
14th Aug 2016, 21:36
I didn't read racedo's post that way at all. It's a bit like Andy Murray being British when he wins and Scottish when he doesn't.

There is an element in it there.

I have no problems with migrants but find those celebrating great British success being reminded that said person was a migrant who 10 minutes ago you wanted all migrants kicked out. Daily Mail readers at their finest.

engineer(retard)
14th Aug 2016, 21:42
Yawn..........

Fairdealfrank
14th Aug 2016, 22:08
Quote:

Irrelevant, never works.

Mo is an Isleworth boy, as indicated by the gold post box there since 2012, so is part of Team GB.

A basic concept that everyone should be able to understand, can't see why anyone would question it!

KelvinD
14th Aug 2016, 22:31
Bradley Wiggins has a British mother. Chris Froome has a British mother and father.
My youngest son was born in the Philippines yet he is British.

Uncle Fred
15th Aug 2016, 01:00
Geez Gents...I just figured (my bad I know) that there would be some folks out there in forum land who also appreciate athletics and the Olympics--flawed as it might be at the seams.

Mo Farah considers himself, and has for a long time, a Brit. He has been called Mo ever since being in short pants apparently. He is a first rate athlete and works hard to hone the craft of racing. If that might not fit into one's world view or choice of entertainment then so be it.

For those of us who have tried to hoof it around the oval and have an appreciation for it let us enjoy the moment.

Frankly I believe he is clean. There are reporters whose entire life is dedicated to uncovering a scandal in this field. Salazar is an odd duck no question but I think Mo knows better. He is not setting world records in the 5 or 10K but instead winning with a powerful kick. Sure it is a sit and kick strategy but it is winning him the race.

Not sure why a thread like this had to get off the rails into Islamism and Brexit...

engineer(retard)
15th Aug 2016, 06:23
Well said Fred :)

Hempy
15th Aug 2016, 06:42

But if you did that, England wouldn't have a Test Cricket team...

A total of 61 England Test cricketers have been born abroad from 15 different countries.

For reference the full list is below.

AUSTRALIA: Billy Murdoch, John Ferris, Sammy Woods, Albert Trott, "Gubby" Allen, Adam Hollioake, Ben Hollioake, Jason Gallian, Tim Ambrose.

SOUTH AFRICA: Basil D’Oliviera, Tony Greig, Ian Greig, Allan Lamb, Chris Smith, Robin Smith, Andrew Strauss, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Ian Trott.

WEST INDIES: Lord Harris, Pelham Warner, Roland Butcher, Norman Cowans, Wilf Slack, Gladstone Small, Phillip DeFreitas, Devon Malcolm, Chris Lewis, Neil Williams, Joseph Benjamin.

NEW ZEALAND: Andy Caddick.

INDIA: K.S. Ranjitsinhji ("Ranji"), Edward Wynyard, Richard Young, Neville Tufnell, Douglas Jardine, K.S. Duleepsinhji ("Duleep"), Nawab of Pataudi, Sr., Errol Holmes, Norman Mitchell-Innes, George Emmett, Colin Cowdrey, John Jameson, Bob Woolmer, Robin Jackman, Nasser Hussain, Minal Patel.

PAKISTAN: Usman Afzaal, Owais Shah.

ZIMBABWE (formerly Rhodesia): Graeme Hick, Paul Parker.

KENYA: Derek Pringle.

ZAMBIA: Phil Edmonds, Neil Radford.

GERMANY: Donald Carr, Paul Terry.

ITALY: Ted Dexter.

PERU: Freddie Brown.

HONG KONG: Dermot Reeve.

PAPUA NEW GUINEA: Geraint Jones.

DENMARK: Amjad Khan.

wiggy
15th Aug 2016, 07:00
SARF

"mo farah is the next lance Armstrong ��"

LA was a massive revenue generator/ sponsor attractor, ended up bigger than the sport and as a result was able to have far to much influence over the sport's governing body. Whilst there might be current parallels in athletics, it isn't MF.

I think Uncle Fred made a good point about MFs times and tactics, as he said Salazar is (always was, even as a mighty fine competitor ) a strange character often at war with the establishment so is bound to attract critics.

Una Due Tfc
15th Aug 2016, 14:39
But if you did that, England wouldn't have a Test Cricket team...

There's been a few Irish lads playing for the English cricket team in recent years, wasn't one of them the captain?

