PDA

View Full Version : F-35B lift fan failure & survivability

Just a spotter
11th Aug 2016, 17:20
A question for the Mil types and associated techs; Having recently watched some coverage of F-35B's demonstrating their VTOL capabilities, I was wondering what is the considered survivability of the pilot should the forward lift fan fail while in operation. I'm assuming the aircraft would pitch violently down (with the tail rising rapidly) with a possible yaw and roll just for good measure.

How would the ejection system operate in a situation close to the ground with the rear of the aircraft or a wing coming around to "catch" the seat & pilot as they exit? (assuming there's time to bang out).

JAS

DaveReidUK
11th Aug 2016, 17:44
The F-35B has an auto-eject system to handle the lift fan fail case.

Just a spotter
13th Aug 2016, 09:38
Thanks Dave

JAS

Dr Illitout
29th Aug 2016, 20:34
Quiet simple. When the fan fails (as it inevitably will) Biggles will be automatically ejected. Hallelujah! he/she is saved.
Meanwhile, in other news, a tumbling F-35 falls onto the deck of Bettys big boat. Luckily there are no deck crew, other aircraft or ordinance in the way.

Rgds Dr I

EW73
31st Aug 2016, 02:22
How about the survivability aspects of being ejected without notice, not prepared for the G forces as you would be in a commanded ejection?

DaveReidUK
31st Aug 2016, 06:29
How about the survivability aspects of being ejected without notice, not prepared for the G forces as you would be in a commanded ejection?

Still preferable to the alternative. :O

I would imagine that, in the same way a carrier pilot anticipates a possible bolter on every landing, that an F-35B jockey is alert to the possibility of a lift fan fail and ejection when approaching the boat..

kkbuk
31st Aug 2016, 21:06
Sorry to be pedantic, but it is a ship and not a boat.

DIBO
31st Aug 2016, 21:50
Well in case of the F35B, a (big) boat might just do the job ;)

longer ron
31st Aug 2016, 21:55

With a Sharp End,Blunt End + 'Roof' - good terminology for Fisheads :)

DaveReidUK
1st Sep 2016, 07:17

Having known many naval aviators in my time, I can assure you that "the boat" is how most of them refer to the thing they're supposed to land on.

Probably just to annoy the matelots. :O