PDA

View Full Version : Televisions and Internet

Ancient Observer
13th Aug 2016, 11:41
The Ancient household has 4 tv.s. It has one BT3 router/modem combo.

Of the tvs, one is an 5 year old Sony, (wi-fi connection), with all software up to date, one is a Samsung (wired connection via Humax box), the other 2 are Panas. Panas both doing OK.

Over the last few months, the Sony, and then the Samsung, have stopped conversing with the BT box.

Picking on one issue first,
Going in to the Sony, it says it is connected to the home network, and the BT Home hub manager says it is connected. However, nothing requiring t'internet actually works. Catch up, films etc. I've disconnected, re-connected, turned off/turned on separately and together, but none of these work. I've re-inserted up to date software in to the Sony, and it still won't work.

Given that the BT box says it is connected with everything, and given that the Panas both work OK, as does wi-fi to a Sky box, I am inclined to absolve BT of the blame, unless it is a complicated divorce between BT and Sony!!

Any ideas? Help welcome.

On the Samsung, which connects via a Humax box, I found that one of the disconnect/reconnect, turn off/turn on combos worked. However, the Humax box is no longer reliable, so I guess I will replace it.

crablab
13th Aug 2016, 21:49
Have you tried running physical cables to the devices in question?
Wireless can be unreliable...

MG23
14th Aug 2016, 03:58
Is it some kind of DHCP problem? I've noticed that our Apple TV box sometimes doesn't get name server info from DHCP, and then it can get very confused trying to connect to things on the Internet.

Track Jitter
14th Aug 2016, 11:03
If by "BT3 modem router" you mean a BT Home Hub 3, I have found that it at times refuses to support a wired Ethernet connected device (my pc for example which is normally connected by a Ethernet cable direct to the hub) and a wireless connected streaming device at the same time. Other wireless devices will also show poor performance once the streaming device is connected. Changing to a wired connection once in this state does not improve matters. In time it might but I have never given it the chance.
In this condition the home hub dashboard will show connected at your normal sync rate to the exchange but a speed test will give a slow speed result and some devices may fail to show any speed test result or even load the page.
The quick way to get things working as normal is to reset the home hub.
Your situation may be different but the above describes my situation and experience with a Home Hub 3.

Ancient Observer
15th Aug 2016, 13:00
Thanks for all the ideas!
crablab,
Two of the wireless gadgets work fine - one of the panas and a Sky gadget. So I know it can work....But I will try to move the Sony to one of the places with a Pana, that I know works. That will reduce the possibilities.
Track Jitter,
Yes, it's a BT 3. BT claim that their 5 is better, so I might investigate that. However, my home speed is about 45mbps and it allows streaming on one of the tvs and 2 ipads all at the same time. The wifi-rate at the ipads, well away from the home hub, is over 20mbps.

MG23,
The Humax has all the right numbers..................but it has stopped linking to some of the internet now. It won't work apps, but will allow me to watch progs from earlier. Both need internet access!!
The Sony just says it is connected. I'm not sure it has the right numbers. I think a physical move from non-working locations to known working locations is my next step.

Thanks all,
AO