As regards Mo, he does seem like a lovely bloke, and I hope he is clean, but if he was Russian or even American I don't think the UK media would ignore the Salazar issue like they are.

ATNotts
15th Aug 2016, 16:20
There's been a few Irish lads playing for the English cricket team in recent years, wasn't one of them the captain?

I feel quite sorry for Ireland when it comes to cricket, as if the Irish find themselves with a successful player they find their way into the England team even if they haven't got any English blood in them. Then, come the Cricket world cup, or T20 world cup, they can't put out their best team as England has snaffled their best players!

Una Due Tfc
15th Aug 2016, 16:23
I feel quite sorry for Ireland when it comes to cricket, as if the Irish find themselves with a successful player they find their way into the England team even if they haven't got any English blood in them. Then, come the Cricket world cup, or T20 world cup, they can't put out their best team as England has snaffled their best players!

I don't blame the players in the slightest. Cricket barely exists here, if they can head over there, reach their full potential and earn a living doing it then good luck to them.

There is a moral argument about the English born player who dreams of playing for his country all his life and is kept out of the team by someone who, as you say, has no drop of English blood in them (although very few of us wouldn't have common ancestry in fairness)

Uncle Fred
15th Aug 2016, 16:41
I will admit though to not being able to get my head around the new 400M World Record set last evening by Van NieKerk. I simply cannot fathom 43.03--it is beyond my ken.

Until very recently, dipping below 44 was seldom run. I remember as a very young lad my brother watching the American Lee Evan pull it off for the first time in Mexico City in 1968. Sure Michael Johnson has had the record at 43.18 but that was considered a towering accomplishment that might never be broken.

...and before someone tells me that records are made to be broken I wrestle with a 43 400M being 10.75x4. The womens' 100M was won only a shade faster than 10.75.

Either way, if it were clean then my hat is off to him.

oh...and out of lane 8 to boot!

pineridge
15th Aug 2016, 17:19
Espada 111 said...........".You represent the country that educates you, nurtures you and contributes to your success"

So the thousands of students attending U.S. universities on athletic scholarships should represent the U.S.A.?

wiggy
16th Aug 2016, 06:38
As regards Mo, he does seem like a lovely bloke, and I hope he is clean, but if he was Russian or even American I don't think the UK media would ignore the Salazar issue like they are.

it's not been ignored by all the UK media, but to the UK tabloids MF is a national treasure so he's untouchable unless the sky falls in (which I really hope doesn't), they'd rather go with catchy clickbait such as "Reckless Cyclist Only Wins Silver" ;)

The Salazar/MF coverage hqs usually been buried away in places where most people won't see it, for example as in the link below the Guardian has regularly carried articles about it, such as this:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/18/alberto-salazar-mo-farah-uk-athletics

OTOH certainly some in the UK broadcast media are guilty of trying to turn a blind eye to the mentioning any doping, at all, by anybody (maybe they're briefed not to mention the "D" word it if at all possible). If you didn't normally follow athletics but had decided to watch the BBC coverage of the men's 100m final the other day you'd still not have a scooby do as to the real reason why Justin Gatlin got so much booing on several occasions from many of those in the stadium ( not saying I agree with the booing). I think it might have been Steve Cram who finally felt forced to mention that Gatlin had "former problems".:yuk:

charliegolf
16th Aug 2016, 17:56
If you didn't normally follow athletics but had decided to watch the BBC coverage of the men's 100m final the other day you'd still not have a scooby do as to the real reason why Justin Gatlin got so much booing on several occasions from many of those in the stadium ( not saying I agree with the booing). I think it might have been Steve Cram who finally felt forced to mention that Gatlin had "former problems".

I watched a good bit of coverage of the 100m, and Gatlin was openly referred to as having served 2 doping bans- no dressing it up.

CG

Sue VÍtements
17th Aug 2016, 03:58
Bit of a non-sequitur I suppose but I always thought it odd, that in the USA, you can be in the military, but not an actual American. In fact I believe it's one of the accelerated paths to citizenship.

Martin the Martian
17th Aug 2016, 11:40
Well, every time I've heard the name Justin Gatlin mentioned on BBC News it has been preceded by the words 'Drug Cheat'.

Hempy
17th Aug 2016, 12:33
Gatlin was introduced on Australian TV during the 100m final as 'convicted drug cheat Justin Gatlin'.

No pussy footing around with Jason Richardson :ok:

david1300
17th Aug 2016, 12:43
And they mentioned twice banned drug cheat ever so often too on our TV broadcasts

wiggy
17th Aug 2016, 16:17
Must have missed the comments re Gatlin on the Beeb live coverage so thanks for the correction.

That said there's certainly one commentator who has a reputation for not rocking the boat ( TBF it's not Cram).

racedo
17th Aug 2016, 18:01
Bit of a non-sequitur I suppose but I always thought it odd, that in the USA, you can be in the military, but not an actual American.

Gurkha's
French Foreign Legion are but other examples

Skywards747
17th Aug 2016, 18:29
Canadian Ben Johnson won the 100m gold medal in 1988 Olympics. But somehow Ben Johnson who was caught cheating with PEDs few days later was an immigrant from Jamaica.

Uncle Fred
21st Aug 2016, 06:31
Congratulations to Mo on earning the double Double. Not sure how many here remember the name Lasse Viren, but Mo joins him in carrying this honor. Good racing.

ORAC
21st Aug 2016, 06:53
And he got in his support for Arsenal when talking to Dotun Adebayo on R5L after the race (Dotun being a Spurs fan).

Uncle Fred
22nd Aug 2016, 00:33
At least he was not one of those blokes who, when it started to look as they might just do it after all, started chirping about how he had known from the start that last season's Leicester City squad was sure to prevail against all odds.

Farah likes The Gunners. His choice and one I will freely grant him after his performance on the track.

One thing that I have liked about the Rio Olympics is that when the national anthems are played, there is a pretty smart detachment of uniformed personal raising the flags and rendering salutes. I am not sure if this is done at every event location, but it was at the ones I watched and it added a nice touch and element of respect to the moment.

I certainly did not read it as a sign of nationalism, but rather one of respect for the countries that, in most (but not all!) cases fielded the athletes who garnered glory.

Other than for the runs of Bolt, some pretty sad crowds in the main stadium though. London rocked full in 2012. Must have been a serious buzz kill for the track athletes like to step out into that void.

G-CPTN
4th Aug 2017, 21:15
Incredible last lap and finish (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/40833730).

Uncle Fred
4th Aug 2017, 22:31
That was indeed a brilliant piece of running. I hope he gets the 5K as well for another double.

Anxious to see what Bolt does tomorrow. He was very unhappy with his heat and did not at all look in form...as far as on cannot be in form and still run a 10.07!

chevvron
5th Aug 2017, 00:35
Personally I think allowing athletes to 'take up' citizenship of any country, then allowing them to represent that country in international competitons has become a total farce. Look at the number of Jamaican athletes representing Turkey on the first night. I bet we'll find some of the Polish athletes are actually Russian, thereby beating the ban.
I say, you can represent the country of your birth and no other country, so Farah should be down as Somalian not British.

Hempy
5th Aug 2017, 01:30
Ha! If you'd tried that on you wouldn't have been able to field a competitive (occasionally) 'national' rugby or cricket side for at least the last century.

Uncle Fred
5th Aug 2017, 01:37
I don't think Mo is an athletic mercenary. I have seen him brush more than one reporter back on this question.

Irrespective of where he comes from or where he is going, he is an outstanding runner on the oval and it is a joy to watch. Who could have watched that last 100 meters last night and not have been impressed.

Will be interesting to see how his marathon prospects play out.

Btw, that is twice now that I have seen him tripped and he just kept moving.

Ogre
5th Aug 2017, 03:13
This sort of thing has been going on for years, remember Zola Budd (South African but ran for the UK), Greg Rusedski (Canadian but played was British at Wimbledon), and there are more than a few cricket and rugby players at national level who only got the colours after a strenuous analysis of their family tree.

And of course they is the current British Number 1 tennis player, Andy Murray. British when he wins, and Scottish when he doesn't.....

Hempy
5th Aug 2017, 04:11
I'm sure there was a time when Andrew Strauss, Kevin Pietersen, Nasser Hussain, Ben Stokes, Matt Prior, Andy Caddick and Phillip De Freitas were all in the same English Test team....

The Nip
5th Aug 2017, 08:00
This would not be so prominent if the press were a bit fairer with their coverage of certain sports.

All through the Tour De France, the press/media continually referred to 'Kenyan born Chris Froome'.

Yet the same press/media continently forgot to mention 'Belgian born Bradley Wiggins' and other successful sports people.

Celebrate the fantastic achievements of these outstanding sports people but be fair.

IMHO I do have doubts over Wiggins being 'clean' though.

racedo
5th Aug 2017, 08:32
Was his mate Mr Salazar present.

charliegolf
5th Aug 2017, 09:04
Personally I think allowing athletes to 'take up' citizenship of any country, then allowing them to represent that country in international competitons has become a total farce. Look at the number of Jamaican athletes representing Turkey on the first night. I bet we'll find some of the Polish athletes are actually Russian, thereby beating the ban.
I say, you can represent the country of your birth and no other country, so Farah should be down as Somalian not British.

I don't object to residency qualifications, but they should be 10 years minimum; and they should absolutely not be allowed if the individual has competed at any level for another country. The moving around for money bit is a farce, as has been said.

Hempy, Wales would be doing a lot better at rugby if the residency rules were tougher...

CG

Tankertrashnav
5th Aug 2017, 10:18
"...sport is an unfailing cause of ill-will..."

George Orwell, The Sporting Spirit, 1945

Curious Pax
5th Aug 2017, 14:11
I don't object to residency qualifications, but they should be 10 years minimum; and they should absolutely not be allowed if the individual has competed at any level for another country. The moving around for money bit is a farce, as has been said.

CG

While having some sympathy for that point of view - the Slovenian/British tennis player being a case in point - it should be pointed out that Mo Farah moved to Britain at the age of 8, so definitely not a sporting mercenary.

Una Due Tfc
5th Aug 2017, 17:17
IMHO I do have doubts over Wiggins being 'clean' though.

I have even bigger doubts about Froome. Cycling uphill at full chat with virtually zero increase in heartbeat in a faster time than Lance Armstrong.....

Training Risky
5th Aug 2017, 17:41
While having some sympathy for that point of view - the Slovenian/British tennis player being a case in point - it should be pointed out that Mo Farah moved to Britain at the age of 8, so definitely not a sporting mercenary.

Well 'Sir Mo' is now a Somali-American as he now lives in the USA because he got a better training deal.

The Nip
5th Aug 2017, 18:18
I have even bigger doubts about Froome. Cycling uphill at full chat with virtually zero increase in heartbeat in a faster time than Lance Armstrong.....

Not to go off topic, but I do believe Froome to be clean. I can imagine there is so much scrutiny of Team Sky, not just by officials, but team mates as well, that it would be almost impossible for it to take place. It would be the end of pro cycling if he wasn't clean. IMHO of course.

charliegolf
5th Aug 2017, 19:33

Exactly CP. Talupe Faletau very similar. I just feel Samoa, Fiji and Tonga would be punching even more above their weight if they were able to keep more of their players.

CG

Jack D
5th Aug 2017, 19:58
Mo is a Somali , that's all ! .Very Fine athlete , but not British

racedo
5th Aug 2017, 21:23
Not to go off topic, but I do believe Froome to be clean. I can imagine there is so much scrutiny of Team Sky, not just by officials, but team mates as well, that it would be almost impossible for it to take place. It would be the end of pro cycling if he wasn't clean. IMHO of course.

Right so what was in the Jiffy Bag and how many TUE's does he have.

KelvinD
5th Aug 2017, 21:58
What flavour of passport does Mo Farrar hold? I suspect it is British. That makes him British.
But never mind Mo; what about Mr Bolt? I bet he is seeing off a few G7T in his hotel room now.
Losing to Gatlin!

Una Due Tfc
5th Aug 2017, 22:05
What flavour of passport does Mo Farrar hold? I suspect it is British. That makes him British.
But never mind Mo; what about Mr Bolt? I bet he is seeing off a few G7T in his hotel room now.
Losing to Gatlin!

A twice convicted drug cheat who set his PB in his 30s, unheard of in sprinting.....either he's up to his old tricks or they have given him a permanent advantage

G-CPTN
5th Aug 2017, 22:09
Is Mo Farah a Christian or a Muslim?

Do Muslims consume alcohol?

chevvron
6th Aug 2017, 03:46
A twice convicted drug cheat who set his PB in his 30s, unheard of in sprinting.....either he's up to his old tricks or they have given him a permanent advantage

Presumably Gatlin will have been tested straight after the race. He might not have taken drugs recently, but I understand it takes the human body several years to purge some types of drug (the chemicals in one cannabis 'joint' take 7 days to clear so if you only smoke one per day, the effect is an accumulation of the chemicals) and although Bolt is getting on a bit in years, it's still highly suspicious that Gatlin had that late 'surge' which took him ahead of both Bolt and Coleman.

wiggy
6th Aug 2017, 12:31
it's still highly suspicious that Gatlin had that late 'surge' which took him ahead of both Bolt and Coleman.

Ummm.... well I've not heard that theory before but what I would say is the problem of using an argument that a late surge= drugs is that it brings into question how Bolt has won most of his races over his career.....

As I saw it Bolt made a poor start last night, even by his standards ( and he admitted as much himself in a post race interview), and left himself too much to do although he was gaining on Colman at the end. Gatlin made an average start, accelerated and "simply" ran through albeit at high speed, I didn't see much of a surge...I suspect he was helped by the fact he was off to one side.

Anyhow as has been pointed out elsewhere Athletics is in a bit of a mess at the moment. Last night all the Russian Athletes were sat at home on suspicion of doping whilst a proven two times doper won a championship medal....

racedo
6th Aug 2017, 12:49
Anyhow as has been pointed out elsewhere Athletics is in a bit of a mess at the moment. Last night all the Russian Athletes were sat at home on suspicion of doping whilst a proven two times doper won a championship medal....

Don't forget one is American the others are Russian.
Putin personally ordered people to take drugs ............... if you believe Daily Mail where Gatlin was just he took wrong medicine by accident.

Hempy
6th Aug 2017, 13:55
The fastest 100m times ever. Those caught doping struck out in red.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGfwQreXcAI7qsU?format=jpg&name=large

The Nip
6th Aug 2017, 16:19
Hempy,

There is always a different view of U Bolt. He has been tested a lot, especially during the competition season. But Jamaica failed to carry out blood tests for 7 years.

I am not casting any aspersions on U Bolt.

EGLD
6th Aug 2017, 19:22
Froome, Conta, Rusedski, Pietersen - all a bit of a joke really isn't it

Mo doesn't fall into that category, maybe because of the amount of time he has lived in the UK, but sporting nationalities are a joke for the most part.

But it's all about to get a lot more interesting with all these dudes becoming chicks - in 10 years the records for men's and women's sports will all be aligned

reynoldsno1
7th Aug 2017, 01:14
I just feel Samoa, Fiji and Tonga would be punching even more above their weight if they were able to keep more of their players.
Unlikely, as the local competitions are not of a high enough standard. The PIs punch above their weight because many of their players are involved in overseas competitions. Not only that, many of the Samoa & Tonga team members were born in New Zealand.

wiggy
7th Aug 2017, 07:26
The Nip..fair comment. Hempy's table looks remarkably like those you see for Tour de France results in the early 2000's.....and those tables have continued to be revised over recent years in the light of retrospective tests and admissions.

I hope all the high profile athletics competitors are or have competed clean, I really do, but the warning from cycling is that senior sports administrators can have problems when a single individual is so dominant that he or she becomes the public face of the sport. I hope Athletics is immune from that sort of problem...:hmm:

The Nip
7th Aug 2017, 09:43
Froome, Conta, Rusedski, Pietersen - all a bit of a joke really isn't it

Mo doesn't fall into that category, maybe because of the amount of time he has lived in the UK, but sporting nationalities are a joke for the most part.

But it's all about to get a lot more interesting with all these dudes becoming chicks - in 10 years the records for men's and women's sports will all be aligned

EGLD,

I believe there is a difference between those born to British parents and those taking up a British residency. It is a bit unfair to put them all in the same catergory.

I don't quite agree about whether someone lives in the UK. I think you will that Mo Farah now resides in the USA. He did indeed spend most of his formative years in the UK.

It is a different argument whether those sports people who have made their fortune 'representing' UK plc, should have honours bestowed upon them when moving to Monaco etc to avoid paying UK taxes.

Don't forget that these most of the athletes are funded by the lottery. I would have more respect if they paid back that more to the young upcoming athletes once they have made their millions through sponsorships.

wiggy
7th Aug 2017, 10:20
"One survey at the 2011 world championships in Daegu estimated that a staggering 29% of athletes who competed had taken a banned substance in the previous 12 months. The truth is that testing is the Maginot Line in the fight against drugs in sport – well-intentioned and solid-looking at first glance, yet all too easy to get round in practice."

From..

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/aug/07/iaaf-sebastian-coe-complacency-100m-final-jeers-world-championships-gatlin-bolt