PDA

View Full Version : Rosters

Juicebox
14th Jan 2001, 01:48
What is a typical day/ week like for short and long haul pilots in terms of rostering and working hours?

Skyjob
15th Jan 2001, 02:29
I can only speak for myself, but for this month:

Rostered for 40 sectors (65 hours), 5 nightstops, 5 standby's, 8 days off and 2 days of rest.

In reality 11 sectors have been taken from me until now, but 6 others have been received back instead of originally (again) standby's.

AffirmBrest
15th Jan 2001, 13:29
Myself: typically 4-6 days on, 2-4 days off, occasional night stops (1 or 2 a week), 6 SBY days this month, total rostered about 50 flying hours, with 3-4 sectors each working day

(edited 'cos I didn't pay attention the first time - that's what happens when you try to save on net call charges...soz!)
------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height WITH CAUTION...

[This message has been edited by AffirmBrest (edited 20 January 2001).]

Mr Benn
16th Jan 2001, 02:01
I'm short haul charter, which I guess is more like medium haul most of the time, with 2 to 4 hour sectors most of the time.
In winter its quieter than summer.
This month I was rostered 5 flights, c30 hours flying, 8 days off, all the rest were 8 hour standbys.
In summer generally working around 4 or 5 days a week, sometimes 6 or 7 days in a row, then one day off, or two together if we're lucky, total of around 8 days off per month. Around 2 night flights per month in summer. Perhaps one over the whole winter period. Complete mix of duties, earlies, nights and day flights, in any order they get thrown on the roster.
Most days are 2 sector out and backs.
Some working out of other bases in summer, can include up to a week away at a time.
Generally a selection of destinations.
Back home most nights, occasional one or two night stops with full crew.

The man formerly known as
17th Jan 2001, 14:38
Thanks for raising this topic.Its one I've been meaning to put up for a while.

The two replies so far have been better than I was imagining. I was almost completely put off the whole game by a story I heard of rostering whereby your time is never your own.

One guy had to get the coach from Glasgow to Manchester airport to retreive his car after five nights away.

I suppose rostering gets better after you move up the ladder from Turbo Props to the bigger boys (tell me it does)

Needmorecash
17th Jan 2001, 17:50
You guys have to earn all that money somehow.
Skyjob - 65hrs a MONTH, some people do that in a week!!

Skyjob
17th Jan 2001, 18:16
NeedMoreCash - probably right, but our company is still operating according to CAP-laws and therefore every 28 days we cannot exceed 100 hours of actual block times before going airborne again. Although I have to say, some months in the past have gotten up to 95 hours in 28 days. In a way you I will have to enjoy my days of relative rest now then, won't I.

The Arena-Bar King!
17th Jan 2001, 19:22
At the end of the day, you have 100hrs/mth, 800hrs/yr for the rostering boys n girls to play with, and we definately get v close to the 800/yr with my mob!!! A general months work is anywhere between 70 - 80 flyin hrs/mth (leave just about stops you bustin any limits) in s/h mainly 3 - 4 day trips, the odd ****ty day trip generally starting around 0-Christ hundred hours! As for quality of trips, they get better as you get senior and get what you ask for not what you're given!!! This probably means you get around 10 - 12 days off / month, mainly Mondays & Tuesdays, half of which you need to recover from being shagged out after 6 days of early (too bloody early!!) starts! Still, definately beats workin for a livin!?